• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Anyone had their ecodiesel catch on fire

Theaussietexan

Apr 20, 2017
Truck Year
Would like to know if anyone has had their ecodiesel catch on fire. We had a 2015 ecodiesel
until last Friday when the engine bay caught on fire. Last September we had the fuel system replaced.

On Friday I was pulling our tt when I noticed smoke between the truck and the tt. I thought it was from an 18 wheeler as it was blowing black exhaust. I came up to the exit on I20 when the check engine light came on. I pulled into a vacant parking lot when the battery low volts light came on then followed by the other indicators came on. I turned the engine off and pulled the hood latch, went to pull hood up and there was more smoke so I walked away without opening hood. I saw a flame between drivers front tyre and fender.

The truck has been written off. Chrysler is sending out an inspector to look at the truck. The inspector said the truck should not have caught on fire. Anyone had this issue?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
The inspector said the truck should not have caught on fire.

Welcome to the forum, I find this statement funny (Sorry). He's right, it should not have caught fire, but it sounds like it did.

Keep us updated on what they say.. fires happen all the time on any brand. It's just not uncommon.

AJ73942

Aug 2, 2016
Truck Year
there was a post on Ramforumz.com or Youtube? about a guy with a EcoD that caught fire while sitting in the driveway of his in-laws over thanksgiving holiday or something. It caught fire in the middle of the night after sitting untouched for 2 days and burned to the ground. Hard to feature how something could generate enough heat to start a diesel fire. I'm sure we're all interested in finding out what's to blame. Best of luck with it.

AJ73942

Aug 2, 2016
Truck Year
I just ran onto this a minute ago when looking up something on my 2015 EcoD. May be relevant!

ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE:DIESELRecall Date: 08/13/2015
  • Summary: Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain model year 2014-2015 Ram 1500 diesel 4x2 trucks manufactured August 8, 2013, to July 2, 2015. The affected vehicles have a battery harness that may rub against the frame bracket for the right engine mount resulting in an electrical short.
  • Potential Number of Units Affected: 1655
  • Consequence: If the harness shorts, the vehicle may stall and there is an increased risk of a fire.
  • Remedy: Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the vehicles to confirm that the battery harness is correctly routed and secured. Any harness that shows evidence of wear will be replaced. These repairs will be performed free of charge. The recall began on October 8, 2015. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is R43.
  • Dates of Manufacture: AUG 07, 2013 to JUL 01, 2015
  • Manufacturer Recall Number: R43
  • NHTSA Campaign ID: 15V517000
This would make sense given what you're saying about your gauges and lights coming on as you pulled over. I would guess that had you not pulled over, the truck would have stalled very soon and behaved similarly to what this recall describes.

I'm definitely going to get mine checked. I had it in for an oil change a week ago and they did some updates, but didn't say anything about this. Let us know how it works out!

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I just ran onto this a minute ago when looking up something on my 2015 EcoD. May be relevant!

• Summary: Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain model year 2014-2015 Ram 1500 diesel 4x2 trucks manufactured August 8, 2013, to July 2, 2015. The affected vehicles have a battery harness that may rub against the frame bracket for the right engine mount resulting in an electrical short.
  • Consequence: If the harness shorts, the vehicle may stall and there is an increased risk of a fire.
  • Remedy: Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the vehicles to confirm that the battery harness is correctly routed and secured. Any harness that shows evidence of wear will be replaced. These repairs will be performed free of charge. The recall began on October 8, 2015. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is R43.
This would make sense given what you're saying about your gauges and lights coming on as you pulled over. I would guess that had you not pulled over, the truck would have stalled very soon and behaved similarly to what this recall describes.

I'm definitely going to get mine checked. I had it in for an oil change a week ago and they did some updates, but didn't say anything about this. Let us know how it works out!

Good find AJ. Something we all should check. My biggest worry with auto fires is having it parked in the garage and it burns that to!

polecat

Feb 11, 2016
Truck Year
Would like to know if anyone has had their ecodiesel catch on fire. We had a 2015 ecodiesel
until last Friday when the engine bay caught on fire. Last September we had the fuel system replaced.

On Friday I was pulling our tt when I noticed smoke between the truck and the tt. I thought it was from an 18 wheeler as it was blowing black exhaust. I came up to the exit on I20 when the check engine light came on. I pulled into a vacant parking lot when the battery low volts light came on then followed by the other indicators came on. I turned the engine off and pulled the hood latch, went to pull hood up and there was more smoke so I walked away without opening hood. I saw a flame between drivers front tyre and fender.

