• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you trade for your EcoDiesel?

T Bone

Oct 27, 2016
Truck Year
I traded a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and I'd do it over and over again.
I traded a 2013 Ford 150 quad cab .
Nothing wrong with the truck, just ED was priced great and had the fuel savings.
Oh and s much nicer looking truck.

sbanks

Oct 30, 2016
Truck Year
I traded a 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road.
It was an great truck off road with the lockers and crawl control etc but it wasn't that comfortable with all the driving I do up and down I-80. . My back was always hurting.
I rode in my boss's ED and couldn't believe how comfortable it was, Went to my local Ram dealer and scored a 2016 Longhorn for 20% off with an unlimited power train warranty.. I can't believe how well this truck rides, no more backaches. There is no comparing the ED to the Toyota performance wise especially on the interstate.
Life is good.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I traded a 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road.
It was an great truck off road with the lockers and crawl control etc but it wasn't that comfortable with all the driving I do up and down I-80. . My back was always hurting.
I rode in my boss's ED and couldn't believe how comfortable it was, Went to my local Ram dealer and scored a 2016 Longhorn for 20% off with an unlimited power train warranty.. I can't believe how well this truck rides, no more backaches. There is no comparing the ED to the Toyota performance wise especially on the interstate.
Life is good.

That's a great deal, and the powertrain warranty just puts the icing on the cake. I've always liked the looks of those smaller Toyota's but it's a no-brainer to have a full size truck that rides as good as the EcoDiesel does, and get the fuel mileage it does compared to the smaller offerings out there.

Bigjima

Sep 8, 2016
Truck Year
I traded a 2001 Ram Sport it had 400,000 miles on it and got 7 mpg uphill, downhill, i miss the old body style but love my 2015 Ecodeisel.

Attachments

• dodge.jpg
    dodge.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 9

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I traded a 2001 Ram Sport it had 400,000 miles on it and got 7 mpg uphill, downhill, i miss the old body style but love my 2015 Ecodeisel.

Wow, 400K is a lot of miles. That one did you well..

Ryan

Jun 30, 2015
Truck Year
So, what did you trade for your EcoDiesel?

Are you happy you made the switch?
A 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 2x4 with 115k miles I bought it with 30k and I never in that time had to replace anything other than typical PM. It had the 4.8L

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
A 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 2x4 with 115k miles I bought it with 30k and I never in that time had to replace anything other than typical PM. It had the 4.8L

My father had a 2000 year with the 5.3L back in the day, it was a great truck as well.

Ryan

Jun 30, 2015
Truck Year
My father had a 2000 year with the 5.3L back in the day, it was a great truck as well.[/QUOTE
I bought a boat and was towing up a steep hill and missed my turn, when I tried to get going again the truck had a real hard time. That's when I decided. I test drove a few trucks, but when I got in that one, I fell in love. Lol

fhedrickjr

Dec 15, 2016
Truck Year
I was the proud owner of a 2008 Jeep Commander with the 4.7 L V8 and a tuner. It treated me well and owed me nothing (103K miles on the odo). My Grandson needed a vehicle in a hurry so, my Wife and I compared notes, sold him the 'Mander and used the $$ he gave us to put the down payment on the 2015 RAM. The ONLY thing I was the least bit concerned about was the fact that the Jeep Quadra Trac II was rated one of the best 4x4 systems on the market. I am hoping the powers that be incorporated some of the finer points of that system into the RAM 4x4 system. I work at a place that if I don't show up, they will send the National Guard to pick me up. Zero excuses for not showing up when scheduled, regardless of the weather or any Statewide Emergencies!

fhedrickjr

Dec 15, 2016
Truck Year
I came from a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Just yesterday I drove my 2015 ED home. I was pulling a 23' Hybrid TT similar to the one in Bill-e's post above. The Jeep did it but not well. I abused that poor thing for 8yrs towing all over NJ down to FL and back. Fuel mileage was 17-18 without the camper and down to 8-9 with.

My drive home from the dealer yesterday got me 26mpg during the 140 mile trip. Love it already! Can't wait to hook up the camper.

Same thing for me. The 08 Commander with the 4.7 got as high as 24 highway when new but even with the tuner (103K mi) best it would do was 22. Towing a 14' trailer and 2 ATVs (34-3600 lbs) would do 15 on level ground and drop to 13.2 in the mountains of WV. Talk about punishment, it would sit at 4300 rpms going up a long 5% grade. Was waiting for the thing to go "bam"!! The Ram made the same trip finishing up at 16.4 in the mountains of WV and 20 on "level" interstate. Same trip unladen saw as high as 28.7!!
Towed our "new to us" 24' Sunlite Solaris camper (appx 5800 wet weight) from Turnersville to Newark, DE, a 60 mile trip. Never saw below 21.3 mpg! Stop and go to and from the campground netted me around 19.7.
Did I say I was in LOVE with my RAM??

fhedrickjr

Dec 15, 2016
Truck Year
Excellent results! I didn't know the 6.0 gas was that bad on fuel...
Yep. My Son traded his 07 2500 GMC with the 6.0L gasser (7 mpg towing 8800-9000 lb car trailer, 18mpg on its BEST day unladen) on his 08 3500 SRW long bed with the Duramax/Allison combo. This truck is the truck that made me fall in love with diesels! Pulled the trailer I spoke of (14' open trailer with 2 atvs appx 3400-3600 lbs) up a 5% grade (at 70MPH) on I 64 WB in WV, stayed in overdrive, just throttled itself up and grunted straight up the mountain!!! Only came out of O/D 1 or 2 times the whole trip. (Yes, i was on cruise control, he hates me for it!) What a dream trip! I/we were soooo used to our gassers hunting for the right gear and screaming up the hills! Hasn't towed his car trailer long distance yet. Waiting to see how that goes!!
Here is a shot of that beast with a third atv in the bed. He might out TOW me but he barely gets close to my around town mileage while he is on the Interstate!!
3500&trailer.jpeg

