• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Using the Edge Insight CTS 2

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I watch EGT3 and EGT4, when temperature are around 800 or so, I shut down truck. I do know some wait until 500, but that too long of a wait for me. Long as it less then a 1000, I'm okay with shutting down. Just not practical to have to wait until 500 or so degrees.

EGT1 and EGT 2, drop down very quick, so I don't have to concern myself with it.

Here is the picture of my Edge Layout that I use all the time. As you can see I just started the vehicle, remotely and took picture of setup

IMG_1626.jpg

lukos

Nov 19, 2015
Truck Year
Bad luck for the 2016 folks, i wont work with '16 models, got the cts2, and only shows generic, nothing about dpf, or egt, just got off the phone with tech supp and they said that they dont know if it will ever work with the 2016's but if it does, it will be well after august. engineers are focused on the cummins, ford and gm at the moment :(

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I wonder why it wouldn't work? Basically same everything as '15s right?

lukos

Nov 19, 2015
Truck Year
no clue, bf i bought it, i checked on the website and it said that is compatible with 2015 ecodiesel so i thought it will do the same for the 16's even tho on the site for the 2016 ecodiesel is not listed. also when first installed the CEL came on, checked the codes with it, and 2 codes, one for can bus high communication, and second for TCM, after clearing it, never came back

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
It doesn't surprise me, I have the 2015 and when I the dealer updated my firmware, several months back, I lost two features, REGEN Distance and my option to force a REGEN doesn't work. Edge did reply to my inquiry and email me and they want me to call them, as they want to step it through with me.

The 2016 firmware have obviously been updated. Hopefully it not encrypted, in an attempt to stop people seeing what happening.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
The CTS just reads OBD data, by guidelines I'm fairly certain they can't "block" owners from viewing the data.

But, It's interesting how it doesn't work with the 16's. I feel like they'll eventually get it working..

Also, I come across a post today the CTS 2 is increasing to a MSRP of $429.99, Just FYI.

lukos

Nov 19, 2015
Truck Year
not sure if the torque app works or not, however when i added on the screen was showing 0 value even at close to full throttle

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
There are protocols for several car companies and certain sections are open to the public, however, each manufacture can use a section for their own use and lock it out, if they so choose.

DashCommand is an OBD application for the iPhone and it reads the public section (limited info), however, it isn't able to decode sections reserved for manufactures test equipment. They would need to hack in and it is beyond the software programmers ability or resources.

It is my understanding, Edge had to hack the information, with the help of FCA tools that the dealer mechanic uses. I stand corrected, but that the impression I get.

CARiD

Jan 28, 2016
Truck Year
There's actually a pillar pod for the CS2 the part number for it is 38405. It's not everyone's cup of tea because of the look, but as for the functionality it's pretty convenient.
38404 will also work for the CTS1. I
You can look it up here.
In general it looks pretty much like the one on the picture:
edge-pillar-pod.jpg

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Anyone else notice the CS2 reads the coolant temp (ECT) 3-6 degrees cooler then what the EVIC displays???
9bad6bdfbcd5de4e712e75aef07091f7.jpg
7ad789dd8dc7181bc0f8f2e79cec14c1.jpg

Last edited:

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
That's annoying!

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Communication delays and probably the cpu on the Edge is a low end device.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Communication delays and probably the cpu on the Edge is a low end device.
I don't buy that. The oil temp is spot on and the coolant temp displayed by Edge is consistently low, not low as in its just slow in catching up with the actual reading. From my understanding the Edge just reads the trucks sensors correct?

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
If you try one of those wifi or bluetooth units using the iPhone, you can see the lag in display due to slow port communication. I have one of those units and the lag was very noticeable, but felt it wasn't good enough and incomplete, so don't use it, just sit there in the storage room. Often those interfaces use old wifi and old bluetooth units.

There is a lag in about everything, including cell service, the further away, the more it appears. As a ham, I use to talk to Amateur Satellites to other stations who are in the range of the Satellite, I can hear my own voice, coming back. Transmit on one band and receive on another band. Took getting use to hearing your voice coming back and carrying on a conversation. If you try to bounce a signal to the moon and back, there is a lag about 5 seconds or so. Say Hello and you will hear your voice coming back "Hello"

Fortunately the Edge is cabled and less lag, but it is there if you watch it carefully. It isn't enough to worry about it. It is really a computer and there are bottlenecks along the way. I'm sure FCA uses, just what is adequate for their purposes.

I have been monitoring my temperatures, however, the truck EVIC is in Celsius, while I have the Edge in Fahrenheit. So can't track as accurately, but it close enough for me. Try it both way, but I ended up liking the two standards.

FYI: So far, all is well and went over 19,000 KM. KO2 running beautiful. As for DEF, it last longer than oil change period. Still at my first DEF of 10.00 worth at Flying J truck stop. Doesn't use much DEF.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
About the KO2s Seiko, read some reports you made but might've missed it; any info on negative mpg impact? I assume some because of increase in weight per tire, as well as rolling resistance. Just curious if you have any numbers?

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Nothing negative yet and my original tires are the same in size. On a highway trip, 9.3L/100Km, (weather was -27C, winter time of course) the best I ever got on the highlander was 9.5. They are very very quiet and perform great in the snow, ice and dry pavement, gravel roads.

I haven't seen any negative impact on fuel, the size is the same, treads different, but don't notice any increase drag or indications.

I do keep a database of fuel consumption, and expenses, cost per km, etc. My life mileage is 26 mpg Imperial, that is abut 21 US gallons. You can't get no better accuracy then life mileage, Total all the fuel plus mileage driven to that point.

Some trips I peaked 30 mpg US and 36 mpg Imperial. It appears to be getting better too. I only have 19,000 KM (12,000 miles)

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Good to know. My intentions are to keep rolling with OEM size (or close as I can get) as well. I see BFGs in my future. Appreciate the info once again.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Just did a trip to Stanley Glacier park for snow shoeing and drove around Banff. Arrive home and it was read 9.2, broke my record. Prior trips, before using Shell V-power, it was around 10. Going to Banff, upgrade and winds. The tires do corner excellent. A couple of areas, marked 95km, I comfortably do it with 120km. Couldn't do that with the tires, that came with the truck, summer time. Tires are quiet, smooth and no indication of wear yet. I am over 20k km now.

Speed limit is 110 and I'm doing 120km.