• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HD Diesel Supply -Delete Kit

hossman

Oct 3, 2019
Truck Year
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this Canadian companies diesel delete kit. It seems to be a lot of these companies are going away and this is the best one I can find. The GDE hot tune is no longer available and sounds like it never will be. Your help is sure appreciated I bought my 2015 RAM eco diesel three months ago.

It's $2100 and includes ECU they will send to you.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
welcome 2 the group money. American or Canadian it is a little expensive do they give u a kit for the egr and a ecu outright there r quire a few tuners in Canada go on the Canadian part of the web pages ang ask around

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I went on the Canadian eco forum they r highly spoken of there their tune includes the exhaust also

hossman

Oct 3, 2019
Truck Year
I went on the Canadian eco forum they r highly spoken of there their tune includes the exhaust also
I live in Texas, seems like a lot of these companies no longer exist after the last two months. This seems to be the best one I have found. I don’t know if you recommend or know of a better tuner or kit.

Stevebucks

Aug 21, 2019
Truck Year
I just had my full delete done 2 weeks ago. Feels like a new truck. I paid $3100 from HD diesel out of Winnipeg. New tuned ecu, egr plugs , exhaust and new cold air intake ($425). That price included $750 that I would get back if I sent my stock ecu back. They have now recommended for me to keep it just in case I need it in the future. I opted to keep it because it makes sense. They did inform me that they don’t want the stock ecu back anymore as many people required them later and it becomes more of a problem for them They gave me back $375.
All Canadian funds.
Very happy with the entire increased performance of this engine now. Way more power thru a wide power band, and instant response as well as better fuel economy. HD diesel was great to deal with throughout !!

hossman

Oct 3, 2019
Truck Year
The results are in and I couldn't be more pleased. I bought the kit with the reprogrammed ECU and Flo Pro exhaust kit, ERG plugs, and S&P cold air intake. Did a lot of research and HD diesel supply seems to have one of the best kits. The exhaust removal took about 2 1/2 to 3 hours to remove it and install the straight pipes (the hardest part was getting at the sensor plugs to remove them). I didn't remove the EGR but I removed the tube and put plugs there, so if it does leak it will not be leaking into the intake. I have a 2015 Limited four-wheel-drive extended cab with 48,000 miles on it. The results were way better than I expected. Throttle response was immediate and it responds like a gasoline motor. Horsepower and torque went up to where it's effortless for the truck to drive down the road. I drove it 1000 miles and I got 4 MPG better then before. 28.5 MPG total. If I bought a 2020 new RAM equal diesel this would be the first thing I would do to it as I got home the first night. Very pleased it will not take long to get my money back on this.

Stevebucks

Aug 21, 2019
Truck Year
Totally agreed. I did the exact same thing and am very pleased. I removed my egr valve. Kept all of my parts just in case they need to go back on one day . Hope the hell not. My mechanic charged me $800 to do all the work including the new air intake

Ram19

Nov 2, 2019
Truck Year
FYI,
I called HD Supply & inquired if they were going to be able to offer a tune for the 2020 gen-3. The guy I talked to said I was the first person to ask about the gen-3. He said if they do, it will be at least six months before they have one developed. I took that to mean probably a year from now or possibly never. Something to keep in mind if your considering a gen-3. Due to what's happened here with the EPA, it's looking like any ecodiesel tunes will be coming from outside of the USA.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
The encryption on the ECM's are getting tough as Manufactures are leaning toward OTA updates (Over the Air) to avoid to having the customer come in to the dealer for quick updates. It's getting super secure for obvious reasons, as you don't want someone to be able to update your ECM at will (hacking). The tuning industry will change drastically as technology advances... I hope OEM's still allow us customers to tune in some fashion, but it's not looking good (or cheap).

Ram19

Nov 2, 2019
Truck Year
The encryption on the ECM's are getting tough as Manufactures are leaning toward OTA updates (Over the Air) to avoid to having the customer come in to the dealer for quick updates. It's getting super secure for obvious reasons, as you don't want someone to be able to update your ECM at will (hacking). The tuning industry will change drastically as technology advances... I hope OEM's still allow us customers to tune in some fashion, but it's not looking good (or cheap).

You make some good points! I am aware that OTA updates are coming and will be the future. I see where Ford announced last week that they will be starting this service next year on an optional basis. Tesla has been doing it for awhile now. When this fully rolls out, the days of aftermarket self tuning are probably over.

With that said:

IMO:
When we are talking about the ecodiesel engines it's imperative for the manufacturer to get these engines & subsystems "right" out of the box. So far FCA hasn't proven that they can make the ED reliable & long lived without a high amount of maintenance or a constant string of recalls that has many of these trucks tied up & undrivable for days, weeks & in some cases months at a time. When you as a consumer are paying the kind of money that these trucks cost plus the premium option for the diesel engine you should have reasonable expectations that they will be long lived reliable vehicles. Unfortunately one of the biggest factors for reliability has been the EGR system both with the coolant leaks & raw exhaust sooting-up the intakes of the engine. Now these systems are posing a potential fire hazard as well.

