• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Failed ecodiesel

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I have 3 new additional victims also to add this week..All over 100,000 miles. 2 of them are waiting on the DOJ decision(s) for buybacks, if that don't happen both will be taking additional legal action, the other it looks like FCA is going to cover it under extended warranty. I have another 2 in CA waiting on a reply form FCA... the Cloud just keeps getting Darker and darker on the VM 3.0

Helidriver

Jan 13, 2017
Truck Year
I have 3 new additional victims also to add this week..All over 100,000 miles. 2 of them are waiting on the DOJ decision(s) for buybacks, if that don't happen both will be taking additional legal action, the other it looks like FCA is going to cover it under extended warranty. I have another 2 in CA waiting on a reply form FCA... the Cloud just keeps getting Darker and darker on the VM 3.0
Not good at all.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Yep.... with no end in sight, I'm going / waiting for DOJ Buy Back, or Nuclear option.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
We shouldn't be hoping for a massive buy back to fix these issues.. These motors are failing far more than they should be that's for sure.

But, let's keep the thread on topic of the failure, and not the dream of a buy back. FCA and the world noticed what happen with VW... they will do everything in their power to not let that happen.

@John Orsie, if you can give us feedback on what/how it happen we can add yours to a list!

Which reminds me, we should compile a list of when, what happen, how many miles etc... but I haven't noticed any common occurrences myself.

keithlange

Apr 9, 2017
Truck Year
I am new to this list and have had several problems with my 2015 Ram Ecodiesel. On three occasions have had ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) issues resulting in complete replacement of injectors at a cost of $4k warranty work, with the service manager telling me this was just a "guess" as Chrysler did not know why this was occurring. On 2 other occasions had "idiot light" illuminate resulting in DEF issues and replacement of catalytic converter. Two other issues which were not related, but overall have had the truck in the shop a total of 3 months in two years. FCA won't buy it back and has offered nuisance money. I intend to sue, but it sounds like there may be a lot of "us" around that together we could make some noise.

Other than these problems AND the 5-7 mpg's that I lost, I love the vehicle. Does anyone know if FCA or Chrysler monitors this list serve? Thanks.

t John

Nov 14, 2016
Truck Year
I am new to this list and have had several problems with my 2015 Ram Ecodiesel. On three occasions have had ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) issues resulting in complete replacement of injectors at a cost of $4k warranty work, with the service manager telling me this was just a "guess" as Chrysler did not know why this was occurring. On 2 other occasions had "idiot light" illuminate resulting in DEF issues and replacement of catalytic converter. Two other issues which were not related, but overall have had the truck in the shop a total of 3 months in two years. FCA won't buy it back and has offered nuisance money. I intend to sue, but it sounds like there may be a lot of "us" around that together we could make some noise.

Other than these problems AND the 5-7 mpg's that I lost, I love the vehicle. Does anyone know if FCA or Chrysler monitors this list serve? Thanks.

My ETC has come on now seven times in the last 11 months. Second time Chrysler got involved and replaced the turbo at a cost of 5k under warranty. Now they really aren't sure what is going on. When it happens, it is happenning after I've driven for a while (30+minutes) stop, and get back in. I'll drive for a couple of miles and boom! ETC and check engine light come on. Truck has been down this time since April 25 and at the dealer now going on three days. Just got a voice mail from the service tech today telling me that Chrysler is scratching their heads over this one. He also said that there seems to be an epidemic of this across the country. Dealers are throwing a bunch of parts at it and it keeps occurring, others are reprogramming the computer with some luck. Not really happy right now! I paid more for this truck than my first house!

Last edited:

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Dealers are throwing a bunch of parts at it and it keeps occurring, others are reprogramming the computer with some luck. Not really happy right now! I paid more for this truck than my first house!

I believe it, no one seems to have an answer for this ETC problem.

BIGTEX

Jul 11, 2017
Truck Year
You can add my 2014 Ram Longhorn to the list of blown engines...after joining this website just a few days ago and reading about the repetitive nature of many of these issues I got very concerned because of the knocking sound I was hearing coming from my engine compartment although to me it did not seem to be too bad, just noticeable , too many flags had already been raised by you guys for me to be anything but very nervous at this point. Then I took one of my customers to lunch this week and he noticed it as he was getting in the truck...also, many of you guys had shared the seriousness and urgency for me to unload the truck somewhere as fast as I could because I was sitting on a tapping time bomb . Well, I live out in the county so this morning I drove the 45 minutes in to the city, made a sales call then hit the nearest Dodge dealership to try to trade it. During the appraisal process they came out and told me that my engine was knocking, and would need to be replaced and would cost about 14K to put in a new one, I said I dont think so, and they offered me a very small sum 7K for my truck as it was. I was not expecting that either, stunned & shocked by all that had just happened I drive off about 15 minutes down the road as I was headed to another dealership I heard a loud noise in the engine, then everything shut down and I just coasted to a stop...the only light that I remember seeing flash several times was low oil pressure. Then it went dead... would not turn back over, just dead... the guy that came to tow me looked up under the motor and saw lots of oil . Three hours later, my truck is now sitting in my front yard and I am waiting on a call from the dealership tomorrow where I bought it to respond back to me...You guys had called it correctly like a grenade just waiting to explode.

BIGTEX 2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Longhorn Eco-Diesel 144K miles

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I'm read these failure But theirs rarely a week or two and hear it verbally....No engine in My 30 years of modding Professionally or sport has any engine (Diesel) failed so regularly and predictable. Sorry to hear it ,BIGTEX hang in their....

