• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What's the best Engine Tune

vinniegracci

Feb 13, 2020
Truck Year
What type of tuner did HD provide to tune the ECU?
Another forum is discussing the HD tuner. Some think it is a touchscreen tuner like SFT uses. One person swears it is not, that the HD tuner allows you to make changes to or modify the ECU parameters.
The HD tuner IS a handheld touch screen device. Sounds like the same setup as SFT. I had the engine/tranny double touchscreen setup coming from SFT but because of this damn virus they can't get tuners from China for the un-forseeable future. So I went to HD and was gonna do an ECU exchange like GDE used to do. Brett from HD calls me up and says they have a handheld flash tuner now and that would be the way to go. So I got the tuner. Downloaded my stock tune to it, and was able to send it off in an email. They are working on it now, and I should have it back in a few days. At that point I will have both the stock and new tune stored on the device and can swap them out in about 10 minutes.

timmytime

Dec 11, 2019
Truck Year
The HD tuner IS a handheld touch screen device. Sounds like the same setup as SFT. I had the engine/tranny double touchscreen setup coming from SFT but because of this damn virus they can't get tuners from China for the un-forseeable future. So I went to HD and was gonna do an ECU exchange like GDE used to do. Brett from HD calls me up and says they have a handheld flash tuner now and that would be the way to go. So I got the tuner. Downloaded my stock tune to it, and was able to send it off in an email. They are working on it now, and I should have it back in a few days. At that point I will have both the stock and new tune stored on the device and can swap them out in about 10 minutes.
Actually, you'll have it back quicker than a few days, unless they are on virus shutdown. It took them about an hour with mine.

vinniegracci

Feb 13, 2020
Truck Year
Actually, you'll have it back quicker than a few days, unless they are on virus shutdown. It took them about an hour with mine.
Got it back today. Dodge had done a recall that required programming so they had started using a new kind of file, but hell ya! I'm getting 5 to 6 more mpg's! I did a 25 mile trip just before I installed the tune. I reset the MPG computer to get just the average mpg's of that trip. 21.1 mpg average. After the tune install and resetting the computer again I took the same trip. 27.5 mpg's! Truck used to just kind of grunt along at 60MPH and if I needed to pass or accelerate i would press the pedal about halfway down. The tranny would downshift. The motor would rev up up about 1000 rpm and it would go. I bought the truck used so I didn't really think anything of it. Now you can hear the turbo whine up because that POS EGR valve isn't robbing exhaust flow to spool it up. It runs happy at 65mph and if I need to accelerate I push the pedal just a little bit and instead of the tranny downshifting 2 gears all that happens is i hear the turbo spool up a bit and the torque of the motor gets it up to 70-75 mph before I know it. No high revving or downshifting. It works like a diesel should. 2 Thumbs up for HD Diesel supply from me!!

FL Ram Eco Diesel

Apr 7, 2020
Truck Year
I just purchased a 2020 Laramie Eco Diesel. I've been reading all the benefits of the tuner.
SO my question... Is there a tuner for the 2020 Eco Diesel?

pcatoe

Nov 28, 2019
Truck Year
I just purchased a 2020 Laramie Eco Diesel. I've been reading all the benefits of the tuner.
SO my question... Is there a tuner for the 2020 Eco Diesel?
I looked on SFT website he isn’t listing anything for the 2020 you can try and look on HD Diesel supply and see if they have anything I haven’t heard on seen anyone on here Tuning the new Eco’s. But I’m sure it will become available at some point I would think.

Cj60

May 8, 2020
Truck Year
Got it back today. Dodge had done a recall that required programming so they had started using a new kind of file, but hell ya! I'm getting 5 to 6 more mpg's! I did a 25 mile trip just before I installed the tune. I reset the MPG computer to get just the average mpg's of that trip. 21.1 mpg average. After the tune install and resetting the computer again I took the same trip. 27.5 mpg's! Truck used to just kind of grunt along at 60MPH and if I needed to pass or accelerate i would press the pedal about halfway down. The tranny would downshift. The motor would rev up up about 1000 rpm and it would go. I bought the truck used so I didn't really think anything of it. Now you can hear the turbo whine up because that POS EGR valve isn't robbing exhaust flow to spool it up. It runs happy at 65mph and if I need to accelerate I push the pedal just a little bit and instead of the tranny downshifting 2 gears all that happens is i hear the turbo spool up a bit and the torque of the motor gets it up to 70-75 mph before I know it. No high revving or downshifting. It works like a diesel should. 2 Thumbs up for HD Diesel supply from me!!
So does your tune from HD shut off the EGR system? It's been a while since you posted this, how are you liking the tune now?
I am seriously thinking of doing this instead of a complete delete, just trying to decide on HD or waiting until GDE releases their new tune... Guess I better start reading up on a Tranny Tune (even though I have zero complaints against stock tranny)...

vinniegracci

Feb 13, 2020
Truck Year
So does your tune from HD shut off the EGR system? It's been a while since you posted this, how are you liking the tune now?
I am seriously thinking of doing this instead of a complete delete, just trying to decide on HD or waiting until GDE releases their new tune... Guess I better start reading up on a Tranny Tune (even though I have zero complaints against stock tranny)...
Yes it shuts the EGR off even when it's still installed. You can remove and delete it or not. Your choice. They say that once it's(the tune) is installed the EGR cooler won't get the stress to fracture like they do. Unfortunately mine already had cracks and was beginning to leak so I was too late getting the tune in. Long story short I'm still under warranty and am waiting for the new EGR cooler replacement which is only available for the 14/15s right now. Mine is 2016. I'm not driving the truck to avoid any damage that might incur now that FCA knows about my cooler leaking. The HD tune is great. You just use a programmer they send you and you can install the stock tune or there's within 10 minutes. I was getting 6 more miles to the gallon and the performance was night and day. Can't wait till I get that damn cooler replaced so I can put the tune back in. Also Since the cooler is leaking I can tell the new tune shuts it off. As with the stock tune it leaks coolant into the intake manifold and you don't notice anything except coolant going low. With the HD tune installed the cooler leaks externally and leaves a coolant puddle on the ground behind the passenger tire. That tells me that the EGR is indeed disabled with the HD tune. They have great customer service and I highly recommend them.

