• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EPA holding 2017 Diesels hostage

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
If the allegations are true and mileage suffers via a corrected PCM flash, sign me up for a buyback. The EcoDiesel is a great truck because of it's efficiency. Take that away and it's a terrible buy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
I signed up on the attorney's website. This is going to morph into a substantial event akin to the VW settlement. I would exchange this truck for a hemi and a cash settlement in a heartbeat. I love the truck but I just don't trust it's reliability anymore after reading forums since my purchase.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I signed up on the attorney's website. This is going to morph into a substantial event akin to the VW settlement. I would exchange this truck for a hemi and a cash settlement in a heartbeat. I love the truck but I just don't trust it's reliability anymore after reading forums since my purchase.

We all need to post more happy stories.:D People are going to come here to say the bad things, not the good ones. With that said, I still don't think it's as bad as it seems.

JSchneib

Oct 20, 2015
Truck Year
I love my truck. it does exactly what I bought it for and I would not trade it for (another) Hemi. If FCA offers me something back, that is fine but I would keep the truck for sure.

flying7

Jul 15, 2014
Truck Year
We all need to post more happy stories.:D People are going to come here to say the bad things, not the good ones. With that said, I still don't think it's as bad as it seems.

My EcoDiesel is quite, smooth, and gets AMAZING FUEL MILEAGE! no one is getting it back from me.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
There's a ton of class action lawsuits against most automobile manufacturers. I was skeptical about the ecodiesel due to what I had heard about engine failures, but I bit the bullet anyway and couldn't be happier with the pickup. It is a blast to drive around town compared to a 3/4-1ton. It is extremely quiet, rides like a dream, has enough power to do what I ask of it and gets decent fuel economy to boot. FCA is fulfilling orders for the 2017 pickups now, so I think the ecodiesel is here to stay. To everyone scared that it's going to fail on them I have one statement to make, it's a mechanical piece of equipment, regardless who makes it or type of combustion event there is a chance that it could blow up.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
I am driving the dreaded 2014 and I am totally pleased, after finding a dealer that knew what they are doing. Pulled my last months fuel economy numbers with my low of 22mpg and high of 26.5mpg. This with a variety of driving both in town and highway and combinations of all. I have had some doubts shortly after purchase when 5w-40 JT6 oil doubled in price, now coming back down, about maintenance expense but am factoring fuel mileage with maintenance and feel my early concerns may be unwarranted. My truck has more space than the competitive vehicle that I was shopping prior to my RAM purchase, ride quality is industry standard, cabin noise level is only exceeded by GM, no one can touch the fuel mileage, brakes are awesome, self leveling air ride I have come to appreciate but still waiting for the compressor to drop.
I have yet to find anyone who knows of any "cheater program" in the OEM program or suspects same, other than the German government. The VW debacle is why the EPA retested all diesel combinations this year. I have read at least one report of the EPA using POV's to double check testing and OEM programing. As a automotive machine shop owner every vehicle is a potential POS. That being said I only see the bad ones or the ones who have a million miles and need rebuild, yes my 95 Chevy Z71 presently has 396K on original drive train and engine. Yes I buy my vehicles to drive, I have put 11K on my RAM since I purchased in Sept. My wife presently has 139K on the clock of her 2013 Charger, V6 with 8 speed.
I can with ease relate the shortcoming of most any engine assembly, as well as strengths. Each month the rebuilder trade magazines have reports of weakness and resolutions of every engine in production. That being said the design of the oil cooler is a weakness that many have identified, reasons for FCA not to address only they know. Yes much like many other commenters I plan on making a change once warranty coverage is close.
So I love my truck and that is saying a lot with my long history of owning GM products, with only one Ford breaking a long train of GM's until this RAM.

Bigjima

Sep 8, 2016
Truck Year
I actually got a call today from my local Ram Dealer offering to buy my 2015 eco lone star edition back and to put me in a 2017 Bighorn for my same payments. Apparently some customer wants it more than I do. I turned them down. I love my Ecodiesel hope I don't regret it but I've been nothing but happy with it
(y)

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I actually got a call today from my local Ram Dealer offering to buy my 2015 eco lone star edition back and to put me in a 2017 Bighorn for my same payments. Apparently some customer wants it more than I do. I turned them down. I love my Ecodiesel hope I don't regret it but I've been nothing but happy with it
(y)

Welcome to the site. Most of the time, they are the ones making out on the deal when they call you unfortunately.

adaman7

May 7, 2016
Truck Year
Not Listed
I have a deposit on a 2017 ED. I received this today.....

"
Dear RAM truck Customer,

My name is Richard Purk, and I work in the Order-to-Delivery group at FCA US (FCA). Thank you for purchasing the RAM 1500 pickup equipped with the 3.0L Eco-Diesel engine.

