• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Crankshaft positioning sensor and Tone Ring Failure on Eco diesel.

sandman75

Jan 27, 2020
Truck Year
I have a 2014 that has the same issue as mentioned in this thread. P0336 code for crankshaft position sensor. I had it towed to a dealership and the sensor is covered under the aem extended warranty but not the tone ring. I have to pay for the tone ring and 1 hr of labor. Does anyone know if the replacement tone ring has been updated to last longer or is it the same as the original? On the 2020 Ecodiesels did they move the location of the tone ring and sensor to the front of the engine instead of behind the fly wheel?

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I have a 2014 that has the same issue as mentioned in this thread. P0336 code for crankshaft position sensor. I had it towed to a dealership and the sensor is covered under the aem extended warranty but not the tone ring. I have to pay for the tone ring and 1 hr of labor. Does anyone know if the replacement tone ring has been updated to last longer or is it the same as the original? On the 2020 Ecodiesels did they move the location of the tone ring and sensor to the front of the engine instead of behind the fly wheel?
Same replacement part, has not been subbed yet. I wouldn't mind for the 200$ Bill you had, but no aem for myself as I'm deleted so I got it in the shorts.

I'd assume that's the same composition transfered to the new generation engine

rcupps

Jan 2, 2020
Truck Year
Cost me 1,100.00 back in December but they said it took all day to fix. Let me know what your charges are.

Jimual98

Jan 14, 2020
Truck Year
I have a 2018 with just over 20000 miles on it and it happened to me last week. Getting on the freeway and had to punch it. Probably got up to 50mph and boom... low oil pressure indication and the truck died but luckily I was able to coast to the next exit and proceed to wait for the tow truck.
Truck taken to nearest dealership and the they first replaced to oil pressure switch. No fix. Now they are trying the crankshaft position sensor and tone ring so hopefully I get my truck back tomorrow. Fingers crossed. This seems to be a fairly common issue. I hope this is the only issue I have with the truck because I really love it. I know the 2020s have a some what new engine design so hopefully all the trouble BS is over for the new owners.

Now the dealership has 3 FCA engineers involved. It’s been 22 days and no fix. Received a call today and now they believe it’s the fuel system. They think the lift pump has failed and has clogged the injectors but waiting to hear if the parts are available. I asked what does this have to do with the low oil pressure light? The answer was “I’m not sure”. Wow I really don’t think they know what’s wrong but I do know my lawyer will be starting the lemon law process next week. I unfortunately picked a bad one. Will update soon assuming they figure it out.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Now the dealership has 3 FCA engineers involved. It’s been 22 days and no fix. Received a call today and now they believe it’s the fuel system. They think the lift pump has failed and has clogged the injectors but waiting to hear if the parts are available. I asked what does this have to do with the low oil pressure light? The answer was “I’m not sure”. Wow I really don’t think they know what’s wrong but I do know my lawyer will be starting the lemon law process next week. I unfortunately picked a bad one. Will update soon assuming they figure it out.
The low oil pressure light will illuminate when the engine stalls or when the ignition is in the run position without the engine running. It sounds like it might be the high pressure fuel pump (HPFP). It's not an uncommon occurrence.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year

When CP4 fail their is generally tail pipe warnings and engine performance issues. Is its Possible to just Die Yes, is it likely NO. The in tank will cause a NO start condition, its easily checked. When In tank pumps die, they will NOT destroy Downstream pumps. Their are millions of in tank pump in service they are design to run or NOT. I have never seen or heard of any in tank pump self-destruct and kill Downstream pumps both gas or Dsl.

rcupps

Jan 2, 2020
Truck Year
Had a friend loose the Crank Sensor just like I did. His was under warranty and they replaced the pump, injectors and one other thing. Just a way to milk the warranty for more money.

Dmax

Jan 29, 2020
Truck Year
Tone ring failure and egr cooler failure at 55k. been at dealer waiting on egr cooler For almost 4 weeks now. just contacted FCA to get part expedited.

Jimual98

Jan 14, 2020
Truck Year
Is this failure pretty much guaranteed at some point?

I just picked up my 2018 from the dealer for a fuel pump failure (26 days for complete repair). This was a complete overhaul of the fuel system including the tank. I made them drive it 50 miles before returning the truck to me. So far so good. I ask about the new engineered EGR valve Dodge is working on that are failing (Recall) and he told me they are only allowed to order one (original part) every 7 days. They better get it together before someone get hurt in a possible engine fire.

-STIGLITZ-

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year
I appreciate the feedback but I was referring to the tone ring/ positioning sensor.

rcupps

Jan 2, 2020
Truck Year
Is this failure pretty much guaranteed at some point?
Yes Guaranteed! My 2016 had 117000 when it went. Many have it happen sooner. The ring is not covered under the new extended warranty but the sensor is. My cost out the door was $1,100.00. i made them give me the old parts. Stupidest design ever. Magnet tape glued to a steal ring. Designed to fail to produce income for the shops.

-STIGLITZ-

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year
Yes Guaranteed! My 2016 had 117000 when it went. Many have it happen sooner. The ring is not covered under the new extended warranty but the sensor is. My cost out the door was $1,100.00. i made them give me the old parts. Stupidest design ever. Magnet tape glued to a steal ring. Designed to fail to produce income for the shops.

Well damn...I guess I’ll start budgeting...on top of the thousands I’ve sunk already lol. Eh...such is life.

Chris9626

Feb 3, 2020
Truck Year
Quick question in diagnosing/ruling out a "tone/reluctor" ring diagnosis. When cranking, if the ring is bad... i shouldnt see any RPMs while correct? Thats kinda the entire job for that ring?

Alejandrosmeat

Dec 17, 2019
As to the crankshaft positioning sensor and tone Ring, mine failed at 120,000 miles because it has been run hard and put away wet and crap happens. I have already done the delete, but FCA just recalled and fixed all the EGR, DEF and DPF and engine issues on these pickups.

Is there any aftermarket alternative to the crankshaft positioning sensor and tone ring? Seems like when these fail there is ALOT of work that will need to be done just to be replaced. For example dropping the transmission. To me that is a design flaw that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.

Lou

Jan 31, 2016
Truck Year
Mine went out last week on my 2015 at 79,000 miles,
fortunately warranty covered it and they had it out of the shop the next day.

-STIGLITZ-

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year
Is there any aftermarket alternative to the crankshaft positioning sensor and tone ring? Seems like when these fail there is ALOT of work that will need to be done just to be replaced. For example dropping the transmission. To me that is a design flaw that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.

Just the sensor. The reluctor ring is about $50 on MoparPartsOnline

Attachments

• 7B90E87C-2CF0-4344-8674-73775B47B21B.png
    7B90E87C-2CF0-4344-8674-73775B47B21B.png
    708.7 KB · Views: 18

-STIGLITZ-

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year
Mine went out last week on my 2015 at 79,000 miles,
fortunately warranty covered it and they had it out of the shop the next day.
It’s nice to hear some good news around here! Does it run any different?

8v71

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
I had to replace both the ring and the sensor, and after looking at them, I quessing it is not if it happens, but when it happens. The heat just puts cracks in the magnetic tape on the ring, and there is going to be a failure.

Lou

Jan 31, 2016
Truck Year
It’s nice to hear some good news around here! Does it run any different?

Not really, they also did the recalls unfortunately for the emission one and the restraints.
So I don't see much if anything different in driving maybe a small mpg decrease 0.4 or 0.5 mpg.
What irritates me is now I can't drive it with the door open and no belt on,
I had to go buy a couple of seat belt extenders to fool that crap.
I normally just due that if moving a couple of feet in the driveway or to get through gates and get in and out quickly to be faster then cows.