• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Enlight HID for 2015

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
So I finally got around to installing my HID Retrofit on the projectors. I couldn't handle the horrible light output anymore. Originally it used the same resistor packs that many of us are familiar with from Retroshop with the exception that they are on a custom aluminum heat sink for longevity. But it's still 2 morimoto resistors per bulb on the 2015 (only 1 for the 2014) because the computer is so picky. I had one resistor go bad and Max with enlight was really great to deal with. Also being the ecodiesel I had some length issues with the harness that's built to go around the hemi cooling system, I was sent a new harness with longer battery leads no questions asked to help routing, and I got updated resistors when I had the one go bad. They are now a flat aluminum single resistor on a slightly larger heat sink. Price is about the same as the Retroshop kit but the heat sink and resistor longevity had me sold, and now with the custom resistor pack it's far superior to any system out there. Even with a large heat sink the mounting options are great.

he only offers 6000k bulbs but has an upgrade to a xb55 ballast that drops it to 4300k (OEM color for any other HID)

But will order custom color bulbs for additional cost but I think the intensity upgrade and color drop of the 55w ballast is all anyone needs.

The light looks great and the install other than harness being tight was absolutely fantastic. I'll Work on getting a discount code for everyone here. There was one on another gasser ram forum I found.

Max was really great to solve any issues I had and was very prompt to do so.

Though the length was probably partially my own fault because I'm so picky. I don't want to see any wires. AT ALL. Just because it's a Retro fit doesn't mean it needs to looked like something that was rigged up to Work on the truck.

And I followed Retroshops idea to stuff the ballasts and igniters into the projector headlight housing. Which works great.

Attached are a couple pictures of their new 2015 resistor packs on the heat sinks and a new LED fog kit I was just told they were working on.

IMG_1006.jpg IMG_1012.jpg

Really good company and great Service. I am extremely happy and found the kit to be superior to others available.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Some power/output/application Q&A:

will these work in the 14's as well? and are they compatible with the oem projectors?

Yes these will work on the 2014 models. Some 2014 models do not need this setup, but it appears as if if there may have been a mid year change that Dodge made on these vehicles. Some of our customers can run our normal Ram HID systems for 2009-2014 without issues. However, there may be some late 2014 models which have the same changes as the 2015 models and will require the setup posted in this thread. If you want to avoid any issues, this system will work on all 2009-2015 ram models.

Quote:

35w ballasts are all that you offer? I ran 55w in my last Ram. Also...any other color choices?
Thx.

We only carry 6000k at this time. We have had a few customers asking for other colors, but after trying our bulbs they have been very satisfied with the light color and output. If you have stock projectors, we have real 9012 socket hid bulbs. Not 9006 bulbs like some other places may include. These 9012 bulbs don't require any modification for proper fitment.

I also carry Morimoto XB55 Ballasts which are 50W. This can be substituted for an extra $35 I have personally measured our systems with an integrating sphere to get true lumen output of these systems. The Alpha 35W ballasts using our latest H11 bulbs yields ~2950lm @ 5900k CCT. This is very high for a 6000k bulb, most standard 6000k bulbs are closer to 2400lm. The XB55 ballast paired with the same H11 bulb yeilds ~4250lm @ 5280k CCT

So if you are looking for a lower color temperature, you can get there by just choosing the XB55 Ballasts. Its also important to note that our bulbs do not look blue like some other claimed "6000k" bulbs on the market. They have a very colorless white appearance. No blue tint.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Just in case anyone wants to see the system installed I can try to get a few pictures to show mounting locations for the resistors but I hid everything really well! Just let me know if I can help.

Connie

Sep 16, 2015
Truck Year
Well more to learn.. I never thought about the difference in headlights.. i don't drive at night very much,, I have a hard time on coming lights blind me. night blindnees I think comes with age.. . when I test drove the truck it was at night and I let the salemans drive and I liked how bright it was.. and the auto dim when another car came at you.. When the final purchase was complete a few days later at midnight.. I drove the truck home myself.. and I felt comfortable with the lights.. the head lights in 2003 2500 suck.. so I guess based on those the new truck was a large improvement.. I don't like the blue tints on light .. at all.. take some pics of your truck at dusk with your lights on.. and post them.. I checked out the links you posted.. interesting.. how much of a pain are they to change out???

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
It uses a relay harness direct from the battery to provide a solid power source. That is a pain. And when I used the old humongous resistors it was hard to find a mounting location. These new slim style ones are fantastic. Even with the large heat sink they tuck in almost anywhere. I put it so the resistor is up against the metal and if there's any contact with plastic like I stated there's options where to put them depending how much you would like it hidden, to face the aluminum heat sink towards the plastic.

I cannot begin to explain how big of a difference it is. I will get pictures over this weekend but if it's any consolation I do have a picture of the light bar on, which I absolutely could not see my factory halogen headlights over, now the light bar is nearly a giant fog because I cannot see it over the HID beam.

20150902_210332.jpg

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Excellent write up/info. As always, the more pictures the better.

I just need the motivation for something like this. I imagine the output is excellent in the housings.

The light beam is so crisp and intense I cannot begin to explain how satisfied you will be if you decide to do this. Depending how picky you are with wiring and hiding stuff it's maybe a 2-3 hour job. It's well worth it.

