• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How many miles on your Ecodiesel ??

Shvlhd

Apr 22, 2019
Truck Year
2017 192,000miles
bought new 2/18
Leaking egr at 70k
GDE tune at 120k
95+% towing
No other problems, zero, nada!

chuckkirk

Sep 27, 2019
Truck Year
2016 with 104000 km EGR cooler
will be covered under the recall but they have no idea when the parts will be here
the truck will be living at the dealership for awhile

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I've lost count on the times I mentioned the 3.0VM does OK in HWY use.

Also claiming that tuned VM 3.0 , that the engine should get credit is unacceptable, If it was Not tune what is the life expectancy?

VM should not get credit for what other did to make their short comings & corrections, I know of 1000s 5.9,6.7,6.6 pickups well over 300K OEM with just routine Service, many over 500K ALL CAA complaint.

The Term Ecodiesel should NOT be used when tuned, its No longer legal on Americas roadways ( certainly not Eco friendly) and when its tuned it should be termed VM3.0.

I do support Tuning any VM 3.0 in long term ownership.

donaldus

Apr 28, 2019
Truck Year
throttle disconnect @ 9k. fan and fuse failure 12k. leaking fuel lines 28k. Don’t drive it much...waiting on legal settlement.

rhirshberg

Dec 23, 2019
Truck Year
74,000 miles
Defective EGR Cooler - Coolant loss.., Got lucky and dealer got a new EGR after 8 days, but it is still the old EGR and will likely fail again.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
114K miles and finally the DEF tank level sensor has gone south, shooting code. Called my dealer to schedule a date, 1/2/2020, and confirm that they had necessary parts. Acknowledged parts in stock just needed time slot with tech. Estimate two days.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
114K miles and finally the DEF tank level sensor has gone south, shooting code. Called my dealer to schedule a date, 1/2/2020, and confirm that they had necessary parts. Acknowledged parts in stock just needed time slot with tech. Estimate two days.
Update. Successful transplant of new DEF tank. Three day total. Cost covered under AEM extended warranty. The tech notes indicated a very good check sequence occurred with a visual inspection for crystal formation at fill neck, sensor area and scan tool for input and output before a new part installed. Double checked myself with a top off of tank and immediate gauge response to full.

julian locatelli

Apr 5, 2020
Truck Year
83k New engine under the warranty as I type this, I bought it with 63k July 2019 7 months ago overheated and ear faliure replace under warranty 4 weeks ago P04db triggered the engine light to come on, no oil on the coolant but the mpg dropped from 17.5 to 14 around tow and light overheating up hills to abut 219 degrees, dealer condemned the main computer as a protocol step from Ram but, the tech said it may need it an engine, new computer didn't fixed and tech found coolant on cylinder 6. ram aproved a new engine replacement at no cost thank god!!! the truck came with a transferable molar warranty until 2023 or 120k with a $200 deductible.
now jus wondering how should I start maintenance from zero miles engine eany suggestion is appreciated
!! cheers Julian Locatelli
ps: I used edt at every full tank and occasional b20 fuel tank

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
83k New engine under the warranty as I type this, I bought it with 63k July 2019 7 months ago overheated and ear faliure replace under warranty 4 weeks ago P04db triggered the engine light to come on, no oil on the coolant but the mpg dropped from 17.5 to 14 around tow and light overheating up hills to abut 219 degrees, dealer condemned the main computer as a protocol step from Ram but, the tech said it may need it an engine, new computer didn't fixed and tech found coolant on cylinder 6. ram aproved a new engine replacement at no cost thank god!!! the truck came with a transferable molar warranty until 2023 or 120k with a $200 deductible.
now jus wondering how should I start maintenance from zero miles engine eany suggestion is appreciated
I was told change oil at 6-8k max, fuel filter at 15k intervals

julian locatelli

Apr 5, 2020
Truck Year
I was told change oil at 6-8k max, fuel filter at 15k intervals
hey trempe126 I notice that you have the Sofa tune, how do ou like it?I have a pedal commender and it helps with the lag but unfortunately I can't use with cruise control under ecomode for better mpgs so it really is only for the pedal lag.I wish I could get the GDE flashed comp here in California but they won't sell to us, bummer.

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
Julian I copied this from another thread.
IMO best thing to do to get the 2014 thru 2020 gen 2 ED in the 4th gen body to live its full life, aside from normal oil & Mopar fuel filter changes is to get a basic aftermarket tune. One that turns off EGR to get your engine running clean mostly by eliminating re-ingesting clogging soot & diesel asphaltene hard particles. Plus better fuel economy more power and options including an engine brake. Such as this link; https://hddieselsupply.ca/i-3164307...ne-hand-held-device.html?ref=category:1334979

Eventually the EGR cooler will also start to leak. Hot exhaust still goes through the EGR cooler even when the EGR is turned off. Disappearing coolant from your degass tank aka overflow bottle will be the main confirmation of this. Cheaper simpler and more permanent than replacing an EGR cooler that you no longer need and that unnecessarily taxes the cooling system is a simple EGR cooler delete kit such as this link: https://noecodelete.com/product/no-eco-egr-delete-kit/

However I would not recommend doing the EGR cooler delete until post drivetrain warranty at least not if you don't yet have disappearing coolant. Theoretically the tune could be used to void warranty as well. Historically & practically speaking not so much.

I believe the EGR cooler leak is what caused the low coolant excessive heat pressure & steam that led to the head gasket failing on my first motor at 371,000. At the time I was towing a TT and didn't realize I was low on coolant. So keep an eye on the coolant level in your degass tank and don't let it below the seam. If you have to add coolant more than once to keep it at or above the seam you likely have an EGR cooler starting to leak. This is often missed as it leaks internally and what isn't steamed if it does that or evaporated comes out your tailpipes so there is no leak puddles to find. The 2nd motor is going strong at 292,000 towing TTs across the country daily. Buddy James has 340,000 on his ED doing the same. I believe you remove the root EGR problems that you can have an engine that lives a normal light duty diesel engine life. Even when regularly used to tow to the rated limits of your particular ED engine equipped vehicle.

The 3rd gen ED in the 5th gen body has both a largely revamped engine with 80 percent new parts and a completely redesigned emission system. The Gen 2 ED emissions system was an add on to an existing engine that was designed to work with European emissions systems. I wouldn't expect the new EDs with a from the ground up designed in & integrated emissions system to suffer the same ailments as the first one. FYI my truck now has 663,000 with the original transmission and I hope to keep working it to a million miles. Time will tell. Hope you enjoy your truck as much as I have mine.

julian locatelli

Apr 5, 2020
Truck Year
Julian I copied this from another thread.
IMO best thing to do to get the 2014 thru 2020 gen 2 ED in the 4th gen body to live its full life, aside from normal oil & Mopar fuel filter changes is to get a basic aftermarket tune. One that turns off EGR to get your engine running clean mostly by eliminating re-ingesting clogging soot & diesel asphaltene hard particles. Plus better fuel economy more power and options including an engine brake. Such as this link; https://hddieselsupply.ca/i-3164307...ne-hand-held-device.html?ref=category:1334979

Eventually the EGR cooler will also start to leak. Hot exhaust still goes through the EGR cooler even when the EGR is turned off. Disappearing coolant from your degass tank aka overflow bottle will be the main confirmation of this. Cheaper simpler and more permanent than replacing an EGR cooler that you no longer need and that unnecessarily taxes the cooling system is a simple EGR cooler delete kit such as this link: https://noecodelete.com/product/no-eco-egr-delete-kit/

However I would not recommend doing the EGR cooler delete until post drivetrain warranty at least not if you don't yet have disappearing coolant. Theoretically the tune could be used to void warranty as well. Historically & practically speaking not so much.

I believe the EGR cooler leak is what caused the low coolant excessive heat pressure & steam that led to the head gasket failing on my first motor at 371,000. At the time I was towing a TT and didn't realize I was low on coolant. So keep an eye on the coolant level in your degass tank and don't let it below the seam. If you have to add coolant more than once to keep it at or above the seam you likely have an EGR cooler starting to leak. This is often missed as it leaks internally and what isn't steamed if it does that or evaporated comes out your tailpipes so there is no leak puddles to find. The 2nd motor is going strong at 292,000 towing TTs across the country daily. Buddy James has 340,000 on his ED doing the same. I believe you remove the root EGR problems that you can have an engine that lives a normal light duty diesel engine life. Even when regularly used to tow to the rated limits of your particular ED engine equipped vehicle.

The 3rd gen ED in the 5th gen body has both a largely revamped engine with 80 percent new parts and a completely redesigned emission system. The Gen 2 ED emissions system was an add on to an existing engine that was designed to work with European emissions systems. I wouldn't expect the new EDs with a from the ground up designed in & integrated emissions system to suffer the same ailments as the first one. FYI my truck now has 663,000 with the original transmission and I hope to keep working it to a million miles. Time will tell. Hope you enjoy your truck as much as I have mine.

Wow, Thank you so much for taking the time with this great info!!! I am not sure what to do because The only problem I see is that living in California I can't delete the egr as I was told from the previous owner that once the ego is deleted it won't pass smog. So, I am sorry to sound ignorant but is the runner deletes the EGR electronically that can be turn back on on demand so the dealer won't know or involves taking parts off the truck?
also how about this catch can I keep reading about it? do you have one? again , thank you so much for you help!
Sincerely, Julian locatelli

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
I think you need a tune that illuminates the EGR which I believe is the majority of your problems. I personally like GDE tunes, but there are other tunes out there. If you don’t get a GDE tune make sure whatever tune you get turns off your EGR. My second suggestion would be to run Amsoil diesel 5W -40 engine oil and drive it like you stole it.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Julian,
Here is another tuner similar to the one that Vern posted except this one is in Nevada, the other is in Canada.
And yes, with either tuner you can easily return the tune to stock and when the dealer visit is over easily put the tune back in.
I am using both SFTs engine (ECU) and tranny (TCU) tunes for over a year and very satisfied as are many others. A bonus is they are currently on sale (much less than the Canadian tuner).
Click here to visit their site and learn a lot ---- SFT tuning

EDIT:
To comment on the above post, GDE has no tune available. When they get their "compliance" tune approved it will not turn off the EGR. The above mentioned tunes will turn off the EGR.
And, you do not need Amsoil. Ram recommends Shell Rotella T-6, 5w-40 which is excellent oil that most Ecodiesel owners use.

Last edited:

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
I have a 2016 with 46 k on it , GDE tune installed at about 28k. No problems with the engine at this time.

julian locatelli

Apr 5, 2020
Truck Year
Julian,
Here is another tuner similar to the one that Vern posted except this one is in Nevada, the other is in Canada.
And yes, with either tuner you can easily return the tune to stock and when the dealer visit is over easily put the tune back in.
I am using both SFTs engine (ECU) and tranny (TCU) tunes for over a year and very satisfied as are many others. A bonus is they are currently on sale (much less than the Canadian tuner).
Click here to visit their site and learn a lot ---- SFT tuning
Thank you very much John.