What's the best Engine Tune

• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

vinniegracci

Feb 13, 2020
Portland, oregon
Truck Year
What type of tuner did HD provide to tune the ECU?
Another forum is discussing the HD tuner. Some think it is a touchscreen tuner like SFT uses. One person swears it is not, that the HD tuner allows you to make changes to or modify the ECU parameters.
The HD tuner IS a handheld touch screen device. Sounds like the same setup as SFT. I had the engine/tranny double touchscreen setup coming from SFT but because of this damn virus they can't get tuners from China for the un-forseeable future. So I went to HD and was gonna do an ECU exchange like GDE used to do. Brett from HD calls me up and says they have a handheld flash tuner now and that would be the way to go. So I got the tuner. Downloaded my stock tune to it, and was able to send it off in an email. They are working on it now, and I should have it back in a few days. At that point I will have both the stock and new tune stored on the device and can swap them out in about 10 minutes.

timmytime

Dec 11, 2019
Lapeer, MI
Truck Year
The HD tuner IS a handheld touch screen device. Sounds like the same setup as SFT. I had the engine/tranny double touchscreen setup coming from SFT but because of this damn virus they can't get tuners from China for the un-forseeable future. So I went to HD and was gonna do an ECU exchange like GDE used to do. Brett from HD calls me up and says they have a handheld flash tuner now and that would be the way to go. So I got the tuner. Downloaded my stock tune to it, and was able to send it off in an email. They are working on it now, and I should have it back in a few days. At that point I will have both the stock and new tune stored on the device and can swap them out in about 10 minutes.
Actually, you'll have it back quicker than a few days, unless they are on virus shutdown. It took them about an hour with mine.

Reactions: vinniegracci

vinniegracci

Feb 13, 2020
Portland, oregon
Truck Year
Actually, you'll have it back quicker than a few days, unless they are on virus shutdown. It took them about an hour with mine.
Got it back today. Dodge had done a recall that required programming so they had started using a new kind of file, but hell ya! I'm getting 5 to 6 more mpg's! I did a 25 mile trip just before I installed the tune. I reset the MPG computer to get just the average mpg's of that trip. 21.1 mpg average. After the tune install and resetting the computer again I took the same trip. 27.5 mpg's! Truck used to just kind of grunt along at 60MPH and if I needed to pass or accelerate i would press the pedal about halfway down. The tranny would downshift. The motor would rev up up about 1000 rpm and it would go. I bought the truck used so I didn't really think anything of it. Now you can hear the turbo whine up because that POS EGR valve isn't robbing exhaust flow to spool it up. It runs happy at 65mph and if I need to accelerate I push the pedal just a little bit and instead of the tranny downshifting 2 gears all that happens is i hear the turbo spool up a bit and the torque of the motor gets it up to 70-75 mph before I know it. No high revving or downshifting. It works like a diesel should. 2 Thumbs up for HD Diesel supply from me!!