The truck has been written off. Chrysler is sending out an inspector to look at the truck. The inspector said the truck should not have caught on fire. Anyone had this issue?
My 2015

polecat

Feb 11, 2016
Truck Year
MY 2015 ECO Laramie caught fire @ around 5000 miles while tech was road testing after fuel system replacement . Injector blew . Took FCA 45 days to send investigator . Was told I had insurance If in a hurry . Took 4 1/2 months to repair . Truck now has 3 stored issues and I hoping to make it home so I can see a " Chevy " dealer . MOST OF NIGHTMARE IS ON THIS SITE and I have documation for the Ram heads with doubts .
Love the truck when it runs but FCA has huge customer relations problems like , " put them off and they will go away ".

John

Nov 13, 2015

4x2 trucks. Interesting.

AJ73942

Aug 2, 2016
Truck Year
I stopped at my servicing dealer yesterday afternoon and asked about the R43 recall concerning possible fire issues on 4x2 trucks. They weren't busy and got right onto looking it up. They told me that it applies to 4x2 trucks with a G in the VIN, indicating that they were made in Saltillo, Mexico. Mine didn't have the G in the VIN, so I am relieved. Hope this helps the rest of you.

Hevster1

Oct 3, 2016
Truck Year
Welcome to the forum, I find this statement funny (Sorry). He's right, it should not have caught fire, but it sounds like it did.

Keep us updated on what they say.. fires happen all the time on any brand. It's just not uncommon.
With all due respect, nowadays an engine fire is extremely rare. In 35 years working on vehicles, I have only seen 4 and I haven't seen 1 in over 10 years. Sometimes, if involved in an accident, it can happen. A fire like this though; you rarely see them. It had to have some kind of issue.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
With all due respect, nowadays an engine fire is extremely rare. In 35 years working on vehicles, I have only seen 4 and I haven't seen 1 in over 10 years. Sometimes, if involved in an accident, it can happen. A fire like this though; you rarely see them. It had to have some kind of issue.

I'm not saying it happens ALL the time, but just last week I come across a newer Hyundai full engulfed on my way home. I know that's just one example, but again it can happen to anything.

AJ73942

Aug 2, 2016
Truck Year
Here are the Youtube videos - during and after.
during
after

I feel for the guy and the despair in his voice is notable. The point of this is that this is a 2016 Laramie (according to the wheels) and it's 4x4 so the earlier post about a recall for a wiring harness routing for trucks made between 2013-2015 in the Saltillo plant is irrellivant as this doesn't fit any of those parameters. I've asked him on the second video if a cause was determined, and I would suspect that if this happened over Thanksgiving, surely the insurance or Ram has issued a finding by now. I agree with BoostN that loosing the truck to a fire would be bad, but it would be much worse if it started while parked inside the garage. I hope we get some more information on this. Thanks all.

Hevster1

Oct 3, 2016
Truck Year
I'm not saying it happens ALL the time, but just last week I come across a newer Hyundai full engulfed on my way home. I know that's just one example, but again it can happen to anything.
I understand now. It certainly can happen to anything.

Richard marshall

Apr 9, 2017
Truck Year

My truck a 2014 it hasn't caught on fire but with less than 30000 miles the engine blew in the now waiting on a new one
I did a lot research and found out that 11 ecodiesel engine have blew below 30000 mile on them an then around 70000 miles the timing gear slipping .So mane we need a class action law sue against Chrysler .

badgerstramowner

May 30, 2017
Truck Year
On September 18, 2016, my 2015 ecodiesel caught fire. I was traveling in the highway at about 70 mph and lost power. Pulled over and smoke starting coming from engine compartment. I figured it had overheated. Got out of truck and was calling for assistance when I saw flames coming from passenger wheel well. By the time fire crews got there, it was completely engulfed.

IMG_2752.JPG

AJ73942

Aug 2, 2016
Truck Year
Here are the Youtube videos - during and after.
during
after

I feel for the guy and the despair in his voice is notable. The point of this is that this is a 2016 Laramie (according to the wheels) and it's 4x4 so the earlier post about a recall for a wiring harness routing for trucks made between 2013-2015 in the Saltillo plant is irrellivant as this doesn't fit any of those parameters. I've asked him on the second video if a cause was determined, and I would suspect that if this happened over Thanksgiving, surely the insurance or Ram has issued a finding by now. I agree with BoostN that loosing the truck to a fire would be bad, but it would be much worse if it started while parked inside the garage. I hope we get some more information on this. Thanks all.

I asked this guy if they ever figured out what happened, and here's his reply.

"Unfortunately not. The invitation was inconclusive, however they were able determine that it was not arson. At the end of the day it took almost 3 months to determine that and Chrysler treated me like piece of shit throughout the entire process. I'll never own another Chrysler product and I'll recommend that no one else does either!"

I don't understand why FCA doesn't treat their customers better.