• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ecodiesel oil in coolant

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
That’s horrible! Im fully aware of how hard they are to clean buts no where near clean. They need to do more flushing then replace the reservoir completely.

Eco buba

May 10, 2017
Truck Year
Well I got my truck back today. They say it is fixed and that I shouldn't have any more problems. They replaced the coolant reservoir, oil cooler and did a couple flushes. They said they would do another oil change and coolant flush if I call. When I looked under the hood it still had oil in the reservoir. This to me seems like garbage quality service. If you can't get the oil out, then you need to replace the components. I was told this is all the warranty would cover was replacing the part to stop the leak. I think formal letters are going to be needed to fix this problem.

I would love to flush it myself if someone has a video or guide for doing it. I was thinking of just removing the reservoir and cleaning it out as oil appears. This won't fix this crap product but will give me some peace of mind. Who in the world would think this is an acceptable end product to give the customer.

I attached a photo of the old(left) and new(right) reservoir to show you what I'm dealing with.
I had the same garbage service here in Orange County ca . They did the same BS . There is no respect to customer. This is my first and last ram truck .

Eco buba

May 10, 2017
Truck Year
Hi all dose any one know what happened with lawsuits against FCA about the echo disease???

Corry Thomas

Sep 22, 2017
Truck Year
Well spent about an hour cleaning out the coolant reservoir this morning. Here are some pictures of the finished product.

I LOVE how the dealership service tech told me that there was "no way possible" to get all the oil out of the reservoir and that it would just be like that forever. I wish I worked at a place like this so I could fire people for this nonsense.

Only ran it for about ten minutes so far but will post an update in the next couple days. I ordered 2 gallons of coolant for now so I can do this a couple times. I was hoping to find a good video on flushing the whole system of oil. If anyone has the steps it would be appreciated. If not, I might get creative.

If moparecodiesel is still around, would love to know how to flush this system.
Image606059323.jpg Image-119246723.jpg

Corry Thomas

Sep 22, 2017
Truck Year
That’s horrible! Im fully aware of how hard they are to clean buts no where near clean. They need to do more flushing then replace the reservoir completely.

Yea they replaced it and supposedly flushed it three times. I call BS on that. My one cleaning got more out than three?? Give me a break, lol.

TDRAM73

Sep 16, 2017
Truck Year
Yea they replaced it and supposedly flushed it three times. I call BS on that. My one cleaning got more out than three?? Give me a break, lol.
Wow! How did you get that so clean? Maybe I need to get my reservoir into my utility sink and use hot water with the degreaser eh?

Corry Thomas

Sep 22, 2017
Truck Year
Wow! How did you get that so clean? Maybe I need to get my reservoir into my utility sink and use hot water with the degreaser eh?

Sorry for such a late response. It has been a hectic time. I added a good amount of non-chlorinated brake cleaner (just spray enough to swoosh around), plug all connections so it can't escape, shake vigorously, rinse and repeat until there is no oil. Then add dishwashing soap (Dawn preferably) then added some water and shake again. Do that 2 or 3 times until it is nice and clean. Then set a garden hose in it and flush for 5 or so minutes to remove all soap. It's a little long of a process but it worked out really well.

On a side note, I took this damn thing back to Dodge 5 times! It was cleaned each time for 2 hours+ each time. It took five times to get the oil out of the system. It was extremely difficult to remove. Only saving grace is Dodge did finally hold up end their end by doing this under warranty. It was an extremely painful and irritating process. The dealership was 2 hours away. So I spent 20 hours driving this to the dealership to fix a problem they know is happening and refusing to come up with a better solution. This will honestly be my last Dodge. I have been working on diesel engines for a good long time now and never seen something so crappy as this. I wish you the best of luck and hope no others ever have to deal with something like this. Be persistent at the dealership and email Dodge Cares to file a warranty claim if you still have one. They will fix it, just take a lot of emails and phone calls and threats to call state attorney offices.

