• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ecodiesel oil in coolant

Ramjo

Jul 28, 2015
Truck Year
Sad to say, but looks like I've joined the club. 2014 Bighorn ecodiesel with 45000kms when engine light came on. After saying it was likely a DEF issue they noticed oil in coolant. In a rental and not thrilled at what I'm reading. Planning a 2300km trip to Winnipeg to haul a boat to the coast. Better now than in Moose Jaw I suppose.
this is now happened to me with less than 14000 miles. See my results in the general discussion site under accidental gas in Ecodiesel tank. after I started that site I found oil about 3 weeks later in the coolant. A full write-up is on that site

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
View attachment 287
Yesterday, Thursday, they have all parts in finally. Took 7 days. With Labor day coming they won't start it til Tuesday.

Unfortunate you can't have the truck you paid for on a holiday weekend. :(

Ramjo

Jul 28, 2015
Truck Year
see my follow up on my Eco diesel oil in the coolant. go to general discussion and then accidental gas in my Ecodiesel for a follow up as I got my truck back yesterday.

Hiline

Jan 20, 2016
Truck Year
Anyone else had this problem? I saw this picture on facebook today.

View attachment 53

I just had the same problem occur. Stock 2015 EcoDiesel with only 14,600 miles. I am very easy in the truck. I drive too much to beat my vehicles up (averaging 2500+ miles per month).

Found milky oil on my driveway.

Everything points to oil cooler failure, but Ram (corporate) doesn't want to admit that yet. Dealer knows what's going on but I have to admit Chrysler sucks balls.....

I will prob be without my truck for at least one month and I have to argue about them picking up my truck payment and adding a longer extended service plan.

Nanooser

Aug 18, 2015
Truck Year
Hey folks,
At 60,000kms on my 2014 and zero issues since the oil cooler swap at 45,000km. Anyone heard of a reoccurrence as I read that its the same part, no fix.

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
Yes I am aware of a couple in my area that failed again within about 10k miles.

Hiline

Jan 20, 2016
Truck Year
Hey folks,
At 60,000kms on my 2014 and zero issues since the oil cooler swap at 45,000km. Anyone heard of a reoccurrence as I read that its the same part, no fix.

In the other forums there are folks that have had second failures.

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
I am helping with a permanent fix, but if someone with a repetetive oil cooler failure wants to help me, i will help them out, but they have to be out of factory warranty. for now.

Hiline

Jan 20, 2016
Truck Year
So folks....

My truck has now been there for 2.5 weeks. I was on my way to get it back as they said it was ready.... Then they said they double checked the reservoir and it's still showing oil.

They have flushed the system 5 times and still can't get the oil out.

I advised them this is probably why Ram has resorted to replacing T the motor on other failures (read this in other forums).

Ram corporate is completely unacceptable.

I advised them every day it's out of commission, they should be making my payment.

AND

I expect them to find me a longer service warranty.... This truck has too many major issues this early and I will hit 100k miles in three years or less. I have a problem having to be prepared for a 10-15k service bill when the truck fails right after 100k miles.

Nanooser

Aug 18, 2015
Truck Year
Hey Hiline, felt your pain! Multi flushes later they got the oil residue out of mine. We waited about 5000kms then flushed again when the replacement reservoir arrived. All good so far, about 20,000kms since the event, hang in there!

Hiline

Jan 20, 2016
Truck Year
Hey Hiline, felt your pain! Multi flushes later they got the oil residue out of mine. We waited about 5000kms then flushed again when the replacement reservoir arrived. All good so far, about 20,000kms since the event, hang in there!

Interesting....

They've done five flushes and couldn't get the oil residue to stop coming into the coolant tank.... The tank is now stained so they are ordering a new one.

I advised Corporate that if there was enough to stain the tank, I'm concerned about the new radiator, thermostat, and seals...

We shouldn't be having these problems and I'm watching several forums and it seems to be happening often with the late 2015 builds.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Mine is Jan 2015 build, hope that was good month and the worker's at the plant were happy then. So far, all is okay, 19,000 KM. First thing I did, took pictures, so I have a reference to compare.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
moparecodiesel

It would be nice to know, do you have any theories as to the cause of the failures or possible solution. Is it design flaw, inadequate, poor soldering/welding joints, or chemical reaction/corrosion.????

Are they signs, that one can look for, before it happens. Like taking a look at the oil cooler.

Hiline

Jan 20, 2016
Truck Year
Hi Seiko,

Unfortunately I don't know what to watch for. I have heard its possible the coolant deteriorated the solder.... Which to me is still a design and manufacturing flaw.

Either way....

It's been over 36 days without my truck. They just agreed to replacing the whole motor, plus replacing the cooling system (second time).

I didn't know mine failed until I saw milky oil all over my driveway.... The oil had pushed into the cooling system and overfilled the cooling reservoir.

I drive 100-200 miles per day so I'm sure mine failed and showed the signs same day.

moparecodiesel

It would be nice to know, do you have any theories as to the cause of the failures or possible solution. Is it design flaw, inadequate, poor soldering/welding joints, or chemical reaction/corrosion.????

Are they signs, that one can look for, before it happens. Like taking a look at the oil cooler.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Okay, thanks for the update.

I read that they switch coolant types and advises user not to use any other type, just like the oil. Some have flush out their coolant tanks (some are strong believers in changing diapers often) and used regular radiator stuff and ran into this problem.