Up until recently owners had the option of doing an aftermarket tune to turn these systems off in an effort to save their expensive engine and make it more reliable than the factory tuning could. It has always been an iffy call to do a tune from a couple of standpoints 1. It could put you in a difficult situation for tampering with an emissions system. 2. You were also possibly putting your warranty in jeopardy. I feel it's a real shame that shortly after you have laid down 4k+ for an engine that you feel you need to walk the line legally & plunk down another 1k+ in an effort to make the engine reliable & have a long life! Now that option is being taken off the table.

FCA need to get their s**t together & hopefully the gen-3 will be a better engine than the gen-2. Overall the gen-2 is a good engine & for the most part it is the subsystem bolt-on components & their associated sensors that give the most problems.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
You make some good points! I am aware that OTA updates are coming and will be the future. I see where Ford announced last week that they will be starting this service next year on an optional basis. Tesla has been doing it for awhile now. When this fully rolls out, the days of aftermarket self tuning are probably over.

With that said:

IMO:
When we are talking about the ecodiesel engines it's imperative for the manufacturer to get these engines & subsystems "right" out of the box. So far FCA hasn't proven that they can make the ED reliable & long lived without a high amount of maintenance or a constant string of recalls that has many of these trucks tied up & undrivable for days, weeks & in some cases months at a time. When you as a consumer are paying the kind of money that these trucks cost plus the premium option for the diesel engine you should have reasonable expectations that they will be long lived reliable vehicles. Unfortunately one of the biggest factors for reliability has been the EGR system both with the coolant leaks & raw exhaust sooting-up the intakes of the engine. Now these systems are posing a potential fire hazard as well.

Up until recently owners had the option of doing an aftermarket tune to turn these systems off in an effort to save their expensive engine and make it more reliable than the factory tuning could. It has always been an iffy call to do a tune from a couple of standpoints 1. It could put you in a difficult situation for tampering with an emissions system. 2. You were also possibly putting your warranty in jeopardy. I feel it's a real shame that shortly after you have laid down 4k+ for an engine that you feel you need to walk the line legally & plunk down another 1k+ in an effort to make the engine reliable & have a long life! Now that option is being taken off the table.

FCA need to get their s**t together & hopefully the gen-3 will be a better engine than the gen-2. Overall the gen-2 is a good engine & for the most part it is the subsystem bolt-on components & their associated sensors that give the most problems.

Everything you said is 100% true! Now that they have competition with Ford and GM offering a half-ton diesel, I'm afraid the EcoDiesel market share will slip with the bad (but true) rep it's getting out there. Not to mention the fires, we see at least 1 a week burn down now.

Stevebucks

Aug 21, 2019
Truck Year
Everything you said is 100% true! Now that they have competition with Ford and GM offering a half-ton diesel, I'm afraid the EcoDiesel market share will slip with the bad (but true) rep it's getting out there. Not to mention the fires, we see at least 1 a week burn down now.

Windowguy

Nov 15, 2019
Truck Year
Hey guys,

I found these guys - www.darknight.ca they are also in Canada (Ontario). Saw a positive review on another Ram diesel site and sent them an email. They offer a tune and a complete delete kit. They do not recommend the Eco Diesel for the average owner due to the issues with this engine, they sent an email back with good reasons.

My truck is a 2015 with 89k kms and I already went through two engines. My warranty is about to expire and I think I will sell before it does. I am very disappointed with the engine problems that I had (bearings both times). Truck on paper was a great idea. Full size truck, practical with a low fuel usage diesel engine. I still like the truck but I am scared of big bills down the road.

Rob.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
try HD diesel supply out of Winnipeg they r highly recommended by many for the eco

Jhoward7285

Nov 28, 2019
Truck Year
The results are in and I couldn't be more pleased. I bought the kit with the reprogrammed ECU and Flo Pro exhaust kit, ERG plugs, and S&P cold air intake. Did a lot of research and HD diesel supply seems to have one of the best kits. The exhaust removal took about 2 1/2 to 3 hours to remove it and install the straight pipes (the hardest part was getting at the sensor plugs to remove them). I didn't remove the EGR but I removed the tube and put plugs there, so if it does leak it will not be leaking into the intake. I have a 2015 Limited four-wheel-drive extended cab with 48,000 miles on it. The results were way better than I expected. Throttle response was immediate and it responds like a gasoline motor. Horsepower and torque went up to where it's effortless for the truck to drive down the road. I drove it 1000 miles and I got 4 MPG better then before. 28.5 MPG total. If I bought a 2020 new RAM equal diesel this would be the first thing I would do to it as I got home the first night. Very pleased it will not take long to get my money back on this.

With this kit how is the soot out of the tailpipe? As a new owner of a used Ecodiesel that is already at the dealer for the egr cooler failing and melting the intake over thanksgiving weekend I am now considering going this route. My main dilemma is that with all of the recent crack downs regarding removal I don’t want to get pulled over if it’s easy to tell from just normal driving. I also have no intention of rolling coal, just want the functional and reliable truck I thought I was buying.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
u get soot right 2 the tips of the pipe but no heavy black smoke if u mash the pedal u will get back smoke