• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ecodiesel oil in coolant

RoninRam

Feb 20, 2016
Truck Year
I've posted on the other thread "Oil in coolant." about finding this problem with my 2105 EcoDiesel Ram 1500. One thing that comes to mind about folks having issues with oil still leeching out of the system after cooler and hose replacements is that there is another "radiator" in the system, namely the heater core. I suspect that this will need to be addressed too.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I've posted some info on other threads, about diesel "making oil", diesel wash, side effect of many failures of REGEN, idling too long. leaking fuel into oil, like leaking injectors, etc. Contaminants that will turn to acid in your oil.

Don't think, I am missing too many REGENs, or shutting off in the middle of REGEN, sure don't use much DEF. I'm hoping the additives Shell V-Power provides protection against rust, acid in the oil. I haven't allowed the engine to get to hot, when towing. Sure using the Edge to monitor and set alerts for all the critical stuff. Hope this proves beneficial, until FCA does something.

Timthefarrier

Mar 20, 2016
Truck Year
image.jpg I have 15000 miles but no problems. I'm happy with my ecodiesel so far!![/QUOTE]

I am a farrier and I had high hopes when I bought this truck for my work vehicle. I have 50,151 miles on my 2014 tradesman model ecodiesel. It's has been a terrible truck and Chrysler customer service has been even worse. At around 20,000 miles I think. I began seeing oil in the coolant and took the truck to the dealer. Since that time the truck has been at the dealer 8 or 9 times for the same issue and yet to be resolved. In the first year I owned the truck it spent approximently 2 months down sitting at the dealer being fixed, and at least another 2 weeks time since the Nov 2015 anniversary. The dealer has put a new transmission cooler, new oil cooler, all new cooling hoses, been flushed around half a dozen or more times, and there is still oil sludge rapidly building up in the cooling resorvior. It's at the point now where it is almost a weekly appointment for me to take it in and have it flushed and checked for where the oil is coming from. The answer from the dealer and the engineers at Chrysler has been, it is residual oil left in the system from the oil cooler failure. After 6 flushes+ In addition the amount of oil is building up faster and faster between times I take it in??? I don't think so. If that weren't bad enough I'm now sitting on the side of the road with my abs light and traction control light on, smoke pouring out of the rear passenger wheel well, and gear oil all over the rotor breaks inside the wheel and all under the truck and there was a loud grinding sound and shaking. I'm guessing a rear axle seal and bearing failure. This doesn't even touch on the business this truck has cost me; the time of mine it's wasted; and the fact that Chrysler service has been the worst I have ever dealt with. I would never recommend this truck or any Chrysler product after this experience. It's a total lemon. Very dissatisfied. Attached is photo taken just now 3/20/2016 4:18pm. It was at the dealer on 3/07/2016 checked for leakage and flushed and return to service with "no leak good to drive". Good luck to everyone with low mileage. Hope this isn't a glimps into your future

Hiline

Jan 20, 2016
Truck Year
Hello,

You need to request a replacement long block motor and a whole new cooling system again. That is the only way to prevent the oil from showing up after a failure.

Dealer tried flushing ten times.... Even tried with dish detergent to break down the oil..... Didn't work.

Only remedy is motor replacement.

Remind the dealer (if Chrysler approves) that the glow plugs will have to be replaced and the motor mounts are one time use.... This slowed down my motor replacement an additional 1.5 weeks.

View attachment 611 I have 15000 miles but no problems. I'm happy with my ecodiesel so far!!

I am a farrier and I had high hopes when I bought this truck for my work vehicle. I have 50,151 miles on my 2014 tradesman model ecodiesel. It's has been a terrible truck and Chrysler customer service has been even worse. At around 20,000 miles I think. I began seeing oil in the coolant and took the truck to the dealer. Since that time the truck has been at the dealer 8 or 9 times for the same issue and yet to be resolved. In the first year I owned the truck it spent approximently 2 months down sitting at the dealer being fixed, and at least another 2 weeks time since the Nov 2015 anniversary. The dealer has put a new transmission cooler, new oil cooler, all new cooling hoses, been flushed around half a dozen or more times, and there is still oil sludge rapidly building up in the cooling resorvior. It's at the point now where it is almost a weekly appointment for me to take it in and have it flushed and checked for where the oil is coming from. The answer from the dealer and the engineers at Chrysler has been, it is residual oil left in the system from the oil cooler failure. After 6 flushes+ In addition the amount of oil is building up faster and faster between times I take it in??? I don't think so. If that weren't bad enough I'm now sitting on the side of the road with my abs light and traction control light on, smoke pouring out of the rear passenger wheel well, and gear oil all over the rotor breaks inside the wheel and all under the truck and there was a loud grinding sound and shaking. I'm guessing a rear axle seal and bearing failure. This doesn't even touch on the business this truck has cost me; the time of mine it's wasted; and the fact that Chrysler service has been the worst I have ever dealt with. I would never recommend this truck or any Chrysler product after this experience. It's a total lemon. Very dissatisfied. Attached is photo taken just now 3/20/2016 4:18pm. It was at the dealer on 3/07/2016 checked for leakage and flushed and return to service with "no leak good to drive". Good luck to everyone with low mileage. Hope this isn't a glimps into your future[/QUOTE]
You

Michel Lavoie

Aug 23, 2016
Truck Year
Anyone else had this problem? I saw this picture on facebook today.