BIGTEX

Jul 11, 2017
Truck Year
OK, I am going to ask a dumb question, but here goes...My beloved Ram 1500 Eco Diesel with 144K miles on it broke down on me yesterday...I had been hearing a knocking sound for over a week from the engine compartment , but no other symptom other than I had also noticed a few mpg dip , everything else seemed fine. I had recently had my truck leveled and had just put some slightly larger (295/60/20) tires on it, so my thoughts were that the dip in mpg was due to these additions.
Yesterday coming home I heard a loud noise from the engine compartment , lost all power, got a light that came on saying low oil pressure, truck died and I rolled to a controlled stop...thinking the worst I was thinking the engine is toast... I have not looked under the truck today, but the tow truck driver did yesterday and he said oil was everywhere on the bottom of the truck. Is there anything I can look for or do that can tell me the engine is blown without tearing it down, which I can not do? I am just thinking could it be something as simple as a oil cooler blew out, or a hose busted or is that probably just wishful thinking on my part?
I know I will need to get under there and look for myself just have not had a chance to do that today, just been assuming the worst all day. But now that I am back home from work and I see it sitting out there in the yard looking so good , I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around the thought of letting it go. Your comments are welcomed.
A Dodge,dealership has told me a new engine would run about 14K installed . I called a place today that sells reconditioned engines that cost 6K ,but they are low mileage ,used ones and I would still have to find someone to put it in and just don't know if that is a good option either.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
OK, I am going to ask a dumb question, but here goes...My beloved Ram 1500 Eco Diesel with 144K miles on it broke down on me yesterday...I had been hearing a knocking sound for over a week from the engine compartment , but no other symptom other than I had also noticed a few mpg dip , everything else seemed fine. I had recently had my truck leveled and had just put some slightly larger (295/60/20) tires on it, so my thoughts were that the dip in mpg was due to these additions.
Yesterday coming home I heard a loud noise from the engine compartment , lost all power, got a light that came on saying low oil pressure, truck died and I rolled to a controlled stop...thinking the worst I was thinking the engine is toast... I have not looked under the truck today, but the tow truck driver did yesterday and he said oil was everywhere on the bottom of the truck. Is there anything I can look for or do that can tell me the engine is blown without tearing it down, which I can not do? I am just thinking could it be something as simple as a oil cooler blew out, or a hose busted or is that probably just wishful thinking on my part?
I know I will need to get under there and look for myself just have not had a chance to do that today, just been assuming the worst all day. But now that I am back home from work and I see it sitting out there in the yard looking so good , I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around the thought of letting it go. Your comments are welcomed.
A Dodge,dealership has told me a new engine would run about 14K installed . I called a place today that sells reconditioned engines that cost 6K ,but they are low mileage ,used ones and I would still have to find someone to put it in and just don't know if that is a good option either.

You need to visually inspect it. The worst case you have a hole in the block, and I don't think that's happen yet to my knowledge. Most of the time its an internal failure and you have to tear it down to see.

BIGTEX

Jul 11, 2017
Truck Year
You need to visually inspect it. The worst case you have a hole in the block, and I don't think that's happen yet to my knowledge. Most of the time its an internal failure and you have to tear it down to see.[/

BIGTEX

Jul 11, 2017
Truck Year
You need to visually inspect it. The worst case you have a hole in the block, and I don't think that's happen yet to my knowledge. Most of the time its an internal failure and you have to tear it down to see.
Thanks... I will try to look under there first thing in the morning ...

BIGTEX

Jul 11, 2017
Truck Year
Is there much of a chance of Dodge buying them back at some point down the road?

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Is there much of a chance of Dodge buying them back at some point down the road?
My gut says not a chance. Maybe FCA offers a check with the 'approved' ECM flash for compensation, but I don't see an all out buyback campaign like VW. That is just my opinion...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
My gut says not a chance. Maybe FCA offers a check with the 'approved' ECM flash for compensation, but I don't see an all out buyback campaign like VW. That is just my opinion...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I agree 100%.

BIGTEX

Jul 11, 2017
Truck Year
Thanks Brady & BoostN... I am in a world of hurt ...Up until last Wed, I would have told anyone the eco-diesel is one of the the best trucks on the market, and I am of the opinion and still do believe you can get the most bang for your bucks in a loaded out Ram (feature wise) as anything, but for all the eco-diesel owners out there that may not be having issues and was like me thinking they got one of the good ones (eco-diesel)... I hope that is true for you... I thought I had one of the good ones too, until earlier in the week, so pay careful attention to what people on forums like this are telling you.
In hindsight I was about a week late in finding this website, and then a couple of days slow in responding to the advise you guys were putting out about dumping my truck as soon as I could. But, I had 143K miles of nothing but great times in my truck and for that I am very thankful...I went back and checked and for all you eco owners out there I actually started noticing the knocking/tapping sound on 6/26,that is when I put some additive in to run thru thinking I was dealing with a clogged fuel injector and I just kept driving ( right at about 1,800 miles total ) hoping the knocking sound would go away...my engine blows on 7-13...all during this critical time I was thinking this would all pass and was not thinking the issue was as serious as it turned out to be and even went out and put all new tires all round on Monday, found this website Tuesday night, drove it Wed morning to work , made some sales calls that morning, take it to a dealership that afternoon to see about my trade value, get the bad news from dealership that motor is bad then foolishly drive off and 15 minutes later engine blows... My son keeps telling me that I have been drinking the Ram Cool-Aide for long enough now, and that it time to consider other options...we'll see...