• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Leaking oil filter housing after oil change

Andy

Mar 18, 2016
Truck Year
image.jpeg Hello EcoDiesel owners! I have noticed that after changing my oil( done by me and done by the book and other helpful online videos) there is a leak right by the oil filter housing. I keep wiping it off and after a short drive, the oil is present again, as shown in the picture. Has anyone else had that happening? Any advises ? Thank you!

John

Nov 13, 2015
Is the o-ring in the groove itself like it should be? (the one on the cover itself)

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
OEM filter or aftermarket?

Andy

Mar 18, 2016
Truck Year
It's my second oil change. I used all OEM parts, I made sure that the O-ring is seated right in the groove and not twisted, I also made sure to lubricate it with some fresh oil. It leaked a little bit after my first oil change, but it stopped after a couple of days. This time it seems to be a lot worse.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Seems like it could only be the o-ring not sealing, maybe it's a defective o-ring.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Seems like it could only be the o-ring not sealing, maybe it's a defective o-ring.

I agree. Unless the filter head is warped and it's not making a good seal...or the filter is just defective (not a good seal, etc). Not much else that can be wrong.

Andy

Mar 18, 2016
Truck Year
The truck is dealer bound tomorrow to figure out why is idling rough when cold, so I'll have them check the oil leak too. I'll keep you guys posted.

Buggy-Bumpers

Feb 21, 2016
Truck Year
I was told that on these engines the oil change takes a while to perform. Something about after pulling the drain plug that you have to let it sit and drain for 45 minutes then let it sit for a while after the initial fill of oil. They said it takes about 3 hours to do one??? Seems a little odd to me and they want about $180 to do an oil change.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
$180 is cheaper then what my dealer wanted, although still a good bit higher then DIY. Oil change is simple. Does take a lil while for 10.5qts to drain tho. But 3 hrs is just false.

Last edited:

Andy

Mar 18, 2016
Truck Year
I was told that on these engines the oil change takes a while to perform. Something about after pulling the drain plug that you have to let it sit and drain for 45 minutes then let it sit for a while after the initial fill of oil. They said it takes about 3 hours to do one??? Seems a little odd to me and they want about $180 to do an oil change.
It does take a while for all the oil to drain. Not your typical Jiffy Lube stop. I removed the oil drain plug and let it drain while i was replacing my fuel filter. Just fyi do not wait more than 10-12k miles to replace the fuel filter. I only use very good quality diesel from the same station and my fuel filter was filthy at 17k. Also I noticed that it is 10.5 quarts oil capacity , but I only aded 9.5 and it showed full on the dip stick. One more quart and it would have been overfilled.

Mar 13, 2016
Truck Year
It does take a while for all the oil to drain. Not your typical Jiffy Lube stop. I removed the oil drain plug and let it drain while i was replacing my fuel filter. Just fyi do not wait more than 10-12k miles to replace the fuel filter. I only use very good quality diesel from the same station and my fuel filter was filthy at 17k. Also I noticed that it is 10.5 quarts oil capacity , but I only aded 9.5 and it showed full on the dip stick. One more quart and it would have been overfilled.

Andy, did you check the oil level before or after the engine was started. If you checked it before starting the engine, the oil wasn't in the oil filter yet. I'm not sure what the filter capacity is.

Andy

Mar 18, 2016
Truck Year
Andy, did you check the oil level before or after the engine was started. If you checked it before starting the engine, the oil wasn't in the oil filter yet. I'm not sure what the filter capacity is.
I did check it before and after. After the engine was started and ran for a couple of minutes, I stopped it and checked the level after a few minutes. With my first oil change I put 10.5 in there and after running the engine, the level was about1/4 inch above max, so I had to drain about a quart before it was at the normal level. But that is just my experience, so if you had 10.5 quarts in there it is a good idea to recheck it.

Mar 13, 2016
Truck Year
I did check it before and after. After the engine was started and ran for a couple of minutes, I stopped it and checked the level after a few minutes. With my first oil change I put 10.5 in there and after running the engine, the level was about1/4 inch above max, so I had to drain about a quart before it was at the normal level. But that is just my experience, so if you had 10.5 quarts in there it is a good idea to recheck it.

I will defiantly keep that in mind whenever I get mine and do my first oil change.

John

Nov 13, 2015
IMO, If you drain all of the oil & replace the filter, put 10.5 quarts back in regardless of what the dipstick reads.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Mine reads right on the money after adding 10 1/3-10 1-2. Don't even check the dipstick until a few days to be honest.

TrevorB

Sep 12, 2018
Truck Year
View attachment 609 Hello EcoDiesel owners! I have noticed that after changing my oil( done by me and done by the book and other helpful online videos) there is a leak right by the oil filter housing. I keep wiping it off and after a short drive, the oil is present again, as shown in the picture. Has anyone else had that happening? Any advises ? Thank you!

Andy did you ever get this figured out? Have the same problem! Thanks

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
@jdn112011 thag was the exact problem! Thanks for the info! Guess I’ll change my own oil from now on!
That's the way to go! Was it dealer service or a individual Shop that did it wrong?