• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What's the best ecodiesel tune today for "EGR shutoff" but keeping equipment installed?

jpezz

May 26, 2021
Truck Year
FYI. It seems like I am getting about 3 miles per gallon mileage improvement since I installed my SFT software. I did stage 1 and deleted the EGR and did the Trans tune. I have driven about 400 miles since I installed it.

jcj1576

May 6, 2018
Truck Year
The non-compliant GDE tunes electronically disable the EGR. These were available before April 2020 or so. If you had a non-compliant GDE tune and then had the W58 completed and bought the $50 update from GDE and reflashed your ECU, you now have the compliant version that does not disable the EGR anymore.

When I had V08 and W58 completed, I removed my GDE trans tune and re-installed the factory ECU. When I got the truck home, I bolted my non-compliant GDE ECU back on and reinstalled the trans tune. No problems or errors since and truck runs like a million bucks again.

FYI for everyone on this thread, I just listed my truck on the classified pages.

jpezz

May 26, 2021
Truck Year
My tune has the EGR deleted via the software. I tested stage 2 for a while and didn't get any codes but I am not comfortable running it long term that way.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
My tune has the EGR deleted via the software. I tested stage 2 for a while and didn't get any codes but I am not comfortable running it long term that way.
Mine as well, IMO if you continue running a stage 2 tune on a stock exhaust it will be just a matter of time before te DPF will plug, hopefully someone with more info will chime in.

jpezz

May 26, 2021
Truck Year
Mine as well, IMO if you continue running a stage 2 tune on a stock exhaust it will be just a matter of time before te DPF will plug, hopefully someone with more info will chime in.
Good to know. I returned to stage 1. I may look into cleaning the DPF now that I know better.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
Normal REGENS may clean it out, I really don't know if there's an acceptaple/approved method for cleaning other than selling you a new one.

Rampjb

Jun 20, 2021
Truck Year
Not Listed
Hi, I'm new here. I've been reading quite a bit lately about delete and tuning, but I'm skeptical that Minnesota may soon require emissions testing for vehicle registration. Is the a quality tune out there which bypasses EGR without full delete? Or shuts off DEF and satisfies DPF sensors? I want something that can easily be converted to stock tune for inspection if necessary. From what I gather, GDE was once the best choice but now they don't fully 'shut off' EGR, still sending some soot through engine. HD Diesel seems to have a tune to do what I'm looking for, but does that then plug up the DPF? I'm interested to learn what is most preferred and proven to eliminate issues and promote longevity of the engine. As I stated, I'm new to the ecodiesel and would appreciate some recommendations for best oil and filter, how often to change, etc. Thank you in advance.
For my 2021 Ecodiesel, I will use the new mopar oil filter # 68507598AA canister, o-rings and filter all in one..I bought 6 last week.
Walmart and diesel filters.com carry. Approximately $37-$43 each. Alot less expensive than alot of places. I have 900 miles on my 2021 and I'm going to do my 1st oil change at 1500-2000 miles. Than after that I'll be changing every 5000. Injust sold a 2002 GMC with reg gas engine. 282000 miles that ran AWESOME! In a big believer in regular oil changes. In not waiting 8000-10000 miles to change my oil. I realize manual says differently. It's just the way I am. I'll be doing a full transmission fluid/filter service at EVERY 50,000 miles.
I decided that the Synthetic 5w-40 oil recommended in manual is what I'll use.

EARL99208

Jul 7, 2021
Truck Year
After you get a tune and the egr is inoperative such as with the SFT what happens to the left over DEF fluid in the tank? It'll go bad won't it?
Then if you need to go back into the dealer and you with things back to stock tune and start using the DEF again with bad fluid won't it put up codes or plug something up?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Does the tune shut-down DEF system? If not it will still consume DEF.

If you have 2014-16 you are able to run 90% Distilled water,10% Urea/DEF , those years only have a common senor for DEF, 2017 -21 have Quality sensor that's triggered at 23% or less, just Mixed 2.5 Gallons DEF to 1 Gallon Distilled water, to stop DEF pump/injector problems.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
After you get a tune and the egr is inoperative such as with the SFT what happens to the left over DEF fluid in the tank? It'll go bad won't it?
Then if you need to go back into the dealer and you with things back to stock tune and start using the DEF again with bad fluid won't it put up codes or plug something up?
The SFT stage 1 tune shuts off the EGR but does not shut of regenerations. DEF is not used by the EGR process. DEF is only used during a passive regen and will continue the same as if you were still stock tuned.

Follow TC's advice on diluting the DEF.

EARL99208

Jul 7, 2021
Truck Year
The SFT stage 1 tune shuts off the EGR but does not shut of regenerations. DEF is not used by the EGR process. DEF is only used during a passive regen and will continue the same as if you were still stock tuned.

Follow TC's advice on diluting the DEF.
Do the regen cycles slow down or are they just frequent as they are stock?

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
In my case they were a little further than stock but dpf usage went up

EARL99208

Jul 7, 2021
Truck Year
In my case they were a little further than stock but dpf usage went up
Interesting.....the cycle between regens broadens but the usage of DEF increases. Guess that means that the DEF filter plugs up faster due to the EGR being eliminated from the stock setup.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Interesting.....the cycle between regens broadens but the usage of DEF increases. Guess that means that the DEF filter plugs up faster due to the EGR being eliminated from the stock setup.
Follow post 21, But I here Ya, it actually should use much more to Meet COC. DEF at 67/33% (%) is NOT needed for 95% of actual driving, API is hand holding with EPA and the climate fanatics.

FO876

May 26, 2021
Truck Year
Hey, newbie here regarding these 'tunes'......I have a '16 EcoD......about to order the SFT all in one package....but unclear on checking on/off boxes on the order page.....I noticed the "EGR Removed" box is pre-checked.....Mine is still intact so I unchecked it but am I missing something??? Will I need to leave it checked in order to have the ability to disable to EGR if I choose to??? Seems like that's a popular option for this particular tuner and better for the engine longevity-wise????

Also, Im getting that Rally Time option but unclear if I'll have the ability to toggle on/off????

Thanks in advance guys!

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Leave the egr removed checked, all will be fine. Yes you can toggle by using tow haul

Attachments

• E23F439E-89A7-486E-8633-A9810C158F9C.png
    E23F439E-89A7-486E-8633-A9810C158F9C.png
    582.3 KB · Views: 28

FO876

May 26, 2021
Truck Year
So I finally got my SFT today, I watched so many videos on installing, each seemed slightly different, and now unsure if I downloaded the OEM files correctly. Does anyone know how big that USR file is supposed to be? Does it include both the ECU & TCU map in one file?

Because I was unsure if it DL'ed everything properly I tried doing it a second time but I get an error code,
"Writing not allowed. Notify your dealer the following data: Error Code: F002" on the handheld.....is that normal? Maybe cuz I haven't uploaded the modified maps yet?

Last edited: