• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How many miles on your ecodiesel and have you had any problems?

Veefer99

Feb 7, 2019
Truck Year
Just talked to the service rep and they will reimburse the payment for the recall software update. I'll get my $120+ tax back.

KnikAK

Mar 21, 2019
Truck Year
I have a '18 Laramie CC 4x4 with the longer box with 8,900 miles. Had dead pedal fix in Cali, an update was done. Timing cover leak re-sealed, sun roof adjusted, another update, truck sat at the dealer over a month waiting on parts! Extended warranty put me in a brand new Jeep Cherokee with the 4 cyl engine. What a turd, can't imagine someone living with such a loud engine. My '03 3500 w/Cummins is quieter.
After the latest update the truck runs the strongest it ever has. It was like holy s$it! Most times you mash the pedal from dead stop & she goes. I noticed it's using DEF rather quickly with latest updates. The soon to be famous EGR recall abortion. I hear all the stories of folks getting great mileage. I rarely drive above 65 mph, easy on the throttle, basically trying to get the best MPG. Can't find the records, but 1 tank was just under 24 MPG on the drive back to Alaska. I'm usually getting 20-21 MPG. My lowest was around 16.5 which was my last tank. Not sure if my current tank is going to do any better. My truck was plugged in 4 hrs prior to starting & quit letting it idle longer than 5 minutes, just enough to melt windshield ice. I'm aware it reduces mileage. If my truck is running stronger, is it at the expense of declining fuel mileage?
I do like my truck, it's comfortable to drive and doesn't pound my spine like my '03 does. After 4 back surgeries, thought I would stuck with driving my '96 Caprice 9c1 with 58k original miles with a tuned LT1 350 the rest of my life. My '18 was a pleasure to drive on the trip back to Alaska. Soon as the recall is done, will be heading back down the Alcan. Not sure if I would buy the new EcoDiesel or not...

Last edited:

jsasada81

Apr 5, 2020
Truck Year
2018 Laramie Crew 4x4 6'4 bed 3.55 rear
43,xxx miles. No issues.

Avg mpg 18.1, but that is almost strictly towing some type of load. Boat, jetskis, lawn trailer, etc. Hardly ever drive the truck unloaded. That is what the Jetta TDI is for!

Not tuned, but will be as soon as I get my new GDE file back

gofishingup

Sep 2, 2019
Truck Year
OH BOY ! I didn't find anything serious in regards to complaints when researching the Eco diesel . I test drove a couple and LOVED it ! Did some serious shopping around. Purchased a 2016 Ram Big horn crew cab. I mean I just purchased the truck so I have no miles to speak of ! Are these problems related to any particular years ? Have they made any changes to the current year trucks ? Anybody here had problems with the 2016's ? I'm not feeling so well ....
Hate to disclose the bad news but all the eco diesels are junk.

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
Hate to disclose the bad news but all the eco diesels are junk.
I own a 2016, bought it new. After the dealer over filled the truck three times after I had the oil changed I began working on my own truck. I bought a GDE old ECM tune about two years ago. I run Amsoil 5W40 Diesel engine oil. I have 46 K on the truck. Sometimes I drive it hard and sometimes I cruise. So far I have ZERO PROBLEMS with the truck. So of the known problem with the truck are; 1. The EGR has been known to crack and leak. The GDE Tuned ECM mostly take care of this. I would tell you to make sure that you keep an eye on the level of the coolant in the coolant tank . When this level starts dropping at a fast level your EGR may be going bad.

Kpompey

Aug 24, 2019
Truck Year
2015 big horn. 90k miles. got gde tune around 60k miles. only real problem so far was a low oil pressure light which sent the tuck into limp mode. the dealership said it was an issue with the harness which they replaced. I am thinking of going with the hemi when the extended warranty runs out.

Peteh

Nov 11, 2020
Truck Year
80,000 miles on a ram bighorn, nothing but fuel and filters, changing trans fluid at next oil change.

Peteh

Nov 11, 2020
Truck Year
Completely stock! And I will keep it that way,! Pull’s as good as my old 5.7 vortex 1997 gmc, way, way better than the 2007 5.3 GMC I traded in for it.

SOMD_ECO

Jun 25, 2020
Truck Year
I wanted to take a quick poll and ask how many miles do you have and if you have any problems?

I have 15000 miles but no problems. I'm happy with my ecodiesel so far!!
I have a 2018 with 35.5k miles. I had put 33k of those miles on in the first 18 months prior to COVID. I just had the EGR recall done. Had to have a glow plug replaced under warranty but otherwise I've been very happy with it. Prior to COVID I had a 100 mile round trip commute 3 days per week and was getting 26-27 mpg with the GDE tune. I put the tune on around 10k miles.

Mssmith11

Nov 25, 2020
Truck Year
2018 Ram Laramie 4x4 with 42k miles, stock equipment. DEF just went out and dealer doesn’t have the part. Been trying for 8 months for EGR recall because “dealer doesn’t have the parts”. I see a pattern. They say I’m on “the list”. Must be damn long to take 8 months to get to me.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
2018 Ram Laramie 4x4 with 42k miles, stock equipment. DEF just went out and dealer doesn’t have the part. Been trying for 8 months for EGR recall because “dealer doesn’t have the parts”. I see a pattern. They say I’m on “the list”. Must be damn long to take 8 months to get to me.
My only concern with FCA is the lack of logistical support in the parts department.

SOMD_ECO

Jun 25, 2020
Truck Year
My only concern with FCA is the lack of logistical support in the parts department.
I've only had my Ram 2 years but I wonder has it always been like this? I'm guessing having the biggest sales year ever and then supply chain issues due to COVID might be part of the problem?