• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

engine failure @ 148000 miles.

Jun 1, 2015
Truck Year
I work for Cummins. I have seen all parts before assembly. I don't know if the gears are from same supplier, or if they have same procedures for making parts. But the crank, cam, and fuel pump gears are heat treated. Many times we would see parts come in different shades of colors from the process. Not saying that is your heat blueing, but maybe a possibility.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Happy that your back on the road, Shawn. Appreciate the info provided. The more informed, the more likely we can catch an issue before it cost or blow up.

swordfish

Nov 15, 2015
Truck Year
Shawn did did they cut a keyway to hold your cam gear in place or pin it, just curious

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
That's the big secret. Contact dj diesel I guess

John

Nov 13, 2015
Why is it a big secret? I wish Tom would give us some more information.

Juan Bello

Dec 4, 2015
Truck Year
Nothing yet, just spending lots of money on rentals and exploratory diagnostics. Sucks but I'm trying to save my sleeping Beauty. I have an idea what it is and I found a young new energetic diesel shop owner who is actually really excited to tear it down and rebuild it for the experience. No shop will touch it in my state. But thank goodness for hungry young energetic guys unlike myself. In the meantime ill be working all weekend in the snow to get my dad's old 88 gmc fixed up unburied from the field, have to clean out all the cobwebs out of the cab and engine bay change the fuel filter change all the fluids and put new tires on it so I can use it for the next couple weeks. If it is what I think it is, it's kinda an expensive fix but it's worth it and preventable. It's a common issue with the 2.8l vm engines and all race engines. And no it had nothing to do with me putting filters everywhere and putting a oil separator on it. One clue ill give you is this diesel can be very rewarding but they are really delicate and need to be treated as such like a woman's feelings, they can only take so much before they break. I'm sorry there's only so much I will tell as I hate feeding my trolls on other forums. Since my first problem my support has disappeared and the sheer number of people who enjoy watching me fail is horrendous and really opened my eyes to social media. This has been a long month but I have had some help from some top engineers, engineers, Bosch is actually working really hard on this fuel system and wants it to the reliable, so it was worth my time to pull everything and send it in to them. There is some underground new information about the ecodiesel from some top design engineers about our maintenance schedule and operating habits that I'll definetely be following.
As for captainmal that is on genuine valuable member to have on this forum. Thank Thank joining.
Until I get some real answers for my pof ill just have to wait like you:(
Shawn I bought my truck ( valued at 43K) because of you. I have read other posts of people praising you. Don't let a few ungrateful jerks change who you are.

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
Shawn I bought my truck ( valued at 43K) because of you. I have read other posts of people praising you. Don't let a few ungrateful jerks change who you are.
Thank you Juan. I do love my truck, and I truely enjoy it all 14 hours I'm in it each day. My info and videos are not for profit or purpose but to show my journey and experiences with my truck, good or bad you see it.

linuxfreakus

Jan 7, 2016
Truck Year
Not Listed
I have been reading up on this ecodiesel engine trying to get enough information to decide whether it would be wise to get one of these trucks or pay extra for a 2500 and get the Cummins. I've been helped a lot by what Shawn has shared, and I'm pretty sure there is enough information available already in this thread and the videos that even if you don't know the exact method used, that any diesel shop good enough to perform this fix would be able to figure it out from what is given. I don't necessarily disagree with the sentiment that just openly sharing the details would be better, I also don't see why they should be forced to give up something they feel could be used as a competitive advantage, at least for a little while until more engines start having this problem and more shops see it and exact details end up getting published. If the design is as flawed as it sounds like, then I guarantee it won't be long before all the details are known... and what's more, it seems like an updated design in future engines plus some sort of recall or service action might happen too. Time will tell.