You likely know that prior to shipping any vehicle, for every new model year FCA must obtain EPA’s certification that our vehicles comply with federal emissions standards. This year, across all automakers, EPA is being extra careful about certifying diesel vehicles. So, FCA continues to wait for this certification for the 2017 RAM 1500 Eco-Diesel truck.

I just wanted to reach out and let you know that once the certification is approved, we will expedite the building and shipping of your vehicle.

We are closely monitoring the situation. We really do appreciate your patience, and please let me know if you have any questions."

From Purk Richard (FCA)

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
Wonder how long ago you were supposed to get that letter

adaman7

May 7, 2016
Truck Year
Not Listed
Wonder how long ago you were supposed to get that letter
No clue but the truck should have show up last week according to the original "at latest" date of 8 weeks.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
No clue but the truck should have show up last week according to the original "at latest" date of 8 weeks.

Hoping for the best, hopefully the new year brings some good news, I don't know if the 2017 Duramax is out yet or not either, should fine the EPA if and when they make certification for lost profits

Ron Bucher

Nov 1, 2016
Truck Year
Thanks for you

"
Dear RAM truck Customer,

My name is Richard Purk, and I work in the Order-to-Delivery group at FCA US (FCA). Thank you for purchasing the RAM 1500 pickup equipped with the 3.0L Eco-Diesel engine.

You likely know that prior to shipping any vehicle, for every new model year FCA must obtain EPA’s certification that our vehicles comply with federal emissions standards. This year, across all automakers, EPA is being extra careful about certifying diesel vehicles. So, FCA continues to wait for this certification for the 2017 RAM 1500 Eco-Diesel truck.

I just wanted to reach out and let you know that once the certification is approved, we will expedite the building and shipping of your vehicle.

We are closely monitoring the situation. We really do appreciate your patience, and please let me know if you have any questions."

From Purk Richard (FCA)

Ron Bucher

Nov 1, 2016
Truck Year

"
Dear RAM truck Customer,

From Purk Richard (FCA)

Nothing Ram can do 'til Jan. I ordered one on 1st day and finally gave up when I read EPA has pipeline permit applications 15 years old molding in files. Got a hemi and love it. Try for ED next time. Wonder what 230,000 EPA employees would think if their payroll processor was this efficient?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Wonder what 230,000 EPA employees would think if their payroll processor was this efficient?

We can say that about most of the government to be fair... It's sad.

We're now in 2017 and still no 2017 EcoDiesel's that I've come across on the lots yet, or seen anybody that has posted having one for that matter.

Edward R Benoit

Jan 4, 2017
Truck Year
Still waiting for my 1500 ecodiesel. Dealer ordered it in August 2016 supposed to arrive Nov 17. Still not here. I am told it's in transit but have my doubts. Unless they are curcu navigating the world with it first. Anybody have an update?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Still waiting for my 1500 ecodiesel. Dealer ordered it in August 2016 supposed to arrive Nov 17. Still not here. I am told it's in transit but have my doubts. Unless they are curcu navigating the world with it first. Anybody have an update?

Welcome Edward,

It seems like most are in the same boat as you are.

Edward R Benoit

Jan 4, 2017
Truck Year
Welcome Edward,

It seems like most are in the same boat as you are.
Thanks for the reply. I called the US tracking ph number and they couldn't track as its a Canadian sale so they transferred me to the Canadian customer service which informed they don't have the same tracking ability. I asked why FCA has not come out with a statement as to what the hold up is with these vehicles so purchasers have an idea of what's going on with delayed delivery aND was told the sales manager of my dealership can track it. As mentioned previously I've been told repeatedly it's "in transit". I wonder if there is some way, maybe Consumer Affairs through the government that we buyers can get more answers or at least to pressure FCA to make a definitive statement about the delays caused by FDA testing or whatever. Perhaps an online or Utube exposè. Any thoughts? Thanks.

stormcom

Oct 22, 2016
Truck Year
I had 2 awful lemon EDs. Had electrical issues. Loved the motor but when they did the "free oil change" my mileage went down by 4 to 5 mpg. The keyfobs were a joke and the dash and nav system is a joke. Beware, FCA wants to do trade assist and not buyback as they do not want to brand the title a lemon. Don't know what the truth is with EPA but I know that in approx. 50k on 2 trucks, they need to go back to the drawing board.

Bought a F150 and everytime I see someone from the Ram dealership, I say at least the Ford runs.

R Stanley

Dec 22, 2016
Truck Year
Sorry to hear that stormcom, you bought two of them, knowing the fob was joke and dash and navigation a joke, I hope you got a vehicle you like this time. I can imagine it can get frustrating I cannot talk for anyone else, my ED has been a very reliable truck, I hope your F150 satisfies your expectations for what you want.