• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Air Suspension Problems

SixpacMacK

Mar 4, 2019
Truck Year
Update. FYI no longer under warranty as it’s over mileage. Have been trying for a week to get this Ram back into the air, replaced a blowen fuse, had it in a relatives heated garage for seven hours, no change. Back outside....Removed the fibre cover from compressor and cleaned out 2” of packed snow, wrapped a 55 watt battery blanket around compressor and plugged it in for the better part of 4 days, yesterday -18 C tried system and no change, could hear compressor running at back. So that’s a good sign. Today -6 C and tried system again, this time jacked up front end to take weight of engine off air bags, and surprise the system started to rise, could hear electrical whirring from front end, went from all lights on air ride buttons to be able to get it to cycle thru the lowering of off road 1 and 2. Drove it down the road and feels good to have suspension working again. Called dealer that is trying to help customers by adding brake line anti freeze to each air bag and will book appointment for next week.

Special thanks to Bob S.

Frank D.

Mar 7, 2019
Truck Year
So i was tired of that problem with my air suspension not handling cold. I'm living in Canada and this winter was pretty bad. That would have cost me 4500$ to make the repairs without knowing if that problem will come back.... so i changed for 4 coil springs. Cost me less then half and I'm good to go for next winter! The only thing now is that i can't figure how to turn off the air suspension light.... i removed the F50 and F5 fuse and it still shows up. Anyone fixed that problem before?

Erique

Mar 12, 2019
Truck Year
Haha jinx'd myself. Pulled into subway today and this popped up, but I can't pull any codes on torque anyways. Going to try my speedo calibrator scanner which is more in depth in a bit here.View attachment 1530
I've got this same problem right now with 19k miles not sure what to do but taking it to dealer tomorrow my fronts are down and the bake is up

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
My results were a leaking bag, and the general overheated compressor/stuck valve block but my extended Warranty is being a stickler because it's near the end of it's service life so i'll likely be having to do the 500$ compressor out of pocket by next year.

SixpacMacK

Mar 4, 2019
Truck Year
Update #2. Took truck to better dealership. Truck is still under warranty till Sept 2015 or 160,000 km.
They ran checks on system, lots of codes, but all bags, sensors, valves and compressor running as expected.
Had them do Brake Line Antfreeze addition to all air bags, remove and reinstall of nitrogen.
So system should be better at withstanding cold temperatures, any improvement is better then stock.
Cost $335.00 Canadian Gst included.
Confirmed with service advisor that I could pass on dealer info.
So special thanks to Darrel, Service advisor at Londonderry Dodge in Edmonton Alberta.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Update #2. Took truck to better dealership. Truck is still under warranty till Sept 2015 or 160,000 km.
They ran checks on system, lots of codes, but all bags, sensors, valves and compressor running as expected.
Had them do Brake Line Antfreeze addition to all air bags, remove and reinstall of nitrogen.
So system should be better at withstanding cold temperatures, any improvement is better then stock.
Cost $335.00 Canadian Gst included.
Confirmed with service advisor that I could pass on dealer info.
So special thanks to Darrel, Service advisor at Londonderry Dodge in Edmonton Alberta.

Great news! Hopefully it holds up for you this time.

Jester

Sep 20, 2016
Truck Year
Been having all of the problems many have listed and been to the dealer 6 times now. My most recent problems are that once fixed all works perfect and then after a week or so of driving it starts to get soft. Front looks lower than it should as does rear. It bottoms out mercilessly and rocks front to rear over bumps like a pogo stick. like springs in a regular truck are bad. Do these things have a pressure sensor in them to keep the pressure set a constant value. I have had dropped front and back problems as others have had, riding like a brick wagon etc. Cycles through settings now but still very soft suspension. Dealer resets codes checks everything and says all is good. Week later crap ride again. Any help would be appreciated.

