• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EPA holding 2017 Diesels hostage

Ron Bucher

Nov 1, 2016
Truck Year
EPA holding light duty diesels "hostage" for whatever reason has an unintended consequence which has become the signature of our bloated government agencies. The 1000s of newer cleaner engines not allowed on the road means in general you can keep your old soot pumper on the road in daily service. I have a personal interest in this as I have a 2017 Ecodiesel on order which has been built for 100 days. Am I missing something or is this the same agency that is quietly , through executive order, attempting to take control of the inland waters from state governments? I look out each morning expecting to see the flow of the river stop like the flow of newer, cleaner diesels. The 230,000 employees (and hiring more) at the EPA could be put to better use the heeding progress.
Sorry ,meant impeding progress, big difference.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I haven't heard anymore recent reports, are all others being held as well still? I know GM still hasn't released the 2017 Duramax yet as well. Ford's '17 Powerstroke is out on the market already however.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The ED was off restrictions for 4 Days and Dealer were able to Take orders again, Today I tried and they we back on restrictions, Don't know what to think of that.

The Duramax in 2017 is New develop motor With GM as the Sole maker, Bosch lost the contract to Denso on the Fuel side, So I can see Why the D-max is late comer.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
it doesn't seem like the HD pickups have the same issues with the EPA, maybe something to do with the the fact that they're not tested for fuel economy ratings like the 1/2 tons. This is pure speculation, I don't know if there could be any correlation.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
Fathers company just placed an order for around 200 Laramie EcoDiesels, somebody knows something we don't or FCA just couldn't turn away the cash........ interested to see what plays out here

Ron Bucher

Nov 1, 2016
Truck Year
Dave Smith Motors sales dept. says they have 150 on order and they don't know any more than we do, at least for sharing with the public. The article I read about the EPA said all light duty Diesels are bottle necked at the EPA and only one low production company has tentative clearance. EPA funding is not dependent on efficiency and it shows. If they have this segment held up, because they can, makes you wonder what else is stalled there. They have about 230,000 employees and hiring more every day.

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
Dave Smith Motors sales dept. says they have 150 on order and they don't know any more than we do, at least for sharing with the public. The article I read about the EPA said all light duty Diesels are bottle necked at the EPA and only one low production company has tentative clearance. EPA funding is not dependent on efficiency and it shows. If they have this segment held up, because they can, makes you wonder what else is stalled there. They have about 230,000 employees and hiring more every day.
Don't you think the problem is with the vehicles and not the EPA? Obviously you don't, but I wouldn't be so sure myself.

rammit

Nov 7, 2016
Truck Year
Just heard from the dealer that my truck is supposed to ship December 1st. I'm not having any luck getting a good answer about what happened and how it was cleared up.

rammit

Nov 7, 2016
Truck Year
He thinks there were allegations that the 2016 EDs weren't as clean as advertised or didn't get the advertised mileage and so they held the 2017s to make sure they were as advertised. But he really doesn't seem to know much.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
Don't you think the problem is with the vehicles and not the EPA? Obviously you don't, but I wouldn't be so sure myself.

The EPA is a government agency that is the definition of inefficiency as far as operations go. That being said I don't think it's their fault that VW cheated, but every light Diesel engine is going to pay the price. GM is going through similar things with the diesel Colorado/Canyon and Cruze. There is also another oil update for the entire diesel industry coming in 2017 so there's a lot of emissions related issues without even looking at the VW scandal

Ron Bucher

Nov 1, 2016
Truck Year
We're kinda in the dark but what we do know is that diesel that just passed you today with black smoke pouring out is still in daily service because the EPA prefers that to getting the new cleaner engines on the road. Enable Pollution Always,

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
From what I have read in the Trades the EPA has placed all Light Duty Diesels back through certification process. Even to the extent of renting existing vehicles for comparison testing. At last reading only one major manufacturer approved, but grapevine supplies that Ford has been approved and that FCA should be approved soon. As previously stated in this forum the emission standards are the same, just rechecking due to VW. At last reporting VW is not bringing any Diesel engines to U.S. Shame. On another statement the truck driving by "Rolling Coal" has multiple engine system modifications which may or may not be legal to Federal Regulations for emissions control. For me it is much like loud pipes on bikes, they both reflect poorly on my riding and driving choices. These controls have been relegated to State control, for those in New England area or Texas, MO, etc. Here in OK there is no state emission control testing so almost, well, anything goes.

Ron Bucher

Nov 1, 2016
Truck Year
Seems like you have done your homework. Always appreciate that. Just wonder how EPA grabs on to more power when they can't keep up with their present load.(check EPA takes control of inland waters by executive order). This eventually leads to production cutbacks and job loss in the private sector, I did read the EPA's side but makes me wonder.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Seems like you have done your homework. Always appreciate that. Just wonder how EPA grabs on to more power when they can't keep up with their present load.(check EPA takes control of inland waters by executive order). This eventually leads to production cutbacks and job loss in the private sector, I did read the EPA's side but makes me wonder.
EPA surface water control was against counsel of the Army Corp of Engineers and Coast Guard who jointly control "the waters of the United States" much like the FBI they themselves admit that they cannot do their present job without more agents or authority. So "I am from the government I am here to help" is more than an inside joke.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Wow. So who's filled out the info to get in on the class action lawsuit?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I feel like since VW is paying up big time, some people are trying to go that direction just for the $$$. Time will tell. I do wish FCA would address the engine failures.

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
The law firm filing this suit is no joke.

I absolutely love my truck, but I never would have bought it had I read through this website before signing the dotted line. When all you do is read the "bad" you start to wonder when your day in the barrel is coming.

In my perfect world the following would happen:

1). FCA loses the lawsuit and reimburses all ED owners a dollar amount in excess of 5K

2). FCA issues a recall for the oil cooler and replaces it with a reliable system

3). And finally, FCA's change to 5W40 is proven to have remedied the "lower end" engine failures

4). And what the hell, give us all an extra 3yr 50K mile power train warranty to total 8yr/150K

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
If the allegations are true and mileage suffers via a corrected PCM flash, sign me up for a buyback. The EcoDiesel is a great truck because of it's efficiency. Take that away and it's a terrible buy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk