• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Crankshaft positioning sensor and Tone Ring Failure on Eco diesel.

8v71

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
My 2015 eco diesel had 36,000/100,000 mile 5 yr. drive train warranty from FCA, I would think yours has one too, even if your a second owner, I would sure as hell ask. (I bought my pickup new). As an example, I developed a slight rear oil seal crankshaft leak at at 99,000 miles and they fixed it no questions asked. I was out of warranty at 121,000 miles when mine quit and had to pay for it, as I recall the tone ring was about $150.00, the sensor $460.00, transmission removal and install $880.00 for a total of around 1,500.00 with tax etc. I had the dealer do it with FCA parts, so the cost was retail plus 10% if you understand my meaning. The Ring and the Sensor are forward of the flywheel and can be replaced, with the transmission and flywheel removed, in about 15 minutes, and then you go back together. I had a handheld Autel AL329 ob2 reader that gave me the code that said that it was a crankshaft sensor. (Napa can probably read it, if you don't have a newer reader of your own.) My local FCA dealer wasn't so sure it was the sensor until they took it out, they thought it was just the tone ring at first, which it was, they told me that they seldom replaced the Sensor, just the tone Ring and carried it in their parts dept., they had to order the sensor. 2 little pieces of the laminated tone ring tape came off and hit the sensor and damaged it enough, that they replaced the sensor. If you do it at a none dealer shop, Napa has the same Sensor for about $97.00, (just use a pn# cross to find it.)the tone ring, you have to buy from FCA. My tone rings outside magnetic tape looked like it was heat checked and was missing pieces of tape.

My thoughts with you losing the tone ring at 67,000 miles and mine at 121,000 (both pickups being 2015's) it sounds like its not mileage but a time/heat issue causing the failure. (if that is what your problem is?) Good luck.

Joeco

May 28, 2019
Truck Year
Good advice re the rear oil seal. Thanks again. I'll have it towed to the dealer. Even if they balk on the original power train warranty, the crankshaft sensor is listed on the extended warranty that goes along with that blasted AEM flash.

8v71

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
I didn't know that they would cover the tone ring and crank sensor after the 100,000 mile warranty. Mine has been deleted so I have never let them put a plug into the engine.

Joeco

May 28, 2019
Truck Year
If you didn't have the AEM installed, then it's the standard 5 years/100K mile. If you had the AEM installed, then the extended warranty reads like this "The warranty term is the greater of (i) 10 years from the date of initial sale or 120,000 actual miles on the vehicle odometer, whichever comes first; and (ii) 4 years or 48,000 miles from the date and mileage of installing the AEM on the vehicle, whichever comes first. " At the low rate that I'm putting on miles, the extended AEM warranty will probably get me another 4+ years of coverage on my 2015. But I'd give the warranty and the $3k back if they'd put the engine back to the way it was pre-AEM.

8v71

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
I have managed to skip most of the FCA fix issues because of necessity and mileage. I got rid of the "engine problems", left it at the stock horsepower. It just runs, great mileage. I'm at 131,000.. Good luck.

rcupps

Jan 2, 2020
Truck Year
I didn't know that they would cover the tone ring and crank sensor after the 100,000 mile warranty. Mine has been deleted so I have never let them put a plug into the engine.
They will pay for the sensor but not the tone ring. Just had it done this week $1,100.00 warranty paid for sensor install only. 119,000 miles on my 2016

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
98% sure you can add me to the failure list at just shy of 115k. First time engine has ever failed me. Just gay winter air suspension issues. Could have been a really really bad situation. I was 5 miles out on Lake of the woods, just left our fish house, well my wife did with both kids in the truck. Got a few hundred yards away, struggling through a snow drift as I'm talking her through powering through it, boom, Truck dies. That's it. Just cranks. No warning.

Thank God we had both trucks out there! And I was quick to action and remembered emergency transmission disengagement, so towed her off the Lake with the ford right at sunset. Now to figure out the way to sustain the least financial damage. Dealership lifetime Warranty doesn't look like it'll cover it.
Plus side there's no emissions in the way to remove the transmission?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
98% sure you can add me to the failure list at just shy of 115k. First time engine has ever failed me. Just gay winter air suspension issues. Could have been a really really bad situation. I was 5 miles out on Lake of the woods, just left our fish house, well my wife did with both kids in the truck. Got a few hundred yards away, struggling through a snow drift as I'm talking her through powering through it, boom, Truck dies. That's it. Just cranks. No warning.

Thank God we had both trucks out there! And I was quick to action and remembered emergency transmission disengagement, so towed her off the Lake with the ford right at sunset. Now to figure out the way to sustain the least financial damage. Dealership lifetime Warranty doesn't look like it'll cover it.

Sorry to hear.. keep us updated on what you figure out.

rcupps

Jan 2, 2020
Truck Year

If you had the update they will pay part but only if you ask. Cost me 1,100.00 for repair and 200 for the tow. It’s nuts!

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Nah no updates here. SOL. just talked to dealer 2 hours away from where it happened, pretty well confirmed it. Not really something I want to tackle myself but I'm considering it. No parts on hand. Napa and Auto value did have crank position sensors a week out at ~130, vs the 445 dealer, (available at ~280 online)

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Nothing's looking good for an expedited fix though

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
And local shops won't touch it as it's a "diesel" idk what that has to do with pulling a transmission but can't argue. I've got an independent guy on deck willing to do it for about 3 hundred

Ram19

Nov 2, 2019
Truck Year
And local shops won't touch it as it's a "diesel" idk what that has to do with pulling a transmission but can't argue. I've got an independent guy on deck willing to do it for about 3 hundred

$300.00 would be a steal for a job this big. Make sure the guy is compentent and knows what he's getting into. Be sure to change out both the reluctor/tone ring & the crank position sensor. Good luck!

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
$300.00 would be a steal for a job this big. Make sure the guy is compentent and knows what he's getting into. Be sure to change out both the reluctor/tone ring & the crank position sensor. Good luck!

That's just labor cost, but half price of dealer. There would be constraints to getting online parts timely enough it'd total about 800-1k. I almost went this route and tried the aftermarket sensor available etc but there's a perk to having it done at the dealership and it all being warrantied as well. So they're doing the job thursday along with rear main while it's accessible. ~1400 ouch but at least it will be done to spec no guessing.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
That's just labor cost, but half price of dealer. There would be constraints to getting online parts timely enough it'd total about 800-1k. I almost went this route and tried the aftermarket sensor available etc but there's a perk to having it done at the dealership and it all being warrantied as well. So they're doing the job thursday along with rear main while it's accessible. ~1400 ouch but at least it will be done to spec no guessing.
As long as they have a good tech this is probably the way to go.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Well, $1,331.70 later I have an operational Truck again. Ouch. First actual breakdown, only other problems i've ever had were air suspension winter related. Dealer confirmed tone ring magnetic pieces missing and crank position sensor code. Both were replaced along with one time use hardware and rear main seal.

Attachments

• 20200111_174404.jpg
    20200111_174404.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 21

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Glad you’re back on the road!
Yeah me too. That hurt my feelers. But 5 years and 115k, it's not a new vehicle anymore. One failure can't have me too sour I guess

Jimual98

Jan 14, 2020
Truck Year
I have a 2018 with just over 20000 miles on it and it happened to me last week. Getting on the freeway and had to punch it. Probably got up to 50mph and boom... low oil pressure indication and the truck died but luckily I was able to coast to the next exit and proceed to wait for the tow truck.
Truck taken to nearest dealership and the they first replaced to oil pressure switch. No fix. Now they are trying the crankshaft position sensor and tone ring so hopefully I get my truck back tomorrow. Fingers crossed. This seems to be a fairly common issue. I hope this is the only issue I have with the truck because I really love it. I know the 2020s have a some what new engine design so hopefully all the trouble BS is over for the new owners.