• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P026C-00

Mr Reed

Aug 27, 2016
Truck Year
2016 Ram, 3.0 Eco, 10k miles, Completely stock.

Hi guys. Well, here we go. I took her in for an oil change last Tues, 3/4/17. On Friday, 3/7/17, as I was leaving work for a Dr appointment, I hear (DING). I look down and there is a CEL staring me in the face. The truck seems to be running fine at this point, so I go on to my appointment. I tell myself as I'm shutting it off, "Well, it seems to be running fine. Maybe just a hickup". When I come out from my appointment, I insert my key, give it a twist, and it takes a long 20 seconds to crank up. CEL light is on again and it sounds like it's running on 5 cylinders, and making an awful bad knock noise. I shut it off and call the dealer. They want me to bring it in. The service manager takes note of all my conditions. Says, since the CEL is NOT flashing, I can drive it. So, off I go on the 20+ mile trip. CEL stays on steady the entire time. I get to the dealer, put it in park and leave it running. And it is running ever so badly. The service manager meets me at the bay entrance with code reader in hand. P026C-00 Fuel Injection Quantity Lower Than Expected. The first thing that goes thru my mind is the Diesel I bought the day of the oil change. The truck sits all weekend at the dealer and yesterday, the service draws a fuel sample. It's clean. Now today, they are trouble shooting trying to figure out why the truck is not firing all the injectors. I'm praying for the best but expecting the worse.
I am afraid of the engine issues that I am seeing. At 10Kmiles, this should not be happening. The heaviest thing I have pulled was a 16' Tracker boat. I really do like the truck, and was hopeful for a long life.
Any idea's?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed

Hi guys. Well, here we go. I took her in for an oil change last Tues, 3/4/17. On Friday, 3/7/17, as I was leaving work for a Dr appointment, I hear (DING). I look down and there is a CEL staring me in the face. The truck seems to be running fine at this point, so I go on to my appointment. I tell myself as I'm shutting it off, "Well, it seems to be running fine. Maybe just a hickup". When I come out from my appointment, I insert my key, give it a twist, and it takes a long 20 seconds to crank up. CEL light is on again and it sounds like it's running on 5 cylinders, and making an awful bad knock noise. I shut it off and call the dealer. They want me to bring it in. The service manager takes note of all my conditions. Says, since the CEL is NOT flashing, I can drive it. So, off I go on the 20+ mile trip. CEL stays on steady the entire time. I get to the dealer, put it in park and leave it running. And it is running ever so badly. The service manager meets me at the bay entrance with code reader in hand. P026C-00 Fuel Injection Quantity Lower Than Expected. The first thing that goes thru my mind is the Diesel I bought the day of the oil change. The truck sits all weekend at the dealer and yesterday, the service draws a fuel sample. It's clean. Now today, they are trouble shooting trying to figure out why the truck is not firing all the injectors. I'm praying for the best but expecting the worse.
I am afraid of the engine issues that I am seeing. At 10Kmiles, this should not be happening. The heaviest thing I have pulled was a 16' Tracker boat. I really do like the truck, and was hopeful for a long life.
Any idea's?

It sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Likely bad injectors/pump/etc..

Keep us updated on what the dealer says.

Mr Reed

Aug 27, 2016
Truck Year
Does the eco have the lift pump and hp boost pump set up like the cummins?

Mr Reed

Aug 27, 2016
Truck Year
I just got a call from the service department. They replaced all the injectors and it is still doing it. There seems to be two injectors that is sucking more fuel than the others. They are working with STAR to find a solution.

Mr Reed

Aug 27, 2016
Truck Year
Update: service changed 3 more injectors. Started and shut off 4 times. Ran great. On the fifth start, it went back to spitting and sputtering. Service is still working with STAR.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Update: service changed 3 more injectors. Started and shut off 4 times. Ran great. On the fifth start, it went back to spitting and sputtering. Service is still working with STAR.

