• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What's the best Engine Tune

vinniegracci

Feb 13, 2020
Truck Year
Thanks John, I'm looking at both, but a little leery of the new GDE TUNES because they are new, on the flip side they say they're EPA 49 state approved.
HD dieselsupply is a very good option for you as well checkout their website hddieselsupply.com. They have tunes that will let you leave your emissions in place and deactivate the egr.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Good decision :)

vinniegracci

Feb 13, 2020
Truck Year
Yep. Also a good option. I would have went with them but they were out of handhelds with no due date in site. HD just happen to have what i wanted in stock. Both places are very responsive to their customers.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
I gotta sell my brake lathe first though, I don't really have a use for it anymore so I may as well liquidate it.

Cj60

May 8, 2020
Truck Year
Well I am going on a fishing vacation on 6/10, so I will have to wait until I get back to buy/install the tune. After the dealer re-flashing the ECU (while replacing the EGR Cooler), my Ram feels more sluggish and instead of the 19.4 mpg I was getting pre-flash while pulling my Jet Boat, I am now lucky to hit 15 mpg. Why the hell don't they just re-program using either SFT or HD tunes? I understand that they have to tune while keeping the EGR system on, but I would think even with the EGR on the aftermarket tunes would still be a hell of a lot better. It's simply ridiculous, but that's the Gov't for ya.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
Just ordered the SFT combo with rally option on the tranny, plus a new EDGE INSIGHT CTS 3. Not sure how long the tune will take since they have a shipping delay due to a programming problem on the 2018 + transmission tunes, info says the RAM tune is ok so maybe soon! I'm wondering if I should try to get the EGR recall done before I tune.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Just ordered the SFT combo with rally option on the tranny, plus a new EDGE INSIGHT CTS 3. Not sure how long the tune will take since they have a shipping delay due to a programming problem on the 2018 + transmission tunes, info says the RAM tune is ok so maybe soon! I'm wondering if I should try to get the EGR recall done before I tune.
Definitely get the recall done before the tune. If you don't and you get the tune, you have to then get the recall (AEM) update tune after the recall flash. That's another $50.00 and doing the install all over again.
Keep it simple - get the recall flash before the tune.

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
Get the EGR recall done before you add the tune to your truck. Or there’s a possibility that they will flash your ECU delete your tune. I have a GDE hot tune on my truck, I am in the process of cloning a savage ECM to use in my truck and then take it to the dealer and have the EGR recall done. When I get home I can swap back to the GDE hot tune ECU.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
That would be great if the dealer would listen.
The dealer where I bought the truck is HUGE, and growing all the time.There's a cafe on the property, it's next to the freeway and pretty much extends from one exit on the freeway to the next one, they have been there for at least 60 years, I can remember TV commercials way back in the 60's that advertised Dodge trucks for 1,599.00, then they went to 1,799.00 I think they were stepside, slant six & three on the tree, & no AC. I think I'm gonna try to get an appointment to get it taken care of, it's coming due for it's second oil change since I bought it, it just passed 5000miles since the last service, I havent decided if I'm gonna do the 8000 or follow the oil life gauge, it's at about 48%

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
" That would be great if the dealer would listen. "

You can "opt out" of the AEM emissions upgrade and still get the new warranty, you only forfeit the check. It's your truck, the dealer has to listen. If you tell him not to do the flash he has to honor your request.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
You can "opt out" of the AEM emissions upgrade and still get the new warranty, you only forfeit the money refund. It's your truck, the dealer has to listen. If you tell him not to do the flash he has to honor your request.
I don't think I'm eligible for the AEM stuff, my truck is 2017, I thought it ran 2014 to 16, it definitely has a throttle lag even after I installed the AFE version of the pedal booster, it helped A LOT, it's still there, & it comes on like gangbusters when she finally starts fueling.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Caveman,
You are correct. The AEM recall was only for 2014-16.

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
The dealer where I bought the truck is HUGE, and growing all the time.There's a cafe on the property, it's next to the freeway and pretty much extends from one exit on the freeway to the next one, they have been there for at least 60 years, I can remember TV commercials way back in the 60's that advertised Dodge trucks for 1,599.00, then they went to 1,799.00 I think they were stepside, slant six & three on the tree, & no AC. I think I'm gonna try to get an appointment to get it taken care of, it's coming due for it's second oil change since I bought it, it just passed 5000miles since the last service, I havent decided if I'm gonna do the 8000 or follow the oil life gauge, it's at about 48%

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
MAKE SURE you double check your oil level after the dealer replaces your oil, my local dealer over filled my truck every time I got my oil changed. It got so bad that I had one free oil change left on my contract when I decided to changing my own oil. I use Amsoil 15-40 diesel oil. I run stock oil filters because I do want to give the dealer ANY reason to deny my warranty if I have a problem.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
The dealer WON'T touch my rig when it comes to services, I manage a diesel fleet for over 13 years and had trucks with over 600k with only routine maintenance, the last thing I need is for some lube monkey to put the wrong oil in or not follow the recommended drain time.
I'm currently using T6, but also looking at AMSOIL & SCHAEFFERS, MOPAR oil & fuel filters.