View attachment 53
Yes, I'm a new member of the Ram Ecodiesel oil cooler failure.
It failed just short of 47000 km.
The expansion tank had oil in it that was looking like jelly.
FCA Canada will be changing the engine and all related contaminated parts under warranty.
The dealership was great and they loaned me a Hemi powered Ram until the new engine and parts are received and installed in my truck.
I just hope RAM have come up with an upgraded oil cooler.
Did any of you guys have the H&S after market oil cooler kit for the 3,0 diesel engine installed in your truck?
How does it perform and is it reliable?
I'm thinking about getting one and installing it after I received my repaired truck.

Last edited:

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Yes, I'm a new member of the Ram Ecodiesel oil cooler failure.
It failed just short of 47000 km.
The expansion tank had oil in it that was looking like jelly.
FCA Canada will be changing the engine and all related contaminated parts under warranty.
The dealership was great and they loaned me a Hemi powered Ram until the new engine and parts are received and installed in my truck.
I just hope RAM have come up with an upgraded oil cooler.
Did any of you guys have the H&S after market oil cooler kit for the 3,0 diesel engine installed in your truck?
How does it perform and is it reliable?
I'm thinking about getting one and installing it after I received my repaired truck.

Welcome Michel.. Keep us updated on the progress. Some have had better luck than others with FCA's warranty process.

I think I remember someone here running that kit.. I will have to search around and see.

Nanooser

Aug 18, 2015
Truck Year
Mine failed at 45,000 kms (2014 ) and am now nearing 90,000kms with no further issues......knock on wood. Replaced the cooler and 5 x flush with new reservoir. 70, 000 more km on extended warranty, if it goes again, please let it be before it expires!

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
My oil cooler failed at 13xxx mikes and fca denied my warranty claim so I fixed it myself. The cooling systems in our trucks are a nightmare and most tech's just aren't willing to spend the time to do it correctly (aka not how fca recommends). They don't actually flush the system, they use a coolant exchanger. On mine I finely said enough and just removed the egr cooler competly about 2K later and repacled the coolant reservoir. It's been perfect ever since.

My though is that the oil getting into the egr cooler is cooking and building up inside it. But that's just my theory I don't have any solid proof of it.

JackB

Sep 17, 2016
Just purchased ED.... this issue was not welcoming to see. I'm just waiting to take delivery.

Would doing a complete relocation of oil filter cooling system do the trick? I see this system available out of salt lake. http://dandjdiesel.com/

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
Just purchased ED.... this issue was not welcoming to see. I'm just waiting to take delivery.

Would doing a complete relocation of oil filter cooling system do the trick? I see this system available out of salt lake. http://dandjdiesel.com/

Yes the oil cooler kit from D&J we'll fix the issue. I've been running there hd kit for about 10k it's a great kit.

JackB

Sep 17, 2016
Yes the oil cooler kit from D&J we'll fix the issue. I've been running there hd kit for about 10k it's a great kit.

Thanks,. I will see if this will void the warranty. I can't imagine it will. But I also can't imagine exposing a very expensive truck to this issue knowing the it can be prevented and likely reduce oil engine temps and likely transmission temps as well.

JackB

Sep 17, 2016
Also has anyone had any timing cam issues? I understand that this may be an issue well.

jeepGrandCherokee

Nov 14, 2016
Truck Year
yes sir, this is from a failing oil cooler, there are some issues with some trucks, it is common.
I am actually going to make a video about how to clean out the cooling system after the new oil cooler is installed.
There are 4 owners ive been following for 1 year and not one of them have been successful at the dealers to get all the oil removed. One owner actually had an engine replaced to see if that would get all the oil out of the cooling system.

Same problem with my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Dealer is waiting for the new engine but it is on back order. 3 week and counting

W.D.H.

Nov 9, 2016
Truck Year
After reading about oil in the coolant I decided to go and check mine. Keep in mind my truck was bought 6 days ago, well I popped the hood and lo and behold it's black! I immediately had a spike in the blood pressure. I wobbled inside called the dealer and they told me to bring it in. I have to be honest they were really helpful and sympathetic. I told the salesman about the extensive reading I've done on the ED and demonstrated that I know of the problems. They kept my truck and gave me a loaner truck of nearly equal value. It's a brand new engine! returning to the dealer my pressure and temps were well within the norm I just hope the engine didn't sustain damage. I'm to travel east this weekend so it's the loaner that's gonna get the 2000 miles. Saturday I'm to call and again on Monday. They said their going to drain the system flush and pressure test. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
After reading about oil in the coolant I decided to go and check mine. Keep in mind my truck was bought 6 days ago, well I popped the hood and lo and behold it's black! I immediately had a spike in the blood pressure. I wobbled inside called the dealer and they told me to bring it in. I have to be honest they were really helpful and sympathetic. I told the salesman about the extensive reading I've done on the ED and demonstrated that I know of the problems. They kept my truck and gave me a loaner truck of nearly equal value. It's a brand new engine! returning to the dealer my pressure and temps were well within the norm I just hope the engine didn't sustain damage. I'm to travel east this weekend so it's the loaner that's gonna get the 2000 miles. Saturday I'm to call and again on Monday. They said their going to drain the system flush and pressure test. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Is your truck a brand new 2016? 6 days? How many miles are on it? Just curious.

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
2015 1/2 Brand new engine with less than 1000 miles on it. 24K on the truck body.

Why does your truck have a brand new engine? Im guessing you bought it used. It could just be residual left over from the engine swap. Hopefully they get it sorted out fast.

W.D.H.

Nov 9, 2016
Truck Year
Why does your truck have a brand new engine? Im guessing you bought it used. It could just be residual left over from the engine swap. Hopefully they get it sorted out fast.
Yea used. 2015 1/2 Limited all dressed out. They declared that it had a brand new engine. If it had been residual oil wouldn't it have been noticed and addressed prior to clearing it for sale?