I'm still undecided on ecodiesel vs Cummins though :/

I can say, that I've been driving Range Rovers for years and years though, so I'm used to vehicles with lots of "niggles", I am in fact quite familiar with that oil separator in one of Shawn's other videos, it was the bane of my existence for quite some time until I rigged fixes for the PCV in that truck :)

Last edited:

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
The late model cummins aren't problem free themselves they have had plenty of engine failures that I'm aware of just local guys have had them lock up spit rods and also catch fire.

linuxfreakus

Jan 7, 2016
Truck Year
Not Listed
Yeah, I know... I've read about a lot of issues with the newer 6.7 Cummins... though at least they seem to have a bit better emissions design now... many people were having DPF failures way sooner than they should but I've read that since '13 it has been much improved, along with the mileage with a lot of guys reporting 22 - 24 mpg if you pay attention to your RPM as it relates to your gear ratio etc.

Last edited:

linuxfreakus

Jan 7, 2016
Truck Year
Not Listed
Part of what makes me so indecisive with the Cummins is that so many people tune the heck out of them and push those things a lot harder than they should, so I don't know how widespread issues would be if all kept closer to stock specs and just messed with less risky mods. I'm not interested in "rolling coal"... just want to have a diesel... been waiting forever for Land Rover to bring one across the pond, but now that they finally did, I can't stand the new designs... plus I want more towing capacity than an SUV gets me. I'll miss the off-road stuff, but most of the trails I do would probably be fine for pickup too after some suspension upgrades... I see plenty of people out there with full-size trucks.

I should probably stop now since this is totally off topic for the thread. I may start a new thread later. One step at a time. Been reading for months, and just joined :)

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
Part of what makes me so indecisive with the Cummins is that so many people tune the heck out of them and push those things a lot harder than they should, so I don't know how widespread issues would be if all kept closer to stock specs and just messed with less risky mods. I'm not interested in "rolling coal"... just want to have a diesel... been waiting forever for Land Rover to bring one across the pond, but now that they finally did, I can't stand the new designs... plus I want more towing capacity than an SUV gets me. I'll miss the off-road stuff, but most of the trails I do would probably be fine for pickup too after some suspension upgrades... I see plenty of people out there with full-size trucks.

I should probably stop now since this is totally off topic for the thread. I may start a new thread later. One step at a time. Been reading for months, and just joined :)
All the failures I know of were on stock 6.7's.

linuxfreakus

Jan 7, 2016
Truck Year
Not Listed
All the failures I know of were on stock 6.7's.

"Best-in-Class 15,000-mile oil change intervals" may have something to do with that too... perhaps not in the specific cases that you know of, but on average... IMO following that advice would be pure folly.... I know Land Rover for a while kept saying the same things and people's trucks kept dying... I don't know of anyone who changed their oil every 5k like I do that had a failure on that M62 platform.... and its even more crazy on these diesels with the EGR dumping soot into the intake all the time, I'd probably be tempted to either delete or change every 3k miles.... or perhaps just do oil analysis to save money rather than blindly change that often.

My brother has a 5.9 with I have no idea how many miles on it now... probably at least half a million, it looks like crap because he goes off road and its beat up body wise, etc... but that engine doesn't quit, he maintains it meticulously.

Last edited:

dodgeforlife

Mar 28, 2016
Truck Year
Ok I am new here and have read through this thread.
So Shawn said that he was lucky that he didn't float the valves and ruin his motor because of the HPFP gear slipped on the cam right?
Well from the video that was posted it looked to me that the timing gear for the cam was behind the HPFP gear. If that is the case unless the cam gear slipped with the HPFP gear there is no way that he could float the valves in the motor. The timing on the cam would still be the same, not that it would not sound really bad because the fuel timing would be off. But he would not float the valves. Just my 2 cents on it all.

linuxfreakus

Jan 7, 2016
Truck Year
Not Listed
FWIW, I ended up getting a cummins. I have a 2016 ram 3500 now. I am still not sure whether there is a real concern or not with the ecodiesel, but I am getting 23 MPG with my cummins thru 8k miles, and that is perfectly acceptable for me.