• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Failed ecodiesel

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
I'm just going

Under a Freedom of Information Act, over 1000 emails were released from FCA.

This one in particular tells some of the story:
Great post John. Shows FCA in near panic mode with a 90% engine failure rate increase in 2016 alone to an FCA report 215 failure average per month.

Anyone know what a CNS is as it was referenced in the document?

SOP

Dec 11, 2017
Truck Year
Has anyone looked into purchasing an extended warranty (not the ones that were offered when you purchased)? Endurance seems to have good reviews, but I wonder what they would charge for my truck with it still having 15 months and 30k left on the factory powertrain warranty... Or, if they'd even been willing to offer it just based on the miles. Probably not worth it, but thought I'd see if anyone has gone down that road?

Last edited:

TOMS

May 23, 2018
Truck Year
Yall read my post under "electronic throttle control message" another blown ED 3 months ago

fhedrickjr

Dec 15, 2016
Truck Year
26k and change on the Odo. Still listening for any funny knocks/noises. 10 months left on the lease. Fingers crossed. Upgraded the 24' camper to a 42' Fifth wheel. Will be upgrading to a 3500, possibly even a DRW!

t John

Nov 14, 2016
Truck Year
I had my engine replaced last September under warranty with 77000 miles on it. To date, I have 30,000 on the new engine and have not had any issues...

YoAdrian

Jun 1, 2018
Truck Year
Good to hear t John, I hope my newly replaced ecodiesel engine treats me well also (yes, another blown engine):
2015 w/ 48,000 miles purchased last month as a certified preowned vehicle from Chrysler dealership.
Engine bearing failed, destroyed engine, waiting for new one to be installed next week under warranty.

It seems obvious now that FCA has been aware of excessively high failure rates of these engines/bearings, and furthermore has known what the cause was (see John's post a couple pages back with the FCA FOIA emails). Sure wish FCA would just employ a fix to the root cause of these known failures so their new customers (me) might become loyal, and loyal customers might stay that way. Heck, I'd consider going 50/50 on a "bulletproofing" mod if it meant I didn't have to feel like I was driving a ticking time bomb/lemon engine.

Replacing failed engines with ones that still contain the same design problem of insufficient lubrication to the bearings is not enough. I shared this on another post, but if I could do it all over again I would NOT buy this engine, but rather would wait until a new updated version came out with the lubrication/bearing failure and timing/cam design faults remedied. Even more likely I would simply change brands, as my wife has repeatedly been telling me to do since the moment this engine failed on us and left the family stranded on the side of the road with our camper, ruining our family camping trip... not cool, and not a great husband/dad moment.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
That was alleged FCA internal cover up, I Clearly and publicly declared that VM Motori in Cento is the Problem over 3 years ago, it simply Quality control. This engine was under when 2+ years of testing on the Joint venture if Lube related it would have been discovered in the R/D process. Even the Billet Block Bed plate Engine's have rotating mass failures at alarming rate's, the design for Strength, one out of spec setting or calibration and BOOM, it will work and hold power, but its subject to the integrity of the block, I've sign this design chew up Bearings in Feet.

Attachments

• ED 3.0 engine bedplate.jpg
    ED 3.0 engine bedplate.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 48

YoAdrian

Jun 1, 2018
Truck Year
...Quality control... this design chews up Bearings in Feet.

Agreed TC Diesel, and thank you very much for your reply. I’ve read your recommendations for oil analysis and plan to start doing the same (wish FCA would pay for that!). Somewhere between the designed tolerances, manufacturing methods, and quality control VMMotori is missing something big - I just wish they and FCA would step up and fix the root problem so we customers can get back to ENJOYING its great design features instead of WORRYING when the next ruined family trip is going to occur.

Since I am about to be the owner of a newly installed replacement engine I am wondering:
- Does anyone have indications that quality control has improved or at least been talked about by FCA/VMMotori?
- When I get my new engine from the dealership, how do I know what date it was manufactured?
- Are ecodiesel engines manufactured after a certain date (2014, 2015, 2016...) any better? Worse?

YoAdrian

Jun 1, 2018
Truck Year

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Ok here we go IMO., The feed port of the block , Your hoping the lube makes it all the way to the TDC of Bedplate bearing. .Now the bedplate is subject to the Block if it move even a few thou it will cause wear on the bearing, You have a leak, Now How many of those leaks can you have ? ..There Are builders that mod the button end of Bedplates to lube better.

If the line boring or Pre/post TQ of the mating surfaces are NOT perfect its only time before it Pukes.

there's No channel on the Bedplate for TDC Lubing, Its design that way because that were all the force is occurring. You need 100% lubing 100% of time or wear occurs.

Also keep in mind this power plant spec for 3200LBS Car, its Now asked to push 6000LBS vehicle and at times pull up to 7500LBS... If everything is perfect it will last if not the clock starts ticking thats why you are now hearing of 100K mile engines failing. IMO

Attachments

• ED 3.0 Engine block.jpg
    ED 3.0 Engine block.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 37
  • ED 3.0 engine bedplate.jpg
    ED 3.0 engine bedplate.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

YoAdrian

Jun 1, 2018
Truck Year
Ok here we go
Indeed! Grateful to you for sharing your experienced viewpoint.

There Are builders that mod the button end of Bedplates to lube better.
How might a mod improve oil flow to the bearings, machined flow channels of some sort? Is it at all cost effective, maybe for someone past the 100000 mi end of the powertrain warranty... for instance go in and replace those bearings, fix the original lube design flaw, lock the cam gear, and have a long lasting engine after that point? Or would this only make sense on a new engine during a replacement (if at all)?

If everything is perfect it will last if not the clock starts ticking thats why you are now hearing of 100K mile engines failing. IMO
I was taught to hope for the best and plan for the worst. That’s why I ask so many questions. :)

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
YoAdrain, you had a good mentor I practices the same why! because it always works, just do OAs and ride out the final DOJ decision.. Leaks of the 2019 are starting , it looks like Some changes coming.

YoAdrian

Jun 1, 2018
Truck Year
I had my engine replaced last September under warranty with 77000 miles on it. To date, I have 30,000 on the new engine and have not had any issues...
Good news T John, here’s to keeping it running strong. What warranty was provided with the newly installed engine? Was it only the original vehicle powertrain, ie the remaining 23000 miles until you rolled over 100000? Or did you receive a new engine powertrain warranty based on the engine’s miles?

Bgbdwlf2500

Jun 24, 2018
Truck Year
I hadn't read about the reliability issues but the dealer I bought mine from gives a lifetime powertrain warranty. Got it on the Pacifica and the ram when we bought them. Only 4050 miles on the ram right now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

t John

Nov 14, 2016
Truck Year
Good news T John, here’s to keeping it running strong. What warranty was provided with the newly installed engine? Was it only the original vehicle powertrain, ie the remaining 23000 miles until you rolled over 100000? Or did you receive a new engine powertrain warranty based on the engine’s miles?
The warrenty was to 100,000. Currently 112000 on truck, 35,000 on new engine. I've used Schaeffer 9000 5w40 full synthetic diesel oil in since engine was installed. I've also only used #1 diesel fuel to. Keeping fingers crossed that this thing lasts. Bought it with the intent to put 300k on engine or more.

JTE

Aug 15, 2018
Truck Year
Aug 2018
Good day,

I had the unfortunate luck to have the EcoDiesel in my new Laramie suffer a main bearing failure while on a road trip. The truck lost power and the engine shredded itself into a fine mulch of metal filings and bearing bits. This happened with 5500 miles (9200 kms) on the odometer.

This was more than 500 kms from my home -- but the local Ontario Chrysler dealership was great. Gave me a truck to use for the rest of my trip.

However, when I returned to the dealership a week later on my way back home, the engine had not been replaced and I am still driving the rental truck.

I called FCA's warranty department -- I knew it wouldn't go well when the first question the customer service rep asked is if the engine replacement is under warranty -- and asked if they could ship the repaired truck to me, given it is a 12 hour drive there and back to the repair dealership.

FCA's rep basically said not a chance. Go get the truck yourself, it doesn't matter how far from your home you were when the truck engine failed. It isn't FCA's problem.

Has anyone on this group experienced a similar situation and did FCA ship the repaired truck back to you?

Blstr88

Aug 16, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Seems all the failures Ive read about are on 2014-2016 trucks...anybody have any failures on 2017-2018's yet?

Just about to pull the trigger on a brand new leftover 2017 Tradesman CC Ecodiesel...most of the failures seem to happen <100,000 miles so I figure if it happens while under warranty so be it, Ram will cover replacement...but the more I read about the failures the more I realize there doesnt seem to be any 2017+ failures? Still just too new/low mile maybe?

JTE

Aug 15, 2018
Truck Year
Seems all the failures Ive read about are on 2014-2016 trucks...anybody have any failures on 2017-2018's yet?

Just about to pull the trigger on a brand new leftover 2017 Tradesman CC Ecodiesel...most of the failures seem to happen <100,000 miles so I figure if it happens while under warranty so be it, Ram will cover replacement...but the more I read about the failures the more I realize there doesnt seem to be any 2017+ failures? Still just too new/low mile maybe?

Yes my 2017 EcoDeisel failed at 5500 miles on the odometer -- main bearing failure and engine subsequently tore itself apart.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Why buy considering warranty before purchase. and Yes their have been 2017-18 failures

That being said if the selling price is worth the risk go for it.