Robert Johnson

Feb 7, 2018
Truck Year
I'm just wondering how much a oil cooler cost. Would it not be a good idea if you are going to keep the truck for the long haul to just replace the oil cooler before it goes bad? I saw one on a video and they dont look to expensive. Mine is a 2015 at 30K as to the above question on color, mine when cold is normal and when hot it has a darker color until it cools and goes back to normal. I hope that is the way it is suppose to be.

Robert Johnson

Feb 7, 2018
Truck Year
My question is what do you do if you are on a trip and 1500 miles from home. How do you set there for 3 to 4 weeks waiting for the truck to get fixed. I hate my truck and wish I had never bought it.

Corry Thomas

Sep 22, 2017
Truck Year
Yea it is hard to say whether it is worth replacing, but it is very easy to get to (located on the side of the block near oil filter). They do make an aftermarket kit that looks pretty good, but I won't put that on until I'm out of warranty. Since I'm only at 19K, that's gonna be a while.

John

Nov 13, 2015
I'm just wondering how much a oil cooler cost. Would it not be a good idea if you are going to keep the truck for the long haul to just replace the oil cooler before it goes bad? I saw one on a video and they dont look to expensive. Mine is a 2015 at 30K as to the above question on color, mine when cold is normal and when hot it has a darker color until it cools and goes back to normal. I hope that is the way it is suppose to be.
Yep the color will change with temperature.

coppencd

Jul 10, 2017
Truck Year
Hi there, I'm experiencing the same problem with my 2015, but unfortunately not getting the same "Love" from FCA or the dealership. Any tips from your experience?

I'd really appreciate, I'm at my wits end with them!

Hello all,

I'd just like to give everyone an update on my saga that started last summer with oil in my antifreeze at 58K miles. Initially I went to the local dealer where my truck was bought, but who has a terrible service dept. After a week of back and forth, they came back with a $2200 bill for oil cooler, radiator, and thermostat replacement and flush of the system not covered under drive train warranty. After 7 weeks of back and forth with Chrysler Customer Service, they came back with no assistance. Disillusioned, after 2 and a half months of fighting with the dealer and Chrysler, I let the truck sit all winter. As Spring came around I decided to start up on things again. I took it over to a local Diesel shop, who came back with the same diagnosis, but now with and over $3k bill.....UGH!

So, I decided to go the dealer route again and see who else was in my area and might assist. I researched the Dodge dealers in my area and came upon one who had 4.5 stars on a review site with over 300 reviews, so I thought I'd give them a try ...I stopped in reiterated my saga to a service manager. They, of course wanted to see the truck before they could really comment, so I decided to give them a shot.

I dropped the truck off after hours, and had a call at 8 the next morning, with the message that the truck needed a new engine and it would be covered under drive train. They scheduled to change out motor and entire cooling system, including the heater core.

2 and a half weeks later ( engine took a little longer to deliver than anticipated) and I picked up my 2015 with a NEW diesel in it this morning!!! My out of pocket was a new fuel and air filter $97.44(no charge for labor on these).

Needless to say, it really paid off to continue to pursue it, but man, I really wish Chrysler was easier to deal with.

TDRAM73

Sep 16, 2017
Truck Year
Sorry for such a late response. It has been a hectic time. I added a good amount of non-chlorinated brake cleaner (just spray enough to swoosh around), plug all connections so it can't escape, shake vigorously, rinse and repeat until there is no oil. Then add dishwashing soap (Dawn preferably) then added some water and shake again. Do that 2 or 3 times until it is nice and clean. Then set a garden hose in it and flush for 5 or so minutes to remove all soap. It's a little long of a process but it worked out really well.

On a side note, I took this damn thing back to Dodge 5 times! It was cleaned each time for 2 hours+ each time. It took five times to get the oil out of the system. It was extremely difficult to remove. Only saving grace is Dodge did finally hold up end their end by doing this under warranty. It was an extremely painful and irritating process. The dealership was 2 hours away. So I spent 20 hours driving this to the dealership to fix a problem they know is happening and refusing to come up with a better solution. This will honestly be my last Dodge. I have been working on diesel engines for a good long time now and never seen something so crappy as this. I wish you the best of luck and hope no others ever have to deal with something like this. Be persistent at the dealership and email Dodge Cares to file a warranty claim if you still have one. They will fix it, just take a lot of emails and phone calls and threats to call state attorney offices.

