• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ecodiesel oil in coolant

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
The cooling system on our trucks is very complex. After my oil cooler failed it took weeks to get it all cleaned out. The only way to get it perfect on the first shot is to replace everything oil cooler, engine, radiator, egr cooler, heater core, three way valve, transmission heater, all hoses, etc.....

W.D.H.

Nov 9, 2016
Truck Year
The cooling system on our trucks is very complex. After my oil cooler failed it took weeks to get it all cleaned out. The only way to get it perfect on the first shot is to replace everything oil cooler, engine, radiator, egr cooler, heater core, three way valve, transmission heater, all hoses, etc.....
I would assume having a warranty the dealership would be reluctant but if I stay on them all that would be covered right.

W.D.H.

Nov 9, 2016
Truck Year
Why does your truck have a brand new engine? Im guessing you bought it used. It could just be residual left over from the engine swap. Hopefully they get it sorted out fast.
I'm hoping that's it, fingers crossed. The dealership was very helpful thus far.

Michel Lavoie

Aug 23, 2016
Truck Year
IMG_1231.jpg
Yes, I'm a new member of the Ram Ecodiesel oil cooler failure.
It failed just short of 47000 km.
The expansion tank had oil in it that was looking like jelly.
FCA Canada will be changing the engine and all related contaminated parts under warranty.
The dealership was great and they loaned me a Hemi powered Ram until the new engine and parts are received and installed in my truck.
I just hope RAM have come up with an upgraded oil cooler.
Did any of you guys have the H&S after market oil cooler kit for the 3,0 diesel engine installed in your truck?
How does it perform and is it reliable?
I'm thinking about getting one and installing it after I received my repaired truck.

Sorry for the long period before updating my original post.
I finally got my truck back on September 20-2016.
I got about 1500 km on it and it has been running well since then.
I have been away for work for 5 weeks so I didn't used it too much since the major repairs.
I just hope I don't have anymore problem with the new oil cooler.
My truck was a November 2014 production.
The new engine and parts are 2017.
Only the cab heater wasn't replaced. It was thoroughly flushed.
I have been checking regularly the expansion tank and haven't seen any trace of oil.
FCA and my dealership have been very good to me.
They answered the call the way I expect them to do, everything was covered under warranty.
Also the new engine is using 5W40 oil instead of 5W30.
See the picture of the old engine with the faulty oil cooler.

Last edited:

doodlebugger jim

Jan 1, 2017
Truck Year
when my oil cooler failed i had oil on the sides of the coolant tank and the reservoir was empty. does that mean the coolant is in the engine going through the main bearings etc?

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
when my oil cooler failed i had oil on the sides of the coolant tank and the reservoir was empty. does that mean the coolant is in the engine going through the main bearings etc?

The first thing you should do when an oil cooler fails is to pull an oil sample and either test it your self with a hot plate set to 200 degrees Celsius. Or send the sample off for testing, personally I do both. If there is any free water in your oil it can damage bearings, turbo, etc.

Michel Lavoie

Aug 23, 2016
Truck Year
View attachment 1082

Sorry for the long period before updating my original post.
I finally got my truck back on September 20-2016.
I got about 1500 km on it and it has been running well since then.
I have been away for work for 5 weeks so I didn't used it too much since the major repairs.
I just hope I don't have anymore problem with the new oil cooler.
My truck was a November 2014 production.
The new engine and parts are 2017.
Only the cab heater wasn't replaced. It was thoroughly flushed.
I have been checking regularly the expansion tank and haven't seen any trace of oil.
FCA and my dealership have been very good to me.
They answered the call the way I expect them to do, everything was covered under warranty.
Also the new engine is using 5W40 oil instead of 5W30.
See the picture of the old engine with the faulty oil cooler.

Michel Lavoie

Aug 23, 2016
Truck Year
A little update: I got over 5000k on this new engine and other associated parts and it's been running well so far. Also of interest my son in law got a late 2015 Laramie and it's already over 110000k and no problem so far with the engine oil cooler. Looks like FCA finally got the oil cooler issue resolved.

W.D.H.

Nov 9, 2016
Truck Year
Slightly over 6k miles on new engine and so far so good. Fuel mileage has improved now that it's warmed up. Each time I fuel up I always add a double dose of EDT from Hot Shots engine purrs.

ScottinOregon

Apr 22, 2017
Truck Year
I've got a Jeep GC with the EcoDiesel 3.0. This is a good site, even though I'm not a Ram owner!

