• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What's the best ecodiesel tune today for "EGR shutoff" but keeping equipment installed?

zephyrinus

Jul 14, 2022
Truck Year
That's why I haven't said any names. Why I've been very vague.
I'm done my research, John. But it's impossible to find good, solid research when no one will talk about it.
Hence the reason for the LOL.
Always seems like a dead end.
No one ever has any answers.
So I'm just left flapping in the breeze.

You're right. I am new to "tuning."
But I can take apart just about anything and put it back together.
I guess I should have just asked more basic questions about tuning.
About "credits" about how I get the "tune" onto the tuner.
How I then get it installed into my truck/ECM.
But alas, here I am, getting chewed out by a grumpy old man.
If I can figure it out, I'll delete all my posts and my account.

Thanks Ramman1 for all your help.
Good day, sir.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
That's why I haven't said any names. Why I've been very vague.
I'm done my research, John. But it's impossible to find good, solid research when no one will talk about it.
Hence the reason for the LOL.
Always seems like a dead end.
No one ever has any answers.
So I'm just left flapping in the breeze.

You're right. I am new to "tuning."
But I can take apart just about anything and put it back together.
I guess I should have just asked more basic questions about tuning.
About "credits" about how I get the "tune" onto the tuner.
How I then get it installed into my truck/ECM.
But alas, here I am, getting chewed out by a grumpy old man.
If I can figure it out, I'll delete all my posts and my account.

Thanks Ramman1 for all your help.
Good day, sir.
No need to react that way, stick around as you are welcomed.
If I misunderstood your LOL, you have my apology. I may be old but not grumpy, just a bit sensitive about certain things.

Just recently I was chastised for naming tuners, etc. on a forum while trying to help another member and answer his questions. The way I now get around the issue is to PM a member directly. You are welcome to PM me anytime, but not about deleting as I am not a deleter.

The bottom line is don't leave over my "old man" reaction, maybe in error, to your post.
There's a lot of good info and advice from members on this forum.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Z. The fanatical EPA and the current Admin were served a BIG blow buy the SC, they no longer can just set near 0 Measures or make wild claims like External EGR are required.... Once this is challenged in COURT the EPA will lose, it to risky for them to pursue right now. The current Lie-O-Cratic fanatics are likely to lose their power in NOV. Everyone I know is for clean air, but requiring DSL to near 0 NOx is just not required for clean air, if the EPA allowed just single digit PPM your 3.0VM would only emit a few OZ of NOx at 700K miles at WOT, a 3 hr lighting storm creates more NOx then 27 million DSL's emitting below 10 PPM at WOT at 3 Hrs of operation.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Z. The fanatical EPA and the current Admin were served a BIG blow buy the SC, they no longer can just set near 0 Measures or make wild claims like External EGR are required.... Once this is challenged in COURT the EPA will lose, it to risky for them to pursue right now. The current Lie-O-Cratic fanatics are likely to lose their power in NOV.

Everyone I know is for clean air, but requiring DSL to near 0 NOx is just not required for clean air, if the EPA allowed just single digit PPM your 3.0VM would only emit a few OZ of NOx at 700K miles at WOT, a 3 hr lighting storm creates more NOx then 27 million DSL's emitting below 10 PPM at WOT at 3 Hrs of operation.

Fixed it for you!

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Does the GDE toon decommission the eqr and allow you to leave all the related parts on your engine ? Can you switch from one toon to another in a matter of minutes with GDE?
I used the previous GDE tune with the ECM exchange and now have the EPA Compliant GDE tune, with the hand held tuner. I noted John Jensen comment with amazement, I have changed from the GDE tune to the OEM tune multiple times with no issues. The reflash only takes a couple of minutes after you read the process.
The GDE tune Does Not Shut off the EGR, by manipulating the fuel map they significantly reduce the soot production thus reducing the gunk in the intake. I have been very pleased with my tune as it reduces the engine and oil temperatures while towing and the gained HP and Torque are immediately apparent.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
It's sad that the factory tunes are so bad, GDE has it together, improved power & torque, dead pedal gone and improved fuel economy.

Mac

Jun 13, 2020
Truck Year
Hey there, sorry for picking up this thread so many months later. I have the new GDE tune, and it has been great. Recently my EGR kicked the bucket and fortunately I was able to get it replaced under warranty. Easy as pie to switch between the two different tunes using the GDE OBD tool. And, might I add, the OEM tune is really, really terrible. It reminded me how awesome this truck drives with that GDE tune. The air breaks alone is worth its weight in gold. How much, you ask, does a program weigh? That is for the philosophers of our time to figure out.

Here is my question/concern: that warranty is going to be coming to an end here in the not too distant future. So, I am contemplating either 1. selling my truck, that I really do love, for a cummins. which I might be doing in the future if we switch from a pull-behind camper trailer to a slide in. Or, 2. try to disable the EGR with the new GDE tune. If possible, I would like to turn the EGR off with my current tune. I am not interested in another tune, as I am done putting money into this truck (except maintenance/repair costs) Any thoughts? Or is this not worth undertaking?

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
GDE will definitely not turn your EGR off. For that type of tune your best choice is an MRT tune via EOC.