Last edited:

fhedrickjr

Dec 15, 2016
Truck Year
I previously had an F350 Super Duty Crew Cab 4wd 7.3 diesel I bought new in 2002. I sold it outright and then bought the Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4wd with the EcoDiesel in February 2015. Never had a problem yet, fuel economy is around 27 except when I have the trailer behind, then it drops to about 12, depending on the wind. I have a cover on the bed and the ride and quality of the truck is fantastic. Couldn't be happier.
How big is your trailer?

fhedrickjr

Dec 15, 2016
Truck Year
I've always had a hard time letting go of vehicles, even if the newer one is nicer and a better decision for me. It's tough for some reason!
I am just the opposite! My Wife suggested to lease the RAM since I change vehicles like some people change socks!! Just kidding. I DO get bored with a vehicle long before it is used up. Bought an 00 Chevy Blazer with 57k on it in 05, ran it up to 113K and sold it in 09 when I bought the 08 Commander, with 21k on the odometer. The 'Mander had 103K on it (I had been whining for at least a year or two) when I sold it to the Grandson and leased the RAM in February 2016. Seriously thinking about getting the extended drive train warranty and buying it out at the end of the 3/36 lease! Wife says she "will believe it when she sees it"!
A shot of the 'Mander and the GMC at a trail head, Hatfield/McCoy trails in WV. To be honest, I DO miss her just a little bit. She WAS very good to me!!
WV2015Ashland.jpg

Last edited:

fhedrickjr

Dec 15, 2016
Truck Year
Sold my 2001 Mercedes Benz CLk320 outright with 135k miles and bought the ram a month later. Absolutely love it.

Never reset the trip A and look at this mileage!!! Hand calculated works out about the same. Almost 500 hours.

View attachment 394
Haaahhahaahah!! I do the SAME THING except I use Trip B!! Great minds!!
I also see that average 32!! Is that MPG or KPG? Also wondering if the 3.55 gears have anything to do with that. I am wondering what rpm you turn at 75MPH. I am at about 1900 unladen. I CAN'T drive 55!! Hahah!

Last edited:

fhedrickjr

Dec 15, 2016
Truck Year
Cash and financing! Still have my 95 Chevy Z71 with 360K on original drive line, yah lately when attempting to pass at 70mph it downshifts and slows down. Also I don't wash the mud off cause then the rust will fall off. I did sell a 2006 Ford F150 4X4, Crew that I bought from my daughter and son-in-law, two years ago, only 57K on the 5.4 Triton. Good truck as far as that goes, smooth, quiet. Did not feel like 14mpg highway and 10 towing was worth the money. Was looking for a retirement truck, truthfully GM, known quantity, but still rated 23mph highway. Test drove the RAM three months ago just to see how the ED ran and check out the space and ride quality of the newer RAM bodies. So pleasantly pleased and some discounted price even for 20K mile truck that we did not test drive a GM at the dealer next door. Some minor issues all handled under Warranty, except 5w-40 oil TSB, going in tomorrow for the intermittent dome light function, still impressed. Worst fuel mileage was 22.5 average. Still a little shocked about maintenance cost but hopefully I will be able to leverage the fuel mileage savings. The Ford was my only non GM truck which I have a history of driving for many years and miles so for this RAM to impress me this much is saying a lot. HP, Torque, fuel mileage, Cab space, road noise or lack thereof are all amazing. Like some other posters once the drive train warranty is up there definitely will be a d and j diesel oil cooler, maybe a programmer will be in order. Not much for exhaust I am kinda liking no noise. Already installed bed cover.
I did a rough calculation of maintenance on the Commander, changing the oil every 3500 miles and 16 spark plugs on the high tech 4.7L gasser.at 100K miles. I came out a bit ahead on maintenance costs on the Commander but, the fuel costs/usage per 10K miles pushed it very close for me. I have no regrets. Plus, it made my Grandson one happy kid!!

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Yep. My Son traded his 07 2500 GMC with the 6.0L gasser (7 mpg towing 8800-9000 lb car trailer, 18mpg on its BEST day unladen) on his 08 3500 SRW long bed with the Duramax/Allison combo. This truck is the truck that made me fall in love with diesels! Pulled the trailer I spoke of (14' open trailer with 2 atvs appx 3400-3600 lbs) up a 5% grade (at 70MPH) on I 64 WB in WV, stayed in overdrive, just throttled itself up and grunted straight up the mountain!!! Only came out of O/D 1 or 2 times the whole trip. (Yes, i was on cruise control, he hates me for it!) What a dream trip! I/we were soooo used to our gassers hunting for the right gear and screaming up the hills! Hasn't towed his car trailer long distance yet. Waiting to see how that goes!!
Here is a shot of that beast with a third atv in the bed. He might out TOW me but he barely gets close to my around town mileage while he is on the Interstate!!
View attachment 1073

The Duramax/Allison trucks are a great trucks, and solid. I've had 3. :D

Tobes2102

Dec 21, 2016
Truck Year
Traded a 2007 Tacoma for my 2016 Laramie. LOVED the Taco, literally put tires, wipers and changed the oil in 10 years. But....needed something bigger since I drive long drives now. Love the eco diesel.

Jeo

Nov 16, 2015
Truck Year
Traded a 2007 Tacoma for my 2016 Laramie. LOVED the Taco, literally put tires, wipers and changed the oil in 10 years. But....needed something bigger since I drive long drives now. Love the eco diesel.
Traded same truck as you for my 2015 Eco have 31000 on it and still love it.