• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Warning about OCI indicator confuses me...

kd1yt

Nov 16, 2015
Truck Year
I just bought a 2015 (new) 3.0 last week. I _really_ like this truck! I'm someone who actually does read manuals, and am usually good at figuring things out, but the following passage on page 185 leaves me _way_ more confused than enlightened:

"NOTE:
Failing to follow the oil change indicator, changing your oil and resetting the oil change indicator by 0 miles remaining will prevent the diesel exhaust filter from performing its cleaning routine. This will shortly result in a Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) and reduced engine power. Only an authorized dealer will be able to correct this condition"

I also looked at the procedure to reset the oil change indicator, which looks pretty straightforward- similar to what I have experienced on other vehicles- but doesn't shed any light on the most confusing part of the warning above, which is "resetting the oil change indicator by 0 miles remaining...."

Is the warning that you will mess things up if you go past 0% and then reset to normal? I would assume that a reset takes the OCI back to 100%, so I can't wrap my head around what they mean by "resetting the oil change indicator by 0 miles remaining...." What the heck is a reset "by 0 miles"? And how/ why does the OCI indicator affect the DE filter?

I am strongly considering doing an initial oil change at low miles just to get all the break-in wear particles out of the engine, and just want to make sure that I don't foul something up in whatever I am supposed to do/ not do in resetting anything at the time of the oil change.

Thanks in advance

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Just change it under 10k each time, hit the reset button, and drive on.

Jun 1, 2015
Truck Year
DE filter? That must be something I missed reading my manual. I don't remember seeing a maintenance schedule for that?

u130747

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
I just bought a 2015 (new) 3.0 last week. I _really_ like this truck! I'm someone who actually does read manuals, and am usually good at figuring things out, but the following passage on page 185 leaves me _way_ more confused than enlightened:

"NOTE:
Failing to follow the oil change indicator, changing your oil and resetting the oil change indicator by 0 miles remaining will prevent the diesel exhaust filter from performing its cleaning routine. This will shortly result in a Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) and reduced engine power. Only an authorized dealer will be able to correct this condition"

I also looked at the procedure to reset the oil change indicator, which looks pretty straightforward- similar to what I have experienced on other vehicles- but doesn't shed any light on the most confusing part of the warning above, which is "resetting the oil change indicator by 0 miles remaining...."

Is the warning that you will mess things up if you go past 0% and then reset to normal? I would assume that a reset takes the OCI back to 100%, so I can't wrap my head around what they mean by "resetting the oil change indicator by 0 miles remaining...." What the heck is a reset "by 0 miles"? And how/ why does the OCI indicator affect the DE filter?

I am strongly considering doing an initial oil change at low miles just to get all the break-in wear particles out of the engine, and just want to make sure that I don't foul something up in whatever I am supposed to do/ not do in resetting anything at the time of the oil change.

Thanks in advance
I don't find that passage in any manual i have on page 185. Could you please tell me which manual ? Owners manual, diesel supplement, user guide.

kd1yt

Nov 16, 2015
Truck Year
I don't find that passage in any manual i have on page 185. Could you please tell me which manual ? Owners manual, diesel supplement, user guide.
This is page 185 in the "2015 User Guide Ram Trucks" that came with my truck. It's a softbound book, about an inch thick and about eight inches tall and five inches wide...