• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What's the best Engine Tune

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
There really aren't any choices of actual tunes out there anymore are there?
SKT or HD diesel?

SofaKingTuned

Dec 31, 2018
Truck Year
Go with HD, there's is backed by lots of development and actual testing, not to mention the regen distance is vastly higher when compared to stock or SFT. There are also detailed comparisons done besides a seat of the pants comparison that shows SFT lacking, not to mention less soot produced is hard to argue against.
The only comparison in DETAIL is here showing SFT is superior.

SofaKingTuned

Dec 31, 2018
Truck Year
I had the same experience with GDE. Great people to work with. I did the engine and trans tune - no turbo lag, improved mileage and just a nicer truck to drive. Just wish I could remove the speed limit of 105mph.
2018 Ram 1500 eco diesel.
With the AlfaOBD app and a bluetooth dongle (OBDLink MX) you can adjust the top speed limit on your EcoDiesel, among many other features.

timmytime

Dec 11, 2019
Truck Year
Thanks, that helps a lot. We thought were now sending out the OBD2 tuner.
They've switched their tuning methods. They no longer send out ECMs, but send out a OBD2 tuner now. I ordered one last week. Mine should arrive soon.

timmytime

Dec 11, 2019
Truck Year
They've switched their tuning methods. They no longer send out ECMs, but send out a OBD2 tuner now. I ordered one last week. Mine should arrive soon.
So mine arrived, and its the Alientech Powegate programmer. Problem is, it doesn't work. I've been dealing with it for 2 days now. I'm about to send it back. BTW, I know computers, and I even already use an Alientech Powergate on my Hemi C. I'd stay away from this one.

-STIGLITZ-

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year
So mine arrived, and its the Alientech Powegate programmer. Problem is, it doesn't work. I've been dealing with it for 2 days now. I'm about to send it back. BTW, I know computers, and I even already use an Alientech Powergate on my Hemi C. I'd stay away from this one.
Not to ask the obvious but, have you reached out to HD? They’re a great bunch of guys.

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
Yes. They stopped responding to me yesterday. Maybe the coronavirus has them shut down.
Maybe they'll need to send a different programmer. Here I was thinking I'll be going this route as soon as I can, but I'll wait a little.....

timmytime

Dec 11, 2019
Truck Year
After two days I still haven't heard from HDDS (coronavirus? IDK), but I seemed to have found the problem was from using the SS type USB ports of my computer. The normal USB ports are hard to get to on my desktop, but when I plugged the programmer in there, it now seems to have gotten past the error. On to the next step.

JimmyD74

Dec 25, 2019
Truck Year
After two days I still haven't heard from HDDS (coronavirus? IDK), but I seemed to have found the problem was from using the SS type USB ports of my computer. The normal USB ports are hard to get to on my desktop, but when I plugged the programmer in there, it now seems to have gotten past the error. On to the next step.
What is HHDS ? I'm not furmiliar with the terminology.

timmytime

Dec 11, 2019
Truck Year
The tuner seems to have re-flashed my truck, although its not appearing any different yet (and HDDS said I would have CEL for the first five starts, but I have no code). I haven't made a test run yet due to the area coronavirus shut down

LimitingFactor

Aug 29, 2018
Truck Year
I just installed the HD Diesel Supply tune a few days ago using their new hand held tuner. It was very easy.
The difference was immediately noticeable due to the significant reduction in turbo lag. The motor actually sounds different, likely due to the EGR being closed (leaner mixture.) The acceleration certainly feels much better. Hard to say if it's due to lack of turbo lag, but it feels "faster." I've only driven it on a couple short trips so I don't have any mpg info yet, but will report back.
My mpgs used to be 23-24 and dropped to ~20 after the AEM, although it seemed to take some time for that to happen.

timmytime

Dec 11, 2019
Truck Year
I drove mine with the new tune, but couldn't feel a difference in power what so ever. MPG is drastically improved...so drastically, I'm not sure I'm believing it.

LimitingFactor

Aug 29, 2018
Truck Year
Did you have the AEM installed? My conclusion on the AEM is that it's not that different than the original except for cold running performance. The turbo lag when cold was dangerously long. Once the truck warmed up is was still laggy, but that was normal for the ecodiesel. I'm curious that you haven't seen a difference regarding the turbo lag. It was day and night for me the first time i pushed the accelerator pedal.

timmytime

Dec 11, 2019
Truck Year
Yes, I had the AEM. But, I have a take home car to drive back and forth to work and my truck is for weekends/pleasure, as well as where I live I drive 5 miles of dirt road slowly before I hit pavement. My truck is always warm when I stomp on it, so I've never really noticed lag.

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
Hey guys, how long would you say it takes to do the flash to tuned or to go back to stock?