Just pop off the grill and headlights, switch bulbs, stuff the ballast into the housing. Cut a little notch for the 4 wires to come out, (vs using the 1" silicone plug you have to drill the big hole in the dust cover for which I'm against) zip tie the resistors somewhere and the relay harness, plug it into the battery and throw it back together. You'll never regret the time spent in my opinion

Connie

Sep 16, 2015
Truck Year
Those are bright!! If your neighbors curtains are open their whole living room is lit up!!! lol.. nice pic that much light migh make night driving easier

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Well more to learn.. I never thought about the difference in headlights.. i don't drive at night very much,, I have a hard time on coming lights blind me. night blindnees I think comes with age.. . when I test drove the truck it was at night and I let the salemans drive and I liked how bright it was.. and the auto dim when another car came at you.. When the final purchase was complete a few days later at midnight.. I drove the truck home myself.. and I felt comfortable with the lights.. the head lights in 2003 2500 suck.. so I guess based on those the new truck was a large improvement.. I don't like the blue tints on light .. at all.. take some pics of your truck at dusk with your lights on.. and post them.. I checked out the links you posted.. interesting.. how much of a pain are they to change out???

Connie, it is a little finicky and time consuming to do I will say, but it is well worth the time.

And it is not any Blue light. It is sure white. Especially with the xb55 ballast which brings the color to a very nice and very bright white.

20150902_103252.jpg

Original halogens

20150927_021928.jpg

HID install going back together.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Those are bright!! If your neighbors curtains are open their whole living room is lit up!!! lol.. nice pic that much light migh make night driving easier

That photo was actually that light bar I have under my bumper alone. The headlights are now better than that.

And it's not blinding for oncoming. I've never been flashed. It's a nice beam pattern. And with high beams on the low beam projector lense actually has an actuator that tilts it up a little, plus the halogen high beam turns.

Which yellows the beam a little bit, and yellow light actually provides better visibility. Hence yellow fogs are so popular in euro and some other areas. But 4300k is going to be highest lumen output. These were measured at over 4,000 lumen! (Light power)

Connie

Sep 16, 2015
Truck Year
Your light bar is nice.. I like the how long it is across the lower black part of the bumper.. that shows me what mine would look like with one.. that is another thing on the upgrade list I want.. I have seen other trucks in dodge groups with different bars..on them but I like how yours is longer across then many of them.. the head light change is really a nice bright white white.. light.. nice job..and of course we all love pictures!! it helps a person know what their truck can look like. with additions.. do you know how long the light life is .. I guess I could look it.. and if you had to change them out at least all set up is already in stalled.. but you would still have to take the grill apart ect.. you would just replace the bulb right? I see it has a 2 year warranty.. did you do both low and high beams and leave your stock fog lights.. you really don't need to upgrade fog lights with light bar .. right now a person could clearly see you coming.. but the person in front of you would def. have to adjust the mirror to not get hit with a ton of light.. if you did both low and hig beams you invested a nice chuck of change plus your labor.. I would have to get a friend to assist.. really cool!!!

Connie

Sep 16, 2015
Truck Year
I don't drive alot in the early morning anymore.. when fog is in the air... as we get closer to winter.. the fog will get worst here.. so I will not know if I like the fog lights or not.. but I think those head lights are pretty nice..

Connie

Sep 16, 2015
Truck Year
My daughter cars has head lights that move.. you can adjust them .. I like that feature it would be nice to have that feature on this truck too..

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
The low beam stays on when you turn your bright's on so it's not necessary at all. And fogs are on my to do list. I think I'm going to try enlights new led fog kit as I've been very satisfied with this but eventually I want to put the LED cube brackets in place of fogs with rigid industries DOT approved fog light cubes but it's a 600$ system.
The system would last just as long as a halogen system. Our 2001 BMW has 204,000 miles on it and I think it still has the original HID bulbs from factory. They last a while. But the higher wattage ballast I used does decrease bulb life a bit. But it's still like 2,000 hours or something like that?

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
So I actually have a brand new light bar same as this in box I've never opened. I'm considering removing mine as it is currently. It was kind of an inexpensive alternative to the HID at the time. It does fit up great with the shape of the bumper.

If anyone were really serious about wanting it I would maybe be willing to trade air dams so you could have one notched for the brackets already and only have to drill the two holes. And install a switch.

I just have less of a use for an off road light. I need high output lighting I can use while on road all of the time hence why I reconsidered keeping it though it is nice where it is.

20150902_114317.jpg 20150902_114401.jpg

Last edited:

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I don't drive alot in the early morning anymore.. when fog is in the air... as we get closer to winter.. the fog will get worst here.. so I will not know if I like the fog lights or not.. but I think those head lights are pretty nice..
Our factory fog lights.. well... they suck. It's a low wide beam, but it's not very intense, and it's not bright enough to really help much. They are something that is just always on when you have your halogens because it actually lights up a little bit more which you need at night because the halogen projectors you can barely see in front of you. In comparison to any good HID anyways it's like driving with a night light vs a spot light

Connie

Sep 16, 2015
Truck Year
I am watching the video right now.. there is some detail to doing this.. they don't say how often you might end up changing out ballest.. and I see they offer and upgrade to that to.. I don't think I have ever changed out a head light in a long time.. the last time was a van and it was way back in the dark ages when you either just replaced the unit.. or if you wer cheap changed out the bulb but that in when head lights are not thigh tech... I see they said to be careful what fog lights you would use doue to heat.. and I also see that for the 2015 they custom make the kits.. I would think once installed it would be a long time before you would even have to consider replacing any part of them...

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Anyone with springs or a lift the light bar in this location would be great, it's hardly lower than the air dam already is. But I have the air and I have to be mindful if I ever put it in entry mode when the front is parked over a high curb because it could crunch down right on it.

I haven't done this. But I know I've seen some curbs I've thought it could happen with pending I were to go into entry height.