• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ecodiesel oil in coolant

Eco buba

May 10, 2017
Truck Year
I just returned fro the dealership. They told me that they have to prove to FCA that I need new motor they are taking pics and will send it to FCA and when approved they will order new motor . It will take an average 2 month to get my truck back . Meanwhile they gave me jeep compass loaner .
Thank you for all your support.

William Hedgepeth

Aug 31, 2016
Truck Year
My dealership may have taken those steps but they didn't keep me up on everything they had to do. I just told them that the fix that seems to final rid the systems of oil was to replace the engine. The service manager agreed did whatever was need to make it happen to get FCA agree to installing a new motor. The only other issue that I've had was my power steering pump start leaking. I assumed it was a casualty of the the new motor installation. It was replaced without any hassle. They gave me a 2016 Hemi pickup as a loaner, the whole process took about 7 weeks.
That being said having to go through this whole process is bull it seems as if there acting like this is the first time this problems has occurred and it's not. It's happened to many other EcoDiesel owners so this isn't something that's new, I think they're simply trying keep you in the dark or so they think. I originally thought it was over kill having to replace the engine but then there's no telling the amount of damage that's done to all the seals in the cooling system that aren't formulated to tolerate petroleum products. So I'm glad that they did replaced it.

Last edited:

Eco buba

May 10, 2017
Truck Year
I agree with you sir . They treating the customers like mushrooms feed them sh¥¥ and keep us in the dark . But the service writer told me they did a couple already and the turn around time 2 month , this gunna rowing my our summer. I just wanna know how many miles you have on the new engine and have they replaced your cooling system . Also any issues beside the power steering. ? Thank you again for all the support and info

William Hedgepeth

Aug 31, 2016
Truck Year
I have approximately 15,000 miles on the new engine and haven't had any other issues. Your second question i'm not totally sure the dealership under warranty replaced all the necessary cooling system parts the they couldn't get free from oil residue and the the others were just flushed and clear of any residue. So far I haven't had any issue or engine codes thrown. One thing I did do though when I purchased the truck was to get a Chrysler back Extended warranty so anything that does go wrong up a 100,000 miles is on them alI I do is have pay 100.00 $ deductible per occurrence .

Eco buba

May 10, 2017
Truck Year
I have approximately 15,000 miles on the new engine and haven't had any other issues. Your second question i'm not totally sure the dealership under warranty replaced all the necessary cooling system parts the they couldn't get free from oil residue and the the others were just flushed and clear of any residue. So far I haven't had any issue or engine codes thrown. One thing I did do though when I purchased the truck was to get a Chrysler back Extended warranty so anything that does go wrong up a 100,000 miles is on them alI I do is have pay 100.00 $ deductible per occurrence .
Thank you sir I really appreciate all the info

Herkimer

Jul 7, 2017
Truck Year
'15 w/ 46K. Got the black coolant tank and took it in. Got the CEL on the way to the dealer. Code was for the 3-way coolant valve. Dealer said the oil cooler (and everything ruined by it) would not be covered by powertrain warranty. Minimum of $1600 for flush, 3-way valve and cooler, max of $6000+ for every cooling system part other than the engine. I politely mentioned the apparent high incidence of this problem and asked for a goodwill repair. 24 hrs later he got back in touch and said FCA would do it all, including an engine. On a follow up call, he mentioned that the regional tech manager authorized it, saying that they had never been able to successfully flush an engine.

Side question - does anybody know if they've changed/fixed the design of the cooler? The service manager said the part number has been changed twice.

Cliffy

Aug 16, 2015
Truck Year
Usually a part number change indicates some sort of update/design/revision. Now, if it is helping, that is the better question.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
'15 w/ 46K. Got the black coolant tank and took it in. Got the CEL on the way to the dealer. Code was for the 3-way coolant valve. Dealer said the oil cooler (and everything ruined by it) would not be covered by powertrain warranty. Minimum of $1600 for flush, 3-way valve and cooler, max of $6000+ for every cooling system part other than the engine. I politely mentioned the apparent high incidence of this problem and asked for a goodwill repair. 24 hrs later he got back in touch and said FCA would do it all, including an engine. On a follow up call, he mentioned that the regional tech manager authorized it, saying that they had never been able to successfully flush an engine.

Side question - does anybody know if they've changed/fixed the design of the cooler? The service manager said the part number has been changed twice.

Welcome Herkimer.. glad to see FCA took care of you.

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year

So why was the warranty denied initially?

Herkimer

Jul 7, 2017
Truck Year
Out of comprehensive warranty (40K) and not specifically covered by by powertrain warranty.

Doug watts

Jul 12, 2017
Truck Year
Anyone else had this problem? I saw this picture on facebook today.

