• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Extang vs leer trilogy tonneau cover

jo5

Oct 27, 2015
Have. New Ram 1500 big horn and need a tonneau cover
On rough dirt roads and lots of snow and would like to be able to easily take it off
Have to be able to open tailgate with cover closed ( snow) so have been looking at folding covers
The extang fold solid 2.0 looks like it is better built and easier to open and close than the leer trilogy
Open for suggestions concerned about snow load ,water leaks , and rough roads
Thanks

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Have. New Ram 1500 big horn and need a tonneau cover
On rough dirt roads and lots of snow and would like to be able to easily take it off
Have to be able to open tailgate with cover closed ( snow) so have been looking at folding covers
The extang fold solid 2.0 looks like it is better built and easier to open and close than the leer trilogy
Open for suggestions concerned about snow load ,water leaks , and rough roads
Thanks

Welcome to the site, hopefully someone here with a tonneau cover can comment and help you out.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I've never had a tri fold tonneau cover myself but I had put a bak roll-x solid/hard aluminum rolling cover on my truck when I first got it and I loved it. It was low profile, could handle a few hundred pounds on it so snow would never have been an issue, and it locked down the entire rail so it was very secure.

I had an issue with blocking vision from the rear window anytime having a tri fold open so I went with a solid roll up, would never get another tonneau cover I don't think

And one person open or close quick roll up no chasing around Velcro. No flapping in the wind (both reasons why many prefer the tri fold anyways)

It was kind of the best of both world's between tri fold and rolling. I'm completely unsure of your application and I've never seen either cover that you are considering but I just wanted to share.

Leer does make a very good product and they have a high volume and dollar to vest in new models so I could likely assure quality from them and a good fitment, though I'm sure the extang is probably lurk as good. Tonneau's are a tough decision and there's millions of them now which doesn't help the decision process.

But good luck with your decision and be sure to Post pics of your truck and when you get everything installed!

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
I have the Solid Fold and it is 100% spectacular.

My deal-breaker for covers was an unsightly or difficult to install rail system. That pretty much ruled any rolling covers out. The high quality rolling covers were too pricey for my budget anyhow. Most tri-fold also have a rail system, and I looked obsessively at many models and some have rail systems that are quite creative and functional. The benefit of the high-end tri fold is the ability to open the front of the bed.

Once I saw the solid fold had NO permanent (or semi-permanent) rails I was hooked. I have had it for 12 months now, not once have I wanted to access the front of the bed without rolling it up. In those 12 months I have removed the cover mid-trip dozens of times, and the ability to take the cover fully off is a real bonus for me.

The build quality is great, the price is relatively reasonable. It is heavy, but it is also very strong. It looks great on the truck - doesn't stick up too far - and does exactly what I want it to.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Well get us some pictures so we can see it and a brand/model

jo5

Oct 27, 2015
I bought the extang solid fold 2.0
solid easy to install hold a a lot of weight and looks and fits good
Going to put a extra piece of insulation (they sent me a piece) on the front bed rail. The side rail bed rails on the front corner raised about 1/4 inch
and is higher than the front rail the cover seal looks like it will take up the difference in height but I will put the piece in to raise the front rail
Didn't think I could trim the c plastic side rail corner without screwing it up Don't know why they made it like that
I'm going to like the cover Its going to do what I want The hold down latches on the rear seem better built and easier to use than the other cover

jo5

Oct 27, 2015
I bought the 2.0 solid fold extang topper for my 2015 ram
If you drive on dirt roads " Don't buy it "
You can't keep it from moving around
Called extang when it first napped Andy said the is normal and to just reposition it and not to overtighten it
Moved ahead yesterday and hit the back of my cab Its gone
Called extang today and they said they haven't heard of this being a problem before
So much for customer service
Place I bought it from says it's common
It would be fine on the highway
Going to get another topper and it won't be a extang

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I bought the 2.0 solid fold extang topper for my 2015 ram
If you drive on dirt roads " Don't buy it "
You can't keep it from moving around
Called extang when it first napped Andy said the is normal and to just reposition it and not to overtighten it
Moved ahead yesterday and hit the back of my cab Its gone
Called extang today and they said they haven't heard of this being a problem before
So much for customer service
Place I bought it from says it's common
It would be fine on the highway
Going to get another topper and it won't be a extang
Try a bak cover

jo5

Oct 27, 2015
My son in law has a bak flip cover
Looks better now than it did

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Otherwise if you're experiencing a lot of rough roads you'll just need to find an in channel cover not one that clamps on top

jo5

Oct 27, 2015
I agree
I'm going to look into them. And replace the 2.0 as soon as I can

Stan Laurel

Aug 3, 2015
Truck Year
I have the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 and love the thing. I don't do a lot of rough road driving, and haven't had a single issue with it. It looks great, is strong and so far waterproof. The whole thing comes off if you need the full bed. Maybe it's not a good option if you drive rough roads often, IDK. But for me, it's a big-time winner.

jo5

Oct 27, 2015
Moving around on rough roads is the only problem lve had otherwise been a good cover
Going to tighten it up this weekend and watch it
Going in for surgery so after this trip won't be using it for a while give me time to decide
Thanks everyone for your replies

SimpleManRam

Mar 31, 2016
Truck Year
I have the Gator EVO Bi-fold and it has been working out great. It was a litte cheaper than the bakflip.

jo5

Oct 27, 2015
I'll look into them
Not happy with what I have
Thought I spent a lot of time researching it but must not have

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I'll look into them
Not happy with what I have
Thought I spent a lot of time researching it but must not have
Or you got the one bad apple

Buggy-Bumpers

Feb 21, 2016
Truck Year
I've got the Extang 2.0 and not really overly excited about it. I should have stayed with the tried and true Fold-A-Cover. I had one on my 2003 Ram 3500 QC SB 4X4. Even having to replace the hinge covers after many years was not bad. It is a better system, maybe a bit harder to take off but well worth it.
Does anyone want to buy a slightly used Extang????

jo5

Oct 27, 2015
Extang emailed and want to help me get a cover that better fits my needs
They contacted the company I got it from and asked them to work with me
Called them and they are going to help me get another cover
He's being more than fair with with the arrangements
So alls going to work out ok
That's for the info everyone here gave me

Day Trippin

Jul 20, 2016
Truck Year
Buggy-Bumpers - where are you located? I might be interested if not too far away. What don't you like about it?

I have been thinking about the Fold-a-cover G4 elite but I heard the install was a real PITA. I also the rear tailgate seal can be an issue if you often use the cover without opening the tailgate. Everything else about it seems like what I am looking for other than it doesn't seem to be real easy to take off if you need access to the entire bed.

Fritter

Oct 1, 2016
Truck Year
Anyone buy the new leer trilogy x2t? It has pinch release and rail system.