• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Air Suspension

paparoach48

Sep 10, 2019
Truck Year
I'm thinking of trading my 2014 Ram 2500 because I hear air suspension could be problematic. I want to buy a new or used truck w/o air suspension if possible or a warranty.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Never saw a Cummins with air ride change it to springs. they do it to the eco diesel

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Actually I'm from California and Truck is a 2014 Ram 2500 6.7
My next door neighbor purchased a 2017 new and stated that there was an option for air ride on his 2500 crew cab, $4500, so he did not opt in. After his first trip with his Toy Hauler RV, to Colorado, he purchased rear assist bags with on board compressor and in cab controls, uses to level out the truck, is very satisfied. If your truck has self leveling air ride and you distrust it, I would think a replacement with springs would be cheaper than a purchase of a new truck. Unless you told the wife that is the only way to get springs, then I'm with you brother.
Seriously, most of the issues have been in colder climate with no indoor storage, allows atmospheric contamination to clear the vent tubing. My 2014 and my wife's 2015 Jeep GC have had no issues, except for a weak fuse, which I replaced with no other recurrences. We are in NE Oklahoma which should be similar to Southern CA in weather temperament.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
As long as it does not get down to freezing u should have no problems the factory uses nitrogen no rust no water and they even freeze up

Thomasjay

Sep 26, 2019
Truck Year
I live in the New Orleans area, where it hardly if ever freezes. Just recently my air suspension went out. Originally was a sensor, so compressor burned up. So pay for it to be repaired. Two months later once my truck would go in aero mode, suspension would never air up again after I slowed down. So next on the list was the module. Which part is about $700 I think. First my service rep called the engineer and he suggested trying the compressor again, luckily this was covered. Week after getting my truck back same thing. I went with regular shocks and struts now. I could of saved about $3,000 if I would of in the first place. The system is great if it works, but once you have problems i cannot stress enough to just convert to regular shocks and struts. All my work was done at a dealership, the service advisor even told me the system is more complicated than it needs to be. So basically save your time and money and if any problems switch over, think around $1,500 is the cost. Because if you get your air suspension repaired, just have an endless check list to just keep repairing.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
welcome 2 the group most r changing to shocks and spring kits fmc wants 2 much for parts and their repairs r all guess work

BigAPowers

Jun 21, 2018
Truck Year
Hey guys, I have a 2016 Ecodiesel Limited that I brought brand new. I now have 91k and have had many problems with my air suspension since it was new. I live in North Carolina by the coast, so cold is not the problem. Dealer said it overheated. It has blown the F5 40a fuse repeatedly. Anyone have similar problems?

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Hey guys, I have a 2016 Ecodiesel Limited that I brought brand new. I now have 91k and have had many problems with my air suspension since it was new. I live in North Carolina by the coast, so cold is not the problem. Dealer said it overheated. It has blown the F5 40a fuse repeatedly. Anyone have similar problems?
As in dealing with any system the technician and the technical information provided are pivotal to any successful repair. My wife's 2015 Jeep GC blew one fuse, I checked system, and have had no issues since, a year ago. My 2014 1500 has had no issues.

BigAPowers

Jun 21, 2018
Truck Year
As in dealing with any system the technician and the technical information provided are pivotal to any successful repair. My wife's 2015 Jeep GC blew one fuse, I checked system, and have had no issues since, a year ago. My 2014 1500 has had no issues.
I have replaced the fuse numerous times & have been told by the dealership that the compressor is overheating. I am bringing it back for warranty service next week

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
I have replaced the fuse numerous times & have been told by the dealership that the compressor is overheating. I am bringing it back for warranty service next week
Accurate, if the pump continues to run to correct a system position issue it will overheat and cause a heavier amp draw. The system as a whole has to be diagnosed, not myopically looking only at the pump. The pump is running at the request of the system to meet a sensed deficiency or incorrect status. This will not be a "code scan' but a 'System status scan" to see where the truck thinks it is and where it actually is. Make sense?

BigAPowers

Jun 21, 2018
Truck Year
Accurate, if the pump continues to run to correct a system position issue it will overheat and cause a heavier amp draw. The system as a whole has to be diagnosed, not myopically looking only at the pump. The pump is running at the request of the system to meet a sensed deficiency or incorrect status. This will not be a "code scan' but a 'System status scan" to see where the truck thinks it is and where it actually is. Make sense?
I agree with you 100%

Roland

Mar 29, 2016
Truck Year
I live in the great white North Central Canada, I have a 2016 Eco since new. My air suspension froze up last Feb in -30 c after a 3 HR drive on hwy. Had to sit in heated garage for 24 hrs to thaw out. It has been fine since, the only thing I have noticed if I start to drive in entry/exit mode. And I hit some uneven road it will stop working and display service air suspension. To rectify it I pull the f5 fuse for a few minutes and it clears display and starts working. I am thinking pulling the fuse and leave it in normal position for winter.

BigAPowers

Jun 21, 2018
Truck Year
Thanks I have it in the dealership now getting worked on. I will let you know qgat they find & how they correct the problem.