Corry thanks so much for the cleaning tips. I have had my truck into the dealer recently to try and get the CEL light off which originally came on back in September and led me right to the oil cooler. So replaced it and finally replaced 3-way coolant valve also which is what code was originally. The mechanic at the dealer was so concerned with the residual oil I had in the reservoir he would not move past to diagnose the CEL. So followed your tips and yes my tank looks great. It is more yellowed than yours as my truck is a 2014 and has 155k on it. So I am way past warranty but not really concerned since I only paid 24k for the truck a year ago. I really like this truck, this oil cooler issue is my only major beef with it. Hopefully if I can get the CEL issue resolved now I will have no more problems. I live in the northwest and not having the remote start working this winter due to CEL being lit up kind of sucked.

TDRAM73

Sep 16, 2017
Truck Year
Mine was about $130. Got it from Cevans on this forum. A bargain compared to the plastic 3-way coolant valve that was $180

Daniel McCracken

May 8, 2018
Truck Year
I have recently joined this prestigious club of failed oil coolers. I am at 42k miles and have been told that it will not fall under the power-train warranty. I will call Chrysler and see what I can work out. I am hopeful based on what other have posted here, but pessimistic because its Chrysler... Any suggestions as to how I can get them to cover it would be greatly appreciated.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I have recently joined this prestigious club of failed oil coolers. I am at 42k miles and have been told that it will not fall under the power-train warranty. I will call Chrysler and see what I can work out. I am hopeful based on what other have posted here, but pessimistic because its Chrysler... Any suggestions as to how I can get them to cover it would be greatly appreciated.
I don't understand how that's not under the powertrain warranty, but that's just my personal opinion.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year

Just keep driving, the fail Exchanger will destroy the Entire engine, if it hasn't already , Then they will replace the Engine ALONG with the Exchanger.

Darren Gray

Oct 6, 2017
Truck Year
I am going to change the whole piece. "Oil Cooler and filter assembly"

https://www.idparts.com/ecodiesel-oil-cooler-68229403aa-p-6338.html

For $129 bucks is worth it to me ...even comes with an oil filter so I will change it all at once. Coolant a little dark, had the fluid changed at the dealership about 6mo ago but looking suspect again.

For this little bit of money and time I will do myself this weekend. BTW I have 77K miles mostly hwy towing travel trailer. Only other problem has been a crankshaft sensor went out at 72K, all covered by warranty.

I really do love my truck and want it to last. Am going to do complete delete this year and clean up the valley pan then add the Banks stuff. Still reading up on what tuner would be best for both EGR and DPF deletes. Looking for longevity and I do not think anyone will get it with that EGR pumping crap into the engine constantly.

Will let you know how it goes.

John

Nov 13, 2015
I am going to change the whole piece. "Oil Cooler and filter assembly"

https://www.idparts.com/ecodiesel-oil-cooler-68229403aa-p-6338.html

For $129 bucks is worth it to me ...even comes with an oil filter so I will change it all at once. Coolant a little dark, had the fluid changed at the dealership about 6mo ago but looking suspect again.

For this little bit of money and time I will do myself this weekend. BTW I have 77K miles mostly hwy towing travel trailer. Only other problem has been a crankshaft sensor went out at 72K, all covered by warranty.

I really do love my truck and want it to last. Am going to do complete delete this year and clean up the valley pan then add the Banks stuff. Still reading up on what tuner would be best for both EGR and DPF deletes. Looking for longevity and I do not think anyone will get it with that EGR pumping crap into the engine constantly.

Will let you know how it goes.
Or here: https://www.moparamerica.com/oem-parts/mopar-oil-filter-housing-68229403aa