• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil in coolant.

grayghost

Aug 12, 2016
Truck Year
I am going to use Amsoil as the now have CJ4 compliant oil for the ED. I used it in my 99 Ram and it was fantastic. I dropped the pan at 149000 miles and there was no sludge.

upload_2016-8-14_17-59-42.png

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
Many have asked the sample will be full of sodium ,Not necessarily, OIL PSI is much higher then coolant Pressure if caught soon only the coolant will be contaminate, If the sample contains high levels wear material's replace engine ... But if sodium is found most likely the Oil exchanger was weeping maybe weeks before complete failure...So wear resulted prior to failure and this should be covered with complete engine and all supporting hardware under warranty.

The only way to know 100% if sodium is found is to remove engine and inspect Cam, Bearings Rod/Main and all rotating mass for wear.

My thoughts exactly. While I don't know the exact oil PSI at the oil cooler, it should be much higher than the coolant pressure, meaning this contamination is only one-way: oil->coolant. Not a huge deal. There shouldn't be any coolant->oil, which would be devastating.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Get OA Oil sample ASAP if coolant is found in oil .

Another potentially huge problem to be aware of is the reaction of calcium sulfonate (engine oil detergent) with ethylene glycol (engine coolant). When these fluids are mixed, a chemical reaction ensues that produces small abrasive balls as a byproduct. These "oil balls" are between 5 and 40 microns in size. The significance of the size is that this is also the size of the fluid film. In essence what is produced is a sandpaper balls that fits perfectly into the clearance between the engine’s internal components. The results are severe wear and eventual failure.

If Your Running MS11106 it has high levels of calcium.
You realize the OE coolant is not ethylene glycol don't you? That's the green stuff. We have Oat coolant. Hoat specifically. There's no ethylene glycol content

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
HOAT stands for Hybrid Organic Acid Technology, also known as G O-5. HOAT is an extended life antifreeze type. Hybrid OAT (HOAT) formulations are hybrid because additive packages contain ingredients from newer OAT ethylene glycol antifreeze types and the conventional ethylene glycol green formulas with nitrites added

01TwoForty

Jan 24, 2016
Truck Year
You realize the OE coolant is not ethylene glycol don't you? That's the green stuff. We have Oat coolant. Hoat specifically. There's no ethylene glycol content

I have a bottle of our OEM coolant and it says it contains Ethylene glycol.

Attachments

• MC.jpg
    MC.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 10

u130747

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
My 2015 diesel supplement says I have OAT coolant. It also says not to mix with HOAT. I do not think I have HOAT in my 2015 Ram!!! I hate when people just put out info off the top of their head, rather than what manual says.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I have a bottle of our OEM coolant and it says it contains Ethylene glycol.
Well my mistake. I was pretty sure all the organics did not but I was wrong

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
bf834f41eb.jpeg
This is a oil sample with a failed oil cooler

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
Mine was all good when I stopped for fuel around 2pm and failed between then and 9pm. But I can't speak for all the failures.

MisterT

Oct 18, 2016
Truck Year
Brokedownbutgood,

I also did an oil sample and got similar results than yours after oil cooler failure. What did they do with your engine? Just replace all cooling-related parts and hoses or did they assess the engine condition? I'm concerned that with presence of coolant in oil circuit the upcoming durability of engine (main bearings, etc) might have been impacted. In my case I can't get a clear situation through the dealer. Truck is at dealer since 3 weeks.

Thanks,

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
They declined my warranty claim so I fixed it myself. All I did was replace the oil cooler and the reservoir then flushed everything about 5 times. Now it depends on how much water got into the oil system but usally if it's enough to wash the bearings it well also cause crankcase pressure. That well cause a cel immediately in my cause I didn't get any cel