Did they at least give you a nice loaner vehicle?

Mr Reed

Aug 27, 2016
Truck Year
Did they at least give you a nice loaner vehicle?
A Grand Caravan. They didn't have anything with a hitch, so that means I can't take the boat out. I'm missing out on the best time of the year to catch Cats.

Mr Reed

Aug 27, 2016
Truck Year
Update: Service called. STAR has determined the fuel pump is disinigrating and will need to be replaced along with the fuel filter, and injectors again. All fuel lines will need to be flushed as well. Parts are BKO. Service indicated there are two pumps. Is this right? In tank and on engine?

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Update: Service called. STAR has determined the fuel pump is disinigrating and will need to be replaced along with the fuel filter, and injectors again. All fuel lines will need to be flushed as well. Parts are BKO. Service indicated there are two pumps. Is this right? In tank and on engine?
That is correct a lift pump in tank and the high pressure pump on the engine run off a camshaft gear. My 2014 shot the CEL within minutes of a fuel fill up out of town with no running issues. When I got home to my shop I read the same code, looked up running issues and fixes, since I had no running issues recommended reset and wait. Reset, have not seen code since. I guess I was lucky.

Mr Reed

Aug 27, 2016
Truck Year
The truck has been in the shop for a full two weeks today. Hoping for some good news.

Mr Reed

Aug 27, 2016
Truck Year
The truck has been in the shop for a full two weeks today. Hoping for some good news.
Just got a call. Monday. Additional parts, fuel line, and rails to be replaced. A big job indeed.

solarvic

Jun 28, 2015
Truck Year
My 2015 had fuel injector problems around 13,000 miles at a year and 4 months from new. They replaced all the injectors and the fuel filter. They recommend me to replace the fuel filter at every oil change. I also started using injector cleaner at every fill up and havn,t had any problem since. They also give me a crew cab loaner with a v/6. Surprised how well the v/6 runs. If I start having any more diesel problems I will consider a v/6 and get away from the diesel problems or maybe even go back to a Subaru which I think is a good vehicle.

Mr Reed

Aug 27, 2016
Truck Year
Update and conclusion: I got my truck back today. HP fuel pump, all injectors, fuel rails, fuel lines, filer and housing. She seems to be running good. Drove her around for a while different conditions and all is well.
On another note, I would like to say that my dealer second department is top notch. I do believe they have gained my trust. I guess there is a reason I chose Superior in Conway.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Update and conclusion: I got my truck back today. HP fuel pump, all injectors, fuel rails, fuel lines, filer and housing. She seems to be running good. Drove her around for a while different conditions and all is well.
On another note, I would like to say that my dealer second department is top notch. I do believe they have gained my trust. I guess there is a reason I chose Superior in Conway.

Glad to hear you found a good dealer and you're back up and running!

fhedrickjr

Dec 15, 2016
Truck Year
Did it have any symptoms prior to running badly? Once in a while after start up, I am sitting at a red light and if I ease my foot off the brake, the truck starts lurching like there is a misfire. Runs great when warm. Makes me nervous....

Mr Reed

Aug 27, 2016
Truck Year
Did it have any symptoms prior to running badly? Once in a while after start up, I am sitting at a red light and if I ease my foot off the brake, the truck starts lurching like there is a misfire. Runs great when warm. Makes me nervous....
I had no warning. It was sudden.

fhedrickjr

Dec 15, 2016
Truck Year

growleycrowley

Aug 8, 2019
Truck Year
I just had this same code on my 2015, it also wanted them to run another software, turns out to be boost solenoid, it was full of soot, they replaced, back on the road running great

Bison Slayer

May 10, 2019
Truck Year

Any idea's?
I got the same code as well and turns out the injector pump was eating it self. It ended up sending shavings all through the fuel system. Everything from the lift pump to injectors had to be replaced. Have it inspected ASAP! My truck has been in the shop for over a month now and they are still chasing ghost on the system.