• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DPF filter full - see dealer

MoscowEngnr

Aug 4, 2016
Truck Year
Was doing a small errand tonight getting ready for a road trip tomorrow. Drove about a mile to my "toy shed" and saw a message "Need Regerneration - drive at Highway speeds..." Shut down to unload a few things from the back bed, then restarted the engine. Now get a message "Exhaust Filter 100% full - requires service - go to dealer".
I thought I would try driving at highway speeds. Started out and noticed that the ECM limits me to 3000 RPM and 35 MPH in some "limp mode"
Truck is 2014 Larame 4x4 EcoDiesel, with about 110,600 miles. Just replaced DEF tank a few weeks ago because DEF gauge was broken, and not sold seperatly. ECM was in some countdown mode and would not restart after 500 miles from initial message. I love this truck, but the recent exhaust treatment failures makes me wonder if I can live with a high milage EcoDiesel??
Seen a few posts about DPF removal. Anyone there done this yet?? Main question is what ECM tuning is required when this is done?? Notes on some sites say this is required.
Any ideas on where to get replacement DPF unit, and cost of it??

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Was doing a small errand tonight getting ready for a road trip tomorrow. Drove about a mile to my "toy shed" and saw a message "Need Regerneration - drive at Highway speeds..." Shut down to unload a few things from the back bed, then restarted the engine. Now get a message "Exhaust Filter 100% full - requires service - go to dealer".
I thought I would try driving at highway speeds. Started out and noticed that the ECM limits me to 3000 RPM and 35 MPH in some "limp mode"
Truck is 2014 Larame 4x4 EcoDiesel, with about 110,600 miles. Just replaced DEF tank a few weeks ago because DEF gauge was broken, and not sold seperatly. ECM was in some countdown mode and would not restart after 500 miles from initial message. I love this truck, but the recent exhaust treatment failures makes me wonder if I can live with a high milage EcoDiesel??
Seen a few posts about DPF removal. Anyone there done this yet?? Main question is what ECM tuning is required when this is done?? Notes on some sites say this is required.
Any ideas on where to get replacement DPF unit, and cost of it??

Welcome!

Yes, any emissions removal would require the proper tuning. A few companies out there do it. One being PPEI.com and GDE (Green Diesel Engineering).

What are your driving habits? If you drive in the city a lot and never get up to highway speeds the truck doesn't have a chance to burn off the contents of the DPF.

Since you're out of warranty and if your country/city doesn't do emissions then your best route at this time is to take it off.

Last edited:

MoscowEngnr

Aug 4, 2016
Truck Year
Welcome!

Yes, any emissions removal would require the proper tuning. A few companies out there do it. One being PPEI.com and GDE (Green Diesel Engineering).

What are your driving habits? If you drive in the city a lot and never get up to highway speeds the truck doesn't have a change to burn off the contents of the DPF.

Since you're out of warranty and if your country/city doesn't do emissions then your best route at this time is to take it off.

MoscowEngnr

Aug 4, 2016
Truck Year
I wonder if a leaky Turbo is a factor. I have some extended warranty where they "MIGHT" do a turbo warranty replacement but only after some inspection. Shop wants about $1150 to remove the turbo for inspection. Warranty will not do anything if I do repairs myself.
Here they do inspections, but not emissions for diesels.
Is there a "Look Like" replacement pipe that looks like a DPF and CAT??

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I wonder if a leaky Turbo is a factor. I have some extended warranty where they "MIGHT" do a turbo warranty replacement but only after some inspection. Shop wants about $1150 to remove the turbo for inspection. Warranty will not do anything if I do repairs myself.
Here they do inspections, but not emissions for diesels.
Is there a "Look Like" replacement pipe that looks like a DPF and CAT??

Some people actually "gut" the DPF to give that impression. I'm not sure if you can buy a look a like DPF though..I've never come across one.

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
Sounds like the computer may have just gotten confused. I think that GDE said somethign about being able to do a forced regen - in park hold the engine at 2500 RPM and the regen will occur.

A "fake" DPF won't work as the exhaust has sensors for DPF pressure drop. If the pressure drop doesn't make sense, it will cause an emissions light. Best thing you can do to protect it is get a tune from GDE that will dramatically lessen the soot buildup.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
A "fake" DPF won't work as the exhaust has sensors for DPF pressure drop. If the pressure drop doesn't make sense, it will cause an emissions light. Best thing you can do to protect it is get a tune from GDE that will dramatically lessen the soot buildup.

A "fake one" is more for the visual aspect. Of course you'd have to have the proper programming...

CaptainMal

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
Second that GDE. Just tell them you want if programmed for the delete. Think it's called "off road" or something like that.

Blownwillyscoup

Jul 12, 2016
Too much emission crap on these engines after we had our new engine installed in or 2015 Ram Eco diesel started getting some error about a throttle plate then the DPF filter is 100% full. The truck only had 32 thousand kilometres on it. Traded the headache in for a 2016 Hemi Ram Sport.