In October the coolant level was down and dark brown residue in reservoir. Dealer flushed and cleaned it. For almost $500. I'm claiming reimbursement under powertrain warranty. A guy in Florida says the Italy factory rushed a bunch of late 2013 diesels and did not properly clean the sanding from casting. That is resulting in pump failures, clogs, etc. Anyone hear about the same factory problem? Our Jeep delivered November 2013, as a 2014 JGC 4x4. Running fine, but I'm concerned about long term viability of engine.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I've got a Jeep GC with the EcoDiesel 3.0. This is a good site, even though I'm not a Ram owner!

In October the coolant level was down and dark brown residue in reservoir. Dealer flushed and cleaned it. For almost $500. I'm claiming reimbursement under powertrain warranty. A guy in Florida says the Italy factory rushed a bunch of late 2013 diesels and did not properly clean the sanding from casting. That is resulting in pump failures, clogs, etc. Anyone hear about the same factory problem? Our Jeep delivered November 2013, as a 2014 JGC 4x4. Running fine, but I'm concerned about long term viability of engine.

We welcome all EcoDiesel owners! We're glad to have you here.

jon swartz

Mar 17, 2017
Truck Year
i just had my oil cooler go out on my '14 ram ED with 38k. fca said it is not covered under powertrain warranty. i now have a case manager and she is looking into that for me. i paid for mine to be fixed. when i picked it up there was oil still in the coolent. i am not shocked though as i have read how hard it is to get out. i just am not sure where this is going to go since i am out of warranty. also my truck has a cel on with
Code p04db. i have tried to do some research and found nothing but 2 other guys with this code and both of them their motor blew. so im hoping for the best and see what happens. truck goes back into the dealer tonight.

ScottinOregon

Apr 22, 2017
Truck Year
i just had my oil cooler go out on my '14 ram ED with 38k. fca said it is not covered under powertrain warranty. i now have a case manager and she is looking into that for me. i paid for mine to be fixed. when i picked it up there was oil still in the coolent. i am not shocked though as i have read how hard it is to get out. i just am not sure where this is going to go since i am out of warranty. also my truck has a cel on with
Code p04db. i have tried to do some research and found nothing but 2 other guys with this code and both of them their motor blew. so im hoping for the best and see what happens. truck goes back into the dealer tonight.
On Jeep diesel forum, a guy in Florida had gunk/sediment in coolant tank. It was not oil, but sand from the block molding process at the diesel engine production plant in Italy. Evidently in late 2013 they were rushing the production line and failed to fully flush and clean the sand from the blocks. With the coolant, time and heat, this crap is showing up in the reservoir. My dealer flushed my 3.0 L diesel coolant but that had no idea what was causing it. I am in email with FCA on getting my $ back from that service. The Florida guy got his engine repaired under powertrain 100K warranty. This should be covered!

William Hedgepeth

Aug 31, 2016
Truck Year
Anyone else had this problem? I saw this picture on facebook today.

View attachment 53
Yes I had the same problem with my 2015 ECO Diesel, it happened at 18000 miles and the dealership San Antonio Dodge, Jeep and Chrysler , ended up putting in a new 2017 model 3.0 Liter engine and replaced most all of the associated cooling system components due to oil contamination. I now have 31,000 miles on it and haven't had any more problems with the oil cooler.

W.D.H.

Nov 9, 2016
Truck Year
I just finished a tow from Washington to Fairbanks AK and upon arrival in AK I noticed my coolant changed color. I took it to the local dealer and was told it wasn't oil in the coolant and my oil cooler had not failed. Has anyone's coolant changed color on them?
If it is the purple coolant it's normal for it to darken a little, just a little.

William Hedgepeth

Aug 31, 2016
Truck Year
If it is the purple coolant it's normal for it to darken a little, just a little.
No it should remain the color, once the fluid cools put your finger in it to see if it's an oil residue. If so that is the first sign of the oil cooler leaking.

Eco buba

May 10, 2017
Truck Year
Yes I had the same problem with my 2015 ECO Diesel, it happened at 18000 miles and the dealership San Antonio Dodge, Jeep and Chrysler , ended up putting in a new 2017 model 3.0 Liter engine and replaced most all of the associated cooling system components due to oil contamination. I now have 31,000 miles on it and haven't had any more problems with the oil cooler.
Hi Sir I am new to this site . My 2015 eco has 30000 on it . Last week it started to have oil in the colant overflow tank . It's at the dealership now . What I like to know is what should I do to make them change the engine. Should I try first with dealer. Or immediately open a case with the FCA . Thank to all for any suggestions

William Hedgepeth

Aug 31, 2016
Truck Year
I Didn't have to escalate the problem to FCA but being X-military chain of command usually works best. Go through the Service department First and let them know that your aware of others who have had the same problem. The fix with them was to replace the motor. It doesn't cost the dealership anything to do this matter of fact they make money doing warranty work so press it if you have too and if the problem doesn't get resolved than take to FCA