• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

oil change

Lou

Jan 31, 2016
Truck Year
I had an interesting morning today, I have a service contract on my ecodiesel. So I went to my selling dealer for an oil change, I had called yesterday and got told no appointment needed just go to the express service lane. I got there this morning and asked for an oil change on my ecodiesel and as they where writing it up I said why don't you go ahead and change the fuel filter she's got over 17,000 miles might as well do it while it's here. ( I can save the filter I have in case it jells up or plugs up some night, I try and keep spare filters on hand for everything) then the service writer says that will be $290.00, I'm saying what the hell!!! He is telling me that our trucks have two fuel filters, the one in the rear and one up on the motor and that each take an hour to change, I didn't tell him he was full of sh*t at that time, but I can sure not find any evidence of a second fuel filter, has anyone found a second fuel filter on there truck?
Then it got real interesting I believe that they put the wrong oil in my truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The following is the email I have sent to the service manager, no response as of yet to my phone message of email.

I have called you and left a voice message so this is just a follow up.
I had my 2015 RAM Ecodiesel in for an oil change this morning, after I got home and was looking
at the work order for my truck customer # 15477 invoice # DTCS35882. I see that the oil used was a 5W40 part # 5127394-PC from what I have see and read I believe that this is NOT the correct oil for this motor, it does not seem to meet or exceed the MS-11106 spec required for the ecodiesel motor. The previous oil change performed at Lia used oil 5W30 part# 68001334-PB. Do you have any literature showing the oil used today being an acceptable oil meeting the MS-11106 spec required for this diesel.

Also I was going to have the fuel filter replaced today the service writer quoted $290.00 to change the fuel filter(s), he claims that it has two with an hours labor each to change? I can only locate one filter which should be a 15 minute change???

An interesting morning at my dealership
Lou

Lou

Jan 31, 2016
Truck Year
I can and often do my own service work on my vehicles, some of them have to be done at home, tractors and plow truck ect, and I have done a couple of changes on the ecodiesel however having a service contract for four changes I didn't feel like crawling around and doing the work at 65 it's time to let the youngsters do it sometimes and I hadnt ordered the oil either.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I'd be at that dealership right now with my truck in the service lane screaming at every management figure available. Think they even put 10 quarts in if they filled with 5w40? Or did they just set it to pump 7 for the hemi?

I'd be at that dealership if I were you. Not driving it and playing an email game.

Lou

Jan 31, 2016
Truck Year
It's an hour to the dealers, I didn't catch the oil till I got home, so the truck is just sitting now till I hear back from them which had better be fairly soon, I wouldn't be surprised to see my Harley going down tomorrow and getting the proper oil and replacing it myself, I did check the level when I got home.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I hear ya

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
It seems most dealer's don't know what oil to put in the EcoDiesel. It's sad actually...

That's why you're better off doing it yourself, which as been said already. Welcome to the site Lou.

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
If they put in 5w-40 the service writer thought you had a cummins. Ive had this conversation myself when buying a fuel filter. The hemi takes 5w-20 so no worrys there. This whole thing was a misunderstanding with the service writer. Go back and explain the situation, get the service manager involved. They well make it right as long as you approach this correctly.

Lou

Jan 31, 2016
Truck Year
An update on my oil change, the technician that did the work was positive he used the correct oil, parts department was positive they billed out the oil used. So long story short I was back down there the next day for another oil change and supposedly getting two more "free oil changes" not to bad I suppose, but with my feelings about their competency, I'm not real thrilled about taking it back to them. But we will see.

CaptainMal

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
As reported - Cummins thoughts. That does have two fuel filters, unlike the Ecodiesel. It also uses conventional 15-40 diesel oil. me about $

Curious. I buy aftermarket filters for less than $20. A case of Kendall costs $75 shipped in. That also gives me some extra oil I can carry with me. It just may be the simplest and easiest oil change in the automative world to do yourself. Costs me about $90 and little more than 1/2 an hour.

Do it yourself.

Buggy-Bumpers

Feb 21, 2016
Truck Year
Personally I would stand there while they change the oil and make sure they put In the correct stuff. But that's just me.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Personally I would stand there while they change the oil and make sure they put In the correct stuff. But that's just me.

Yea, it seems like we hear all the time of the dealers not using the correct oil. Such a simple task to check and they can't get that right...

SLT

Mar 28, 2016
Truck Year
I just changed my Oil for the first time.(3400km). Used Mopar Filter and Pennzoil Euro L. Oil came out black but no visible contamination.
Opened the Filter, very few tiny Metal specks inside, looked good. Still cost me $172. but I know it is done properly
Now I will keep an eye on the Oil Monitor and see what it tells me. I'm happy with the Truck so far. Towing my 23ft 5th Wheel RV Trailer
14.5 L/100 km - 19.5 Mi per Imp Gal..

u130747

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
Might want to change oil again. FCA just changed oil spec to synthetic Rotella 5W-40. Check out revised diesel supplement online.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Might want to change oil again. FCA just changed oil spec to synthetic Rotella 5W-40. Check out revised diesel supplement online.
Yep. Oil changes just got significantly cheaper!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Seriously?

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Anyone have a link? I can't find it

u130747

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
Yep!!!

We recommend you use 5W-40 synthetic engine oil such
as MOPAR or Shell Rotella that meets FCA Material
Standard MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 or ACEA E9/E7 or
ACEA A3/B4 engine oil category is required.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I guess I kind of new this I just didn't realize the weight would change. As previously stated here when I went through what I did with champion oils they informed me that they had designed the high performance Blue flame diesel oil specifically for the change coming in 2017 trucks to be cj-4 compliant. I just didn't realize it would back date and change the weight even on our trucks