Cj60

May 8, 2020
Truck Year
Thank you so much! I just want to rid myself of anything that will surely mess the engine up. Had the EGR cooler replaced already, and the "new tune", so have extended warranty. But if I can easily just re-tune it as needed to take it in for warranty work or service, I would be good to go.
Can't wait to get this done.

Cj60

May 8, 2020
Truck Year
Oops, forgot to ask... I will be hauling my jet boat a lot with my 1500, would the engine braking option be a good thing? How about the high idle option? Thanks!

-STIGLITZ-

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year
Oops, forgot to ask... I will be hauling my jet boat a lot with my 1500, would the engine braking option be a good thing? How about the high idle option? Thanks!
The engine brake option is a must, if you’re hauling Frequently IMO! I haul an enclosed trailer around Central GA, so the terrain is pretty even. I still wouldn’t want to go without it. As for the high idle, it’s a God send during the colder months. I initially installed the tune in Upstate NY. It made a world of difference!

Dennett

May 18, 2020
Truck Year
I haul our 4500 lb travel trailer with our 2014 Jeep GC EcoDiesel through the mountains of B.C. and Alberta. When I use the cruise control, the Jeep’s standard systems do a reasonably good job holding the speed constant on long downhills. However, I would like to get a tune to improve the fuel economy, and wonder what the engine braking option will do for me and how does it work. Does it do its thing automatically, or do I change a setting somewhere to turn it on or off?

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
The SFT tune operates the "engine/exhaust" (actually it is turbo braking) braking automatically when you are in tow-haul and above 2000 rpms. To keep it above 2000 rpms you merely downshift to another gear.
I'm not sure how it activates in the other tunes.

Dennett

May 18, 2020
Truck Year
The SFT tune operates the "engine/exhaust" (actually it is turbo braking) braking automatically when you are in tow-haul and above 2000 rpms. To keep it above 2000 rpms you merely downshift to another gear.
I’m new to our standard-tune 2014 Jeep GC EcoDiesel, but I don’t think it has a “Tow-Haul” setting... that sounds like a truck thing. I put the GC in “Sport” mode when towing in hill country or in stop-and-go urban traffic. The Jeep EcoDiesel slows quickly to a lower constant speed, just as if if I had pressed firmly on the brakes, when I‘m on a long downhill and lower my cruise control speed in a single step of 10 kph. It feels to me like it is shutting off the fuel and using old-fashioned engine compression braking to hold the new lower speed with no perceptible downshift. I actually really like this feature. Does the Engine Braking option on the HD tune use compression braking every time you take your foot off the gas, or every time you touch the brake pedal? When and how does it do its magic?

Last edited:

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
John, I'm starting to look seriously at tunes for my ECO, I've checked GDE & SFT, these are the choices for me, the EPA approved GDE tuneis adverting 75% reduction in soot production and fewer regens, how do you think the sofaking package comparesas far as soot production, I've read your posts concerning the SFK tunes and liking the way it performs. I would very much like to have an "on demand" high idle option, not just for faster warm-ups and also turbo braking..

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
John, I'm starting to look seriously at tunes for my ECO, I've checked GDE & SFT, these are the choices for me, the EPA approved GDE tuneis adverting 75% reduction in soot production and fewer regens, how do you think the sofaking package comparesas far as soot production, I've read your posts concerning the SFK tunes and liking the way it performs. I would very much like to have an "on demand" high idle option, not just for faster warm-ups and also turbo braking..
Caveman,
Here's what I've learned. The original GDE tune had long intervals between regens and espoused that it was a cleaner tune (less soot production). However, it has been reported that GDE's cleaner tune came at a cost of high temps. The SFT tune, like the factory tune, has more frequent regens during local driving, however, in my experience with highway driving, SFT was comparable to GDE. GDE is reporting that their new compliance tune is even cleaner, time will tell. Soot is a complex subject. Everyone will agree that regens are vital. That's all I am going to say, any more and I get attacked by the GDE fanboys. They'll probably react anyway.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
Thanks John, I'm looking at both, but a little leery of the new GDE TUNES because they are new, on the flip side they say they're EPA 49 state approved.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Thanks John, I'm looking at both, but a little leery of the new GDE TUNES because they are new, on the flip side they say they're EPA 49 state approved.
Yes, If GDE isn't already he will have an approved tune. There's no reason not to believe what they are saying about the new tune, Kieth has a good reputation and apparently some good engineers/tune experts available.

What bothers me a bit is GDE has always said it is important to turn off the EGR to stop soot from entering the intake and engine. Now, with this new tune, turning the EGR off is no longer important. I hope it performs as being advertised, if it does it will be a huge success story.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
The EGR question was asked and the answer was very vague & merely said EGR operation was similar or something to that effect. I think EGR de-activation is critical & since I don't have to test the only time it would be a problem is remembering to swap the stock tune back in before warranty or shop work.

vinniegracci

Feb 13, 2020
Truck Year
If you just send an email or call HD they are very helpful. They told me that the high idle wasn't necessary for me because of the area of the country I live in. They will be very patient with you and answer all your questions till you are satisfied.