View attachment 53
If oil can get into antifreeze. Antifreeze can get into oil and demolish every bearing and bushing in the engine. After shut down water pressure continues till total cool down and FCA wonders why there rod bearings and crankshaft is failing this is diesel 101 big Cummins engines should have Electrolux in liners causing antifreeze in oil and engine failure. When is fca going to wake up and recall that oil cooler and put a air to oil cooler on to eliminate this problem for ever

coppencd

Jul 10, 2017
Truck Year
Hi there, I'm experiencing the same problem with my 2015, but unfortunately not getting the same "Love" from FCA or the dealership. Any tips from your experience?

I'd really appreciate, I'm at my wits end with them!

Herkimer

Jul 7, 2017
Truck Year
Did you ask the service manager manager to contact FCA for a "goodwill" warranty request?
Is this the dealer you where you bought it? I'd start there, but nothing is stopping you from talking to other dealerships.
What's your mileage?

Michel Lavoie

Aug 23, 2016
Truck Year
So why was the warranty denied initially?
I will it was the dealership trying to deny you. When it happened to me last year, my dealership did what I expected from a good dealership. They contacted FCA and the next day I was informed everything will be taking care off under warranty. I had a loaner for 5 weeks. so far with nearly 12000 km on the new engine no problem.

Corry Thomas

Sep 22, 2017
Truck Year
Got in my truck this morning at 7 am and got the code P04DB. Called the dealership local to let them know I was having a power train issue @ 12,800 miles and needed service. They told me it was fine to drive and they could see me on 2nd October. Well didn't like the sound of that and decided to check engine levels. That's when I found the oil in coolant reservoir. Couldn't believe what I was seeing. Called back and told them I'm not driving it.

This is when the fun began. Dealer local tells me they can't look at it for another week and that they can't give me a rental. WTF. Now I'm playing the ten phone calls for hours of my time and having it towed to a dealership 2 hours away to have it looked at. The customer service has been terrible here.

Attachments

• IMG_0332.JPG
    IMG_0332.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 24

Corry Thomas

Sep 22, 2017
Truck Year
Well, it's Tuesday and no good news. Talked to the dealership today and they said they weren't sure what was wrong. The code P04DB came back as a crankcase breather or something and said they don't know how this is related to the oil in the coolant, or how it is a warranty issue??? Any help would be appreciated. Never owned a vehicle that failed at 12K miles, nor had to deal with standard warranties.

They did provide a rental vehicle yesterday from the local Enterprise, but today said it might not be covered if they can't make it a warranty issue. I'm still really confused how oil in my coolant system is not a warranty issue?? And why does an engine have to have a code to be a warranty issue???

I am a diesel mechanic in the military and deal with failing parts all the time (replaced multiple engines myself) and many times had no warning that a failure was occurring. I am documenting everything in case this goes further, but wanted to reach out to the forum here for any good contacts. I will give them a couple more days to try and diagnose since I'm sure the shop is busy.

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
The P04DB code means your truck has excessive crankcase pressure. One thing that can and well cause it is water in the oil. When the engine warms up the water turns to steam and causes excess pressure. A simple hot plate test would confirm if your oil has water in it.

Corry Thomas

Sep 22, 2017
Truck Year
The P04DB code means your truck has excessive crankcase pressure. One thing that can and well cause it is water in the oil. When the engine warms up the water turns to steam and causes excess pressure. A simple hot plate test would confirm if your oil has water in it.

Thanks Brokedownbutgood, I will bring that up tomorrow with the service manager and run it by him. Hopefully, they have already figured that out before I call.

Corry Thomas

Sep 22, 2017
Truck Year
Well I got my truck back today. They say it is fixed and that I shouldn't have any more problems. They replaced the coolant reservoir, oil cooler and did a couple flushes. They said they would do another oil change and coolant flush if I call. When I looked under the hood it still had oil in the reservoir. This to me seems like garbage quality service. If you can't get the oil out, then you need to replace the components. I was told this is all the warranty would cover was replacing the part to stop the leak. I think formal letters are going to be needed to fix this problem.

I would love to flush it myself if someone has a video or guide for doing it. I was thinking of just removing the reservoir and cleaning it out as oil appears. This won't fix this crap product but will give me some peace of mind. Who in the world would think this is an acceptable end product to give the customer.

I attached a photo of the old(left) and new(right) reservoir to show you what I'm dealing with.

Attachments

• Coolant_Reservoir_WTF.jpg
    Coolant_Reservoir_WTF.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 21

Scottd

Apr 23, 2017
Truck Year
That’s BS. Looks like the same reservoir to me. I wouldn’t have taken delivery of it personally.

Bring that bad boy to another dealer, and try again.