• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EcoDiesel OBD II Flashing now available.

Kafn8td

Apr 3, 2019
Truck Year
Any details on what parameters are changed? HP/trq info, transmission changes etc?

Georgek

Oct 3, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Curious as the the differences between this and the banks derringer? Im sorry to say i am in California so i’m trying to make my engine more durable and stay legal.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
You'll get more out of a custom tuned ECM over something like a harness module that Banks offers. As always, that depends on the tuner itself but usually the custom tuned ECM will be smoother and more powerful.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
You have Options with Tunes, When it comes to power Pressure in a common rail is common in most tunes and Boxes, Timing and duration after that, messing with Timing duration comes at a cost.

Firstsage

Nov 19, 2018
Truck Year
I called and spoke with them and the tune is exactly the same as what they can bench flash.
I ordered mine and it is supposed to ship to me this week.
I'll let you know how it goes.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I called and spoke with them and the tune is exactly the same as what they can bench flash.
I ordered mine and it is supposed to ship to me this week.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Great, let us know what you think!

Firstsage

Nov 19, 2018
Truck Year
Great, let us know what you think!
To give a baseline upfront, my truck is a 15, purchased used in August of last year. At the time it had about 45k miles. Currently has 57k miles. About 2 months ago I put a S&B intake on. Mostly city driving, with a long trip ~900-1000 miles round trip each month.
Coming home from the last trip I showed an avg milage of 22.2. With all the city driving the past month and putting my lead foot into it a bit, I'm show 19 right now. When I keep my foot out of it I am seeing mid 20.x around town.
I will be doing a def delete as part of this flash.
Let me know if there is any other info you would like prior to the changes.

Jon

Firstsage

Nov 19, 2018
Truck Year
So I got the tuning kit today. My initial thoughts:
1.It took a bit to ship out, almost 2 weeks. Not slow, but not fast either. Ordered on April 1, delivered on April 16th.
2. There are no instructions on how their device works, what process to follow. There is a USB dongle that I have no idea what it is for. IMG_20190417_221502.jpg
There is what looks to be a probe/sensor that plugs into the OBD to parallel (?) port cable. I have no idea what these are for.
IMG_20190417_221406.jpg
IMG_20190417_221437.jpg

I opened a ticket with their support. We'll see what happens.
I attached some pics of what came in the box.
IMG_20190417_213245.jpg

Jon

Ldzielak

Mar 22, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
Jon,
You have any luck? Having just traded in my 2005 Cummins for an EcoDiesel those items look kinda standard fair for tuning. I had a number of Smarty tuners and they all had an OBDII to DB25 connector that connected to the programer. Looks like you also have a USB A/B cable to interface the programmer to your PC along with a software key dongle (USB stick.) The only thing i'm not sure about is that blue wire, but there looks to be instructions in one of the bags. Most tuners are kinda straight forward when you plug them in to the vehicle, they tell you when to turn key on/off and walk you throught the programming process and backup process for the factory calibration.

Does suck they didn't send you a link to download the DIMSport software that will likely match up with that software key dongle.

Firstsage

Nov 19, 2018
Truck Year
Jon,
You have any luck? Having just traded in my 2005 Cummins for an EcoDiesel those items look kinda standard fair for tuning. I had a number of Smarty tuners and they all had an OBDII to DB25 connector that connected to the programer. Looks like you also have a USB A/B cable to interface the programmer to your PC along with a software key dongle (USB stick.) The only thing i'm not sure about is that blue wire, but there looks to be instructions in one of the bags. Most tuners are kinda straight forward when you plug them in to the vehicle, they tell you when to turn key on/off and walk you throught the programming process and backup process for the factory calibration.

Does suck they didn't send you a link to download the DIMSport software that will likely match up with that software key dongle.
Have not seen a response yet. The blue wire is the main thing that I am confused on.
The instructions on the other bag are for the tune selection I opted for. I am familiar with tuning bikes. Concepts are similar.
I'll keep you posted.

Jon

Firstsage

Nov 19, 2018
Truck Year
Have not seen a response yet. The blue wire is the main thing that I am confused on.
The instructions on the other bag are for the tune selection I opted for. I am familiar with tuning bikes. Concepts are similar.
I'll keep you posted.

Jon
Well I am not impressed by their support thus far.
I opened a ticket last night and have received no response. I emailed someone I had worked with on the order. No response. I called this afternoon and there was an 8 person queue. I opted to have them call me back. I called at 4 CT, an hour before they closed. No call back...
I was planning on doing the tune tonight and swap the exhaust this weekend, but that doesn't look like it will happen.

Update: Just saw on their FB page that they are closed for Good Friday.... Can't fault them for not getting back to me if they were not planning on being open... Will try on Monday.

Jon

Firstsage

Nov 19, 2018
Truck Year
I guess that's what happens when your one of the biggest tuners in the industry. Still, no excuse for poor customer service.
I run and design call centers for a living. If you are going to be closed, put in a message that you are closed. Change the automated email for the ticket system that you are closed for today and will be back on X day.... It's not rocket science.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
So a question for you Jon, Are you going to take your truck in for the ECO diesel settlement and get the "flash" from the dealer and then flash again or just let that go?

Firstsage

Nov 19, 2018
Truck Year
So a question for you Jon, Are you going to take your truck in for the ECO diesel settlement and get the "flash" from the dealer and then flash again or just let that go?
Well I just had it in at the dealer for an oil temp sensor. They said there was a safety recall for airbag deployment in a roll over which would require a software update. Not sure if they did an ecm flash as well...

I have not kept up on the settlement. What are they going to change?

Jon

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
Well I just had it in at the dealer for an oil temp sensor. They said there was a safety recall for airbag deployment in a roll over which would require a software update. Not sure if they did an ecm flash as well...

I have not kept up on the settlement. What are they going to change?

Jon
That reflash for the airbags was to the body control module - I asked GDE before I did it - no harm

The reflash likely will pour even more exhaust back through the EGR

Firstsage

Nov 19, 2018
Truck Year
That makes sense. I definitely will not be getting the settlement flash.
I'm thinking the main issue is that the USB drive was faulty. What I am gathering from looking at the platform they are using to flash the ECM we take a copy of the ECM, send them a copy and they modify it based on what is requested. Send it back and that is then uploaded to the device and then to the truck.

I'll have more on Monday once I speak with them.

Jon

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
I have my GDE ECM and a factory ECM. Once i get the settlement flash on the factory ECM I will swap it back...maybe in the parking lot. I hope you give lots of good feedback on the PPEI tune!

Last edited:

Firstsage

Nov 19, 2018
Truck Year
I have my GDE ECM and a factory ECM. Once i get the settlement flash on the factory ECM I will swap it back...maybe in the parking lot. Firstsage, you got to get the GDE or PPEI tune!
What I have is the PPEI. It's their handheld version so I don't have to ship them the ECM.
I'm heavily leaning towards getting the GDE Transmission flash too. Just want to get some miles in the PPEI so I can compare performance and MPGs.