• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What's the best Engine Tune

pcatoe

Nov 28, 2019
Truck Year
Really curious about this new SFT deal I was leaning towards the HD with a new ecm, but I like the idea of having a hand held tuner.... so with this tuner what all can I disable, track, or monitor??

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
The SFT Touchscreen only holds your tunes, allowing you to switch between your stock tune and your SFT tune/s. You are not able to monitor anything or make any changes

tkabrick

Feb 5, 2018
Truck Year
Go with HD, there's is backed by lots of development and actual testing, not to mention the regen distance is vastly higher when compared to stock or SFT. There are also detailed comparisons done besides a seat of the pants comparison that shows SFT lacking, not to mention less soot produced is hard to argue against.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Go with HD, there's is backed by lots of development and actual testing, not to mention the regen distance is vastly higher when compared to stock or SFT. There are also detailed comparisons done besides a seat of the pants comparison that shows SFT lacking, not to mention less soot produced is hard to argue against.
I have run both GDE and SFT ECU tunes and I have to disagree with your comments. Regens on the hiway are basically the same, there is no "vastly higher" difference. I agree that local regens are different with GDE easily taking the prize. SFT has used FCA philosophy on local regens. Because users feel that local regens should be longer intervals (GDE influence) SFT has been working on extending local driving regens.

The only "comparisons" that I'm aware of were basic performance charts done by GDE. SFT claims GDE used defective SFT tunes. This whole subject has been discussed, disputed and opined early on and I don't intend to resurrect it here, I'm just saying. SFT also did comparisons and found GDE tunes were so superior. My actual seat of the pants comparisons is that SFT is every bit as good a tune than GDE, maybe even better. SFT continues to improve its tunes and by the way, any SFT generated upgrade is free. I'm on my third free upgrade.

I agree, GDE tunes were excellent, and if HD is truly the GDE tune it would also be excellent. pcatoe will have a good tune whichever way he decides. It's important that any info provided to him should be somewhat accurate.

Here IMO is a real benefit of the SFT tune,
I had an occasion to take my truck to my dealer last week. In case he needs to access my SFT tuned ECU It was really nice to just put my SFT Touchscreen tuner in my OBD2 port and move my ECU SFT tuned back to my stock tune, it took maybe 3-5 minutes. When the dealer was finished I merely repeated the process to change the ECU back to my SFT tune. In the past with my GDE tuned ECU, I would take my truck to my Service Manager who would have his tech remove the GDE tuned ECU, reinstall my Stock ECU, when finished remove the stock ECU and reinstall my GDE tuned ECU and charge me $60.00.

I'd like to add that for me any tune that shuts off our EGR is worth its cost. The rest of the tune is just frosting on the cake.

pcatoe

Nov 28, 2019
Truck Year
Thanks for all the info guys. I do like the idea of having a handheld tuner. I’m not sure which way I am going to go yet, however I agree I think either one will get the job done.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
SFT also did comparisons and found GDE tunes were so superior.
I need to correct this sentence from my post #64 above. It should read:
SFT also did comparisons and found GDE tunes were NOT so superior.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year

Golruss

Sep 14, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
E-mail them or call them I think you will be very pleased with how they respond. I called them and talked to them they did not try to make me feel like I was stupid. They answered all of my questions. I also searched a lot of forums for negative comments about their tune. I found NONE. I am still saving up for my new tune but when I get ready to buy it will definitely be a GDE tune.
I had the same experience with GDE. Great people to work with. I did the engine and trans tune - no turbo lag, improved mileage and just a nicer truck to drive. Just wish I could remove the speed limit of 105mph.
2018 Ram 1500 eco diesel.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Can I switch the trans tune back and forth with the hand held tuner also? I already have the TT installed and it is absolutely awesome.
Yes if you have the SFT tranny tune. The SFT tranny tune, comes with its own handheld Touchscreen tuner.
SFT tunes & tuners

Tyhunter6

Dec 7, 2019
Truck Year
Would you be able to program/set up a second ECM with Alfaobd to program with sofa king. I’m curious if this would keep the ref lash count down on the ECM. Then in theory someone could keep a stock ecm as well as a tuned one with sofa king and switch them out for dealership visits??

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I doubt it. You would have to ask SFT.

Mlauber

Dec 1, 2019
Truck Year
I have run both GDE and SFT ECU tunes and I have to disagree with your comments. Regens on the hiway are basically the same, there is no "vastly higher" difference. I agree that local regens are different with GDE easily taking the prize. SFT has used FCA philosophy on local regens. Because users feel that local regens should be longer intervals (GDE influence) SFT has been working on extending local driving regens.

The only "comparisons" that I'm aware of were basic performance charts done by GDE. SFT claims GDE used defective SFT tunes. This whole subject has been discussed, disputed and opined early on and I don't intend to resurrect it here, I'm just saying. SFT also did comparisons and found GDE tunes were so superior. My actual seat of the pants comparisons is that SFT is every bit as good a tune than GDE, maybe even better. SFT continues to improve its tunes and by the way, any SFT generated upgrade is free. I'm on my third free upgrade.

I agree, GDE tunes were excellent, and if HD is truly the GDE tune it would also be excellent. pcatoe will have a good tune whichever way he decides. It's important that any info provided to him should be somewhat accurate.

Here IMO is a real benefit of the SFT tune,
I had an occasion to take my truck to my dealer last week. In case he needs to access my SFT tuned ECU It was really nice to just put my SFT Touchscreen tuner in my OBD2 port and move my ECU SFT tuned back to my stock tune, it took maybe 3-5 minutes. When the dealer was finished I merely repeated the process to change the ECU back to my SFT tune. In the past with my GDE tuned ECU, I would take my truck to my Service Manager who would have his tech remove the GDE tuned ECU, reinstall my Stock ECU, when finished remove the stock ECU and reinstall my GDE tuned ECU and charge me $60.00.

I'd like to add that for me any tune that shuts off our EGR is worth its cost. The rest of the tune is just frosting on the cake.

I just installed a delete kit from HD Diesel supply out of Manitoba Canada and I’m extremely happy with it so far. It electronically deletes the EGR.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I just installed a delete kit from HD Diesel supply out of Manitoba Canada and I’m extremely happy with it so far. It electronically deletes the EGR.
What type of tuner did HD provide to tune the ECU?
Another forum is discussing the HD tuner. Some think it is a touchscreen tuner like SFT uses. One person swears it is not, that the HD tuner allows you to make changes to or modify the ECU parameters.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
you chose the best one for tunes ,only one person will tell different, I use hd religiously they r the best

Mlauber

Dec 1, 2019
Truck Year
What type of tuner did HD provide to tune the ECU?
Another forum is discussing the HD tuner. Some think it is a touchscreen tuner like SFT uses. One person swears it is not, that the HD tuner allows you to make changes to or modify the ECU parameters.
They sent me a tuned ECU and I just swapped it out with mine. I had to mail mine back to them for a core return fee.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
They sent me a tuned ECU and I just swapped it out with mine. I had to mail mine back to them for a core return fee.
Thanks, that helps a lot. We thought were now sending out the OBD2 tuner.