• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Will this threaten the engine??

W.D.H.

Nov 9, 2016
Truck Year
Hi guy's me again, I've developed a new issue. Started engine and my engine warmer light remained on and blinks continuously service engine light came on. I already have an appointment for Thursday for recall but will this issue damage anything?

W.D.H.

Nov 9, 2016
Truck Year
Glow plug light?
"Engine preheat" "Glow Plug" owners manual says squat. It suddenly remained lit and blinks. Service engine light came on. Checked battery connections all tight. Battery strength appears fine according to gauge, I'll hook up my volt meter later in the morning for confirmation. 12/8 I have an appointment for service, so back to my original question, could this damage something else prior to appointment.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
"Engine preheat" "Glow Plug" owners manual says squat. It suddenly remained lit and blinks. Service engine light came on. Checked battery connections all tight. Battery strength appears fine according to gauge, I'll hook up my volt meter later in the morning for confirmation. 12/8 I have an appointment for service, so back to my original question, could this damage something else prior to appointment.

My only suggestion is to see what the trouble code is and post it. Did you ask the dealer if you can keep driving it?

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
My experience has been that if the Service Engine light is flashing then it is a "soft code" and vehicle can be driven without issue, however if the Service Engine light goes solid then the best recommendation is to have vehicle towed to dealer, as it may go into "limp home mode"

John

Nov 13, 2015
My experience has been that if the Service Engine light is flashing then it is a "soft code" and vehicle can be driven without issue, however if the Service Engine light goes solid then the best recommendation is to have vehicle towed to dealer, as it may go into "limp home mode"

I believe you have that backwards.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
I believe you have that backwards.
Dag nad it! John you are correct, I do have that backwards. My apologies. I had just finished reading the complete Class Action court filing and was a little aggravated. Thanks for the catch.

W.D.H.

Nov 9, 2016
Truck Year
Update, First service was completed and the problem has been diagnosed as a bad glow plug #4 to be exact. It's on order The dealership said I would be fine until the new part arrives being I keep the truck in a semi warm garage. I wish the same could be said for outside!

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Update, First service was completed and the problem has been diagnosed as a bad glow plug #4 to be exact. It's on order The dealership said I would be fine until the new part arrives being I keep the truck in a semi warm garage. I wish the same could be said for outside!

Good deal, and glad they were able to figure it out!

W.D.H.

Nov 9, 2016
Truck Year
Good deal, and glad they were able to figure it out!
I still think were in our infancy with all this electronic gizmo stuff, I'm a stick and rudder guy myself it takes some getting use to....

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
You wouldn't believe it but if I recall it is like a 12 hour job to do a glow plug as you have to drop the entire engine/lift the Body off of the frame

fhedrickjr

Dec 15, 2016
Truck Year
You wouldn't believe it but if I recall it is like a 12 hour job to do a glow plug as you have to drop the entire engine/lift the Body off of the frame
WOW!

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year

maybe that's injectors? Looks like the glow plugs aren't terrible as long as they come out without much of a fight. Hopefully don't have to change too many glow plugs, damn things are at least $70 a piece

W.D.H.

Nov 9, 2016
Truck Year
maybe that's injectors? Looks like the glow plugs aren't terrible as long as they come out without much of a fight. Hopefully don't have to change too many glow plugs, damn things are at least $70 a piece
Warranty work, but it's good to see now how long it will last.. I'm keeping the truck plugged in on a timer, first timer was made in China and didn't work worth a lick I returned it and got another. I decided to keep a ledger for the truck and document everything! It's going to be a balmy 32 degrees today, I'm going to attempt the Ionic step bars I picked up, provided the arthritis and body co-operate.

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
Glow plugs are very easy the first one calls for 1.1 hrs then an additional .2 hrs for each from there no need to pull the cab. Now the turbo is a whole different animal it's a big job.

Grumpy GAP

Jan 7, 2018
Truck Year
Recently had #4 glow plug quit. 145000 km on truck. Mechanic tried to remove it and ended up breaking the glow plug off as it is seized in the head. Now they say they have to lift the body, remove the head & try to remove it. If they cant get it out, it will be a head replacement they say. So much for saving money with the eco diesel. DEF delete was done at 86000 Kms as the pump quit and it was going to take 4-5 weeks to get a new one. 2 strikes and one more and its gone.