• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

RECALL W58 - Crankshaft position sensor tone wheel may delaminate

Gommy

Feb 22, 2021
Truck Year
I took my 2014 EcoDiesel to dealer today for the W58 recall and was told they had seen the upgrade take out the vehicle’s ECU in some instances. I respectfully declined the “fix” and drove home. Anyone else heard this?
Pardon my ignorance, but what is an ECU? Engine Control Unit?? Is that the engine computer?

Gommy

Feb 22, 2021
Truck Year
UPDATE: The dealership has had my 2015 Ram for this whole week now. AFTER finally performing a DIAGNOSTIC on my truck at the end of business on Wednesday, the dealership told me that the issue with the message I had was that a DEF injector was bad and had to be replaced along with the fuel filter. My fuel filter was replaced back in February right before all the emissions recalls were performed. I asked the service advisor why I needed a new fuel filter if I just had one installed 6 months ago. She said when the injector goes bad it "gunks everything up". My question is, if the fuel filter filters the fuel going into the engine and the DEF is supposed to suppress the emissions going through the exhaust system that comes out of the engine, how does DEF effect the fuel filter?? I asked if this issue could be a result of the emissions work that was performed earlier this year and if the cost of this repair ($1000+) would be covered. Unfortunately I have been informed that this is not an issue that is covered and the repair costs come out of my wallet.

Soorichie

Jul 25, 2021
Truck Year
Summary
Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain 2014-2018 Ram 1500 and 2014-2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles equipped with 3.0L diesel engines. The crankshaft position sensor tone wheel may delaminate causing the engine to lose its ability to synchronize the fuel injector pulses and cam shaft timing, possibly resulting in an engine stall.

Remedy
FCA US will notify owners, and dealers will update the powertrain control module software to maintain vehicle propulsion by reading the camshaft position signal in the event that the crankshaft position signal is lost, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin October 2, 2020. Owners may contact FCA US customer service at 1-800-853-2002. FCA US's number for this recall is W58.

Notes
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safe rcar.gov.
Well mine(can shaft positioning sensor) was replaced on my 2015 Ram 1500 in nov-dec of 2020. They charged me $1200

Gommy

Feb 22, 2021
Truck Year
Well mine(can shaft positioning sensor) was replaced on my 2015 Ram 1500 in nov-dec of 2020. They charged me $1200
You should contact Mopar Car Care and ask for reimbursement if you paid for a recall item.

Joe H

Feb 17, 2023
Truck Year
When I get on MOPAR to read about the recall status, I see that it states that parts are still unavailable. I am supposedly in the system at my local dealership to be called as soon as parts are available, but am considering the thought of trading in my beloved truck. I have always wanted this particular truck and hate that I am having to consider this. Has anyone actually gotten their truck fixed yet? Thanks!
My tone wheel delaminated on my 2017. It took a month to get it back. Now fighting with ram to get my tow charge of $380 back

Frank246

Feb 20, 2019
Truck Year
Good luck! I'm still trying to get my warranty promise of up to $1000 for lodging, food and expenses while being stuck in TX from SC home due to starter/tone wheel failure. SINCE AUG. 6th LAST YEAR!!
They say they are behind. Ya think!!!

Bob S.

Sep 1, 2016
Truck Year
Tone wheel delaminated at 240,000 km!
Contacted FC about the recall does not apply to any truck over 100,000 km or as old as my 2014 Eco Diesel.
Three weeks for tone wheel and sensor in Canada, 1.5 weeks to have the part shipped from Greece to Puerto Vallarta MX.
I do not know how a parts guy in Greece can get me these parts quicker than FC in North America, something very strange going!
Repaired and operating once again with a spare Tone Wheel and sensor in my truck!

Macs

Nov 29, 2023
Truck Year
100,000KM oh no not math again I thought I would discover what “Ram” was fixing in a one hour repair for the recall I assume they are not pulling motor and trans apart and replacing it so can I assume they are doing some computer information for it to ignore loss of signal. Don’t know why I don’t trust them crooks.

Bob S.

Sep 1, 2016
Truck Year
100,000KM oh no not math again I thought I would discover what “Ram” was fixing in a one hour repair for the recall I assume they are not pulling motor and trans apart and replacing it so can I assume they are doing some computer information for it to ignore loss of signal. Don’t know why I don’t trust them crooks.
The one hour job I believe was to get a signal off of the camshaft sensor! The actual Tone Wheel and sensor can only be done by dropping the transmission about a two day job in the shop once they have the parts on hand!
Getting the parts was the problem you would think if your company was having a problem with $59.00 tone wheel you might have them in stock!