Jester

Jester

Sep 20, 2016
Truck Year
I was speaking with a heavy diesel mechanic that works on large trucks and mining equipment that use airbags on just about everything and this is a common problem for them and they use Tannergas additive in their systems with great success. He suggested I have them add just a few drops in the air bags and ahead of the compressor as it lubricates, and deices. Cure the issues they have had in extreme cold. He says without it the check valves and lines freeze up. I am going to try it Click on the name beside for more info. Tannergas systems

NickEcoDiesel

Nov 20, 2019
Truck Year
jdn: the brick wagon was a reference to what the ride feels like in the truck These are the two warning messages one gets as the air suspension system fails and this is what the truck looks like with the drivers side full down.
Also I was mistaken the first failure started at 87,000 km and it's taken until now to get an actual documented failure where the second dealer could read the error codes. Note: not covered under the original F/C 100,000 km warrenty and as I indicated not under the full extended warrenty either!

View attachment 1529 View attachment 1528 View attachment 1527
hi i have the same problem the left back suspension not even with the write side do you have any idea how to fix it or what is the problem

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
the easiest way 2 fox to is change it over to regular suspension its alot cheaper

Bob S.

Sep 1, 2016
Truck Year
Absolutely agree with Carlhenry, remove the system and put stock RAM suspension in the truck as I finally did and save yourself a whole lot of aggravation and money! As I said the truck rides pretty good, can be repaired anywhere in North America and it comes with a two year warrenty.

Richard Bays

May 30, 2016
Truck Year
A bit late but yes I've had the same problem. Dealer has no solution. The issue is the ambient air used to inflate the bags is humid and over time water will accumulate during the summer and then freeze. I have had success by paying attention to the weather (humidity) and not lowering the suspension as often. I also do not lower it when humid weather or rain is expected, when you start the next day it raises and sucks in wet air. The colder the air, the drier it is.As winter approaches lower it when you have had a few days of cold weather - next day you will draw in in cooler but drier air. Nitrogen makes no sense as it will be exhausted when you lower it.
I'm in Eastern Ontario, have not had the issue repeat since I changed my habits.

Bob S.

Sep 1, 2016
Truck Year
I did all the replacements, actually have dealer that went out of its way to help out. They came up with brake line antifreeze in the airbags, did that and had the compressor vent routed into the truck box ( canopy covered) where I installed a desicant air filter to stop that moist air from getting back into the compressor and it worked well for all most a year. Then this past summer while driving in Jasper on a warm August day it starting blowing 40 amp compressor fuses, that was it I was done with air suspension in my Limited!

C. Turner

Jan 12, 2020
Truck Year
I did all the replacements, actually have dealer that went out of its way to help out. They came up with brake line antifreeze in the airbags, did that and had the compressor vent routed into the truck box ( canopy covered) where I installed a desicant air filter to stop that moist air from getting back into the compressor and it worked well for all most a year. Then this past summer while driving in Jasper on a warm August day it starting blowing 40 amp compressor fuses, that was it I was done with air suspension in my Limited!
I've got a '13 Laramie. On my 4th compressor, Control module and numerous fuses and relays replaced. Started at 31,000 miles. Now with 120,000 not getting the help I am requesting. I understand vehicle is "older" now, but problem has been an issue for a very long time and not caused by anything I did. This is a personal vehicle that is pampered. Very frustrated.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I've got a '13 Laramie. On my 4th compressor, Control module and numerous fuses and relays replaced. Started at 31,000 miles. Now with 120,000 not getting the help I am requesting. I understand vehicle is "older" now, but problem has been an issue for a very long time and not caused by anything I did. This is a personal vehicle that is pampered. Very frustrated.
I'll be honest, I have coils sitting in my garage just waiting for it to fail again this winter. I can't out of pocket 2k for a compressor assembly to do it again in a year. I absolutely love it, but it's flawed by design.

Redskins1st

May 23, 2021
Truck Year
Im having problems with the air suspension on the highway. Took it to the dealer said i needed a up date got 290$ update still has not fixed the problem i only have 90,000 miles on the truck what could be the problem ?

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Im having problems with the air suspension on the highway. Took it to the dealer said i needed a up date got 290$ update still has not fixed the problem i only have 90,000 miles on the truck what could be the problem ?
You don't really give enough information for anyone to help diagnose any issues you might be having.

Redskins1st

May 23, 2021
Truck Year
You don't really give enough information for anyone to help diagnose any issues you might be having.
I have 1500 eco diesel 2015 90,000 miles the air suspension stops working on the highway at speeds like 77 truck rides bad warning light comes on then goes off problem still there. But its fine riding in the city feel every bump on highway keeps bouncing.