• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EcoDiesel Oil Change Intervals

patricedufresne

Mar 21, 2017
Truck Year
I personnaly go with the oil change indicator. It is true that it would be best not to exceed 10000 km, but then again it would be even better not to exceed 5000km and so on!!! You get my point. Considering the cost they charge us for an oil change, most people change it when it needs to be changed. I guess and I assume the oil change indicator works like it is supposed to and that's why I go by that and not some rule of thumb rule. If I have to change the oil sooner than what the indicator tells me (at ridiculously short intervals), I might as well buy a Duramax, a Cummins or the small Cummins Nissan has in their new trucks.

TRCGDB

Oct 20, 2016
Truck Year
My eco had a replacement engine put in at 17000....when they installed it they put 24000 as next oil change. I am at 23700 and just checked it cold at 1 qt low. Will check again when its warmed up.
I am towing a trailer and am 400 miles from home.
I should add a qt correct?

John

Nov 13, 2015
Always check the oil when cold on level ground after sitting for a couple hours. Check it a few times in a row because the dipstick is hard to get a good read sometimes.

If it is indeed low add the quart.

Cmartin

May 13, 2017
Truck Year
Im having issues with my 2016 ram 4x4 eco....engine light, message of full filter and throttle body control, loss power took in and they changed oil at 5705,,,,,now 5000 mi later same thing happened both messages no warning , loss power and again they changed oil at my cost 185,,,then 150 miles later same messages!!!...im getting rid of this truck because its undependable, unreliable and I don't want to be stuck in the desert with my son helpless!!!..lemon/buyback process being started but first I have to write to the manufacturer for notice....sorry but I like Dodge just not the ecodiesel..now Im just waiting to see when this next stoppage is going to be..
How many miles do you have on your truck? I had my truck go into limp mode for the 1st time at 36300 miles and the dealer took care of the diagnostic, cleared the code, applied a software update, tested the battery, and sent me on my way with a $0.00 bill. I was 3k from needing an oil change and they never even mentioned it. Might be time to find a new shop imo.

Benito

Sep 27, 2016
Truck Year
Im having issues with my 2016 ram 4x4 eco....engine light, message of full filter and throttle body control, loss power took in and they changed oil at 5705,,,,,now 5000 mi later same thing happened both messages no warning , loss power and again they changed oil at my cost 185,,,then 150 miles later same messages!!!...im getting rid of this truck because its undependable, unreliable and I don't want to be stuck in the desert with my son helpless!!!..lemon/buyback process being started but first I have to write to the manufacturer for notice....sorry but I like Dodge just not the ecodiesel..now Im just waiting to see when this next stoppage is going to be..

If the first problem occurred at 5K miles then you will qualify for the lemon law after 2 more of the same problem. depends on your state.

I am in PA, Ram agreed to buy back. They will try and settle with a little cash. hold your ground and insist on buy back. I am going with cummins 6.7 a true and tried diesel.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
If the first problem occurred at 5K miles then you will qualify for the lemon law after 2 more of the same problem. depends on your state.

I am in PA, Ram agreed to buy back. They will try and settle with a little cash. hold your ground and insist on buy back. I am going with cummins 6.7 a true and tried diesel.
That comes with it's own round of dpf recalls and issues as well as higher purchase cost and possible overall cost of ownership to sacrifice the 1/2 ton ride quality which is why most people don't just purchase HD trucks.

Good luck with you Cummins to be.

Just don't lie to yourself in saying there is some perfect vehicle out there because there is not.

Benito

Sep 27, 2016
Truck Year
Good luck with you Cummins to be.
Just don't lie to yourself in saying there is some perfect vehicle out there because there is not.

I'm not delusional. The 2500 has no issues with the DPF, Cummins has that down pretty good.I expect water pump failure around 100K.
I do not need to tow 18K the fuel savings is not that much compared with the ecodiesel.
My ecodiesel went back to the shop 5 times within 1 year, replaced the fuel injectors twice (under warranty, but it costs $1800 to replace when the warranty runs out)
There is not a perfect vehicle but there is a disastrous one. I feel that RAM rushed to market with this engine, and further tuning and testing is needed.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I'm not delusional. The 2500 has no issues with the DPF, Cummins has that down pretty good.I expect water pump failure around 100K.
I do not need to tow 18K the fuel savings is not that much compared with the ecodiesel.
My ecodiesel went back to the shop 5 times within 1 year, replaced the fuel injectors twice (under warranty, but it costs $1800 to replace when the warranty runs out)
There is not a perfect vehicle but there is a disastrous one. I feel that RAM rushed to market with this engine, and further tuning and testing is needed.
I strongly encourage you to look into the dpf scr issues the Cummins ram had.

But more power to ya. Pun intended.

Cmartin

May 13, 2017
Truck Year
Just curious. What led you to buy the ecodiesel? I was drawn to it as a solution to owning a commuter car AND a truck.

Benito

Sep 27, 2016
Truck Year
Just curious. What led you to buy the ecodiesel? I was drawn to it as a solution to owning a commuter car AND a truck.

Yep, the ecodiesel hits that sweet spot of the occasional need to haul a camper, Homedepot warrior ... etc... at the same time a daily driver.

I am really disappointed and hoping that RAM works out the kinks , and invest a little more into the DPF system. I'm not completely writing off the ecodiesel, I'm just going to give it few more years.

I looked into the Titan Cummins and is also plagued with DPF issues with fuel economy worse than the RAM 2500.
So my safe choice now is set with 2500

Emil in Wy

Jun 20, 2017
Truck Year
Interesting. I just downloaded the Ram Toolbox app and it states oil change intervals every 15,000M, six months, or 500 hours, or sooner if prompted by the oil change indicator system.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Um does it think you have a Cummins? I think that's their intervals

NicNight

Aug 10, 2017
Truck Year
Wanted to upgrade to a full size truck. The wife said ok but only if it's a diesel. She's from Europe and my father in law is a diesel mechanic so her thought process made sense. So fair so good on our 1500 ED.

Capt Tim

May 7, 2017
Truck Year
Wanted to upgrade to a full size truck. The wife said ok but only if it's a diesel. She's from Europe and my father in law is a diesel mechanic so her thought process made sense. So fair so good on our 1500 ED.
Nic,
It's a European NATO military engine - tell her you'll only drive it like a middle aged James Bond. Seriously, I've got a first year '14 Lamarie Limited 64k trouble free miles under widely varying conditions. I don't dog it and keep the maintenance to standards. Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_7184.JPG
    IMG_7184.JPG
    424.4 KB · Views: 9

NicNight

Aug 10, 2017
Truck Year
Nic,
It's a European NATO military engine - tell her you'll only drive it like a middle aged James Bond. Seriously, I've got a first year '14 Lamarie Limited 64k trouble free miles under widely varying conditions. I don't dog it and keep the maintenance to standards. Good luck.

Thanks Cap. I'm all about th PM and taking care of our investment. Glad to hear you have 64k miles with no issues. Cheers!

woodbine

Jul 14, 2017
Truck Year
Had the oil changed at the dealer. The oil sticker that they put on reads next oil change in 5000 miles.