• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My adventure with SofaKingTuned

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Update!

Another 280 miles on the tune before i decided to top off. This tank I had 30 miles with around 400-500 pounds in the bed. And another ~100 with my 7x12 enclosed v nose with 7’ ceiling at around 3000 pounds. Driving with the trailer is pretty aggressive as people like to ride beside me for some damn reason so it’s a lot of 70mph in a 55 zone to avoid people at my sides. Tank said 17 on the evic, hand calculated was 15.5. Same circumstances before tune would have yielded 13-15. This tank will have a trailer again for 15 miles. Equippment for 20 miles and possibly duct work with the toneau cover rolled up so tailgate drag will be a new variable. On the plus side my trailer is fun to pull since turbo lag is gone I can hit the gas and go!! I attached a pic from last summer of truck and trailer for reference as to size. 6C92F69F-2C95-41AE-8205-F3A4BB4E2317.jpeg312AB2F3-5EA5-4949-8759-881EB8BDA057.jpeg

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
UPDATE.

Back from the Bahamas. Truck was plugged in and fired right up. Pulled the trailer 10 miles, did awesome! Can’t wait to see what 2020 has in store for my eco

KnowFear

Nov 28, 2019
Truck Year
So far with my tune here in MN I'm averaging 22 (hand calculated at fill ups) with 80% highway @ 70-75 mph. When I go 60-65 I get 26 mpg according to the instant on the computer vs my 22-23 @ 70-75.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
UPDATE

Another 400 miles on the tune.

filled up and hand calculated 20 mpg evic says 19.1! Hopefully I can get a tank without any towing!!

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
With my GDE and pulling my 28ft Toyhauler Travel Trailer I am averaging 14mpg. Set cruise at 65mph and enjoy. When I pulled the same load to Montana with stock PCM, pre AEM, I averaged 13mpg, but suffered a few down rating due to heat in the high passes and could not even begin to think about cruise control. The new ease of pull and lower engine temps, got oil cooler working properly so now lower oil temps, it is a much nicer ride.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
UPDATE.

1500 miles on the tune!

1. I wish the trans would stay in the gears a little longer. It feels to me as if it’s shifting a bit premature. That being said I’m averaging around 20 mpg hand calculated and 18.5 on the evic. NOW this could be because my speedometer isn’t calibrated for 35’s so the truck is thinking the 33’s need to shift sooner but my 35’s are playing with it. I’ll calibrate speedometer eventually.

2. My regents are still growing apart. I’m regening about 165 miles apart now compared to 120 apart.

3.Mileage seems to always include pulling a trailer for a few miles, but it’s definitely better than stock!

4. My favorite part of this tune other than my egr being MIA is the fact that I can punch the “gas” pedal and at a dead stop I can spin my 35’s off the line and get thrown back in the seat. I was hesitant to purchase a tune as I felt my truck performed well. ALSO I have NOT had the AEM done so I cannot attest to how that changes performance.

These are simply my opinions, observances, and feelings towards my tune. Would I buy it again? Yes yes yes. Had I known exactly how much of a difference the tunes would make to my truck, I would have bought it after I left the dealership. I put around 20k on my truck stock and 1500 on it with a tune and I’m a lot happier since the decision to tune!2FB6C3FD-30B7-49E1-A46A-4D0581F22FC3.png

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Great reporting, I have the SFT trans tune also with stock size tires and the thing that jumps out at me is the downshifting coming up to a stop light or sign. The trans does seem a little more active also. My engine is GDE tuned..

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The distance on Regen not the best way to gage Health, The Material the DPF is made of can easily live at 2000F+ for 1000s of Active regens, I would rather have Regen occurring frequently.

The only way to stop soot in Dsl is NOT to produce it. Dart driving creates soot while HWY driving reduces soot.

Gas CAT's idle temp is 800/1000F and underload can reach 1800F, Your DPF will never see the life Gas CAT's live their entire life.

IMO frequent Regen's will increase DPF Life. That's why I recommend Stationary De-sooting 1 to 2 Times yearly or once every 10K miles or at service intervals.

My best guess on Fuel use on 3.0 for Active regen is 10-12oz Per 20 minutes, Stationary 14-20oz.

Green Diesel

Nov 17, 2015
Truck Year
The distance on Regen not the best way to gage Health, The Material the DPF is made of can easily live at 2000F+ for 1000s of Active regens, I would rather have Regen occurring frequently.

The only way to stop soot in Dsl is NOT to produce it. Dart driving creates soot while HWY driving reduces soot.

Gas CAT's idle temp is 800/1000F and underload can reach 1800F, Your DPF will never see the life Gas CAT's live their entire life.

IMO frequent Regen's will increase DPF Life. That's why I recommend Stationary De-sooting 1 to 2 Times yearly or once every 10K miles or at service intervals.

My best guess on Fuel use on 3.0 for Active regen is 10-12oz Per 20 minutes, Stationary 14-20oz.

Distance between regens is the best method of determining how much soot the engine is producing. A refined engine calibration designed to reduce soot formation will not need to regen as often. Stock tune makes a lot of soot and averages a regen every 75-160 miles. The GDE tune reduces soot formation by 80% vs. stock. Thus it takes many more miles to fill the dpf to the point where a regen is needed.The threshold for a regen is based on loading of 5 grams/liter and the dpf is roughly 5.5 l in volume. The equates to 28 grams of soot mass in the dpf when a regen starts.

More frequent regens lead to higher levels of fuel in the engine oil, this is generally not good for engine life. More frequent regens also leads to a faster rate of ash accumulation. Once ash reaches a critical value, the dpf is junk.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
GDE, I see your point, You just cannot assume what driving habits owners have.

Hmm I doubt YOU reduce Soot creation by 80% VS OEM, Soot formation would be at best a Guess , I would agree turning off the EGR will diffidently reduce soot intake 80%+ IMO.

I have Stationary de-sooted My Eco up to 3 times at almost every service interval, even after foaming My intake here are the results.

Attachments

• 15 RAM 1500-180512 (002).pdf
    29.3 KB · Views: 36

Green Diesel

Nov 17, 2015
Truck Year
We use a weighscale in development for dpf sootloading. It is very accurate and the same device Ford, GM, etc. use when developing the soot model inside the calibration. Our field and customer data fall right in line with the 80% soot reduction. EGR will has some effect to soot formation, but the pilot injection events (timing and quantity) have a much larger affect on soot formation. This is how soot can be reduced so much.

The ecodiesel community will be shocked when our EPA/CARB certified tunes are released in the next 3-4 months. The factory did such a poor job.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I hope things go we'll for GDE, If combustion soot can be reduced that much the plenum will not need servicing until 100K+ miles.

Current 3.0VM owners will have additional player in the Tuning world.

I hate VM, Why Fait Bosch jump in bed with that company still baffle's Me. Billion's $ in losses and still VM claims nothing wrong.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Distance between regens is the best method of determining how much soot the engine is producing. A refined engine calibration designed to reduce soot formation will not need to regen as often. Stock tune makes a lot of soot and averages a regen every 75-160 miles. The GDE tune reduces soot formation by 80% vs. stock. Thus it takes many more miles to fill the dpf to the point where a regen is needed.The threshold for a regen is based on loading of 5 grams/liter and the dpf is roughly 5.5 l in volume. The equates to 28 grams of soot mass in the dpf when a regen starts.

More frequent regens lead to higher levels of fuel in the engine oil, this is generally not good for engine life. More frequent regens also leads to a faster rate of ash accumulation. Once ash reaches a critical value, the dpf is junk.

A quick note on this,
my GDE tuned truck has alerted me DPF is 80% full 3 times since installation 1511 miles ago. That tells me I am going 500 miles between regens!?

scoffman

Aug 21, 2019
Truck Year
I've only seen the regen message once on my information center display. I know they happen in the background but so i guess my question is how do you know you're going 500 miles between regens? are you tuned to display all active regens?

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
I've only seen the regen message once on my information center display. I know they happen in the background but so i guess my question is how do you know you're going 500 miles between regens? are you tuned to display all active regens?
In my situation I use the app “obd fusion” and a wireless adaptor with a monitor screen set up for dpf that I found sensors for.

Green Diesel

Nov 17, 2015
Truck Year
Only if you order the 'regen message' option. Otherwise, it always happens in the background unless there is a hardware issue.

Ronhayden

May 9, 2018
Truck Year
@Green Diesel my OBDfusion says I’m averaging 1300+ miles between regens. Does that sound like it could be accurate or should I see if maybe I have my PID incorrect

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
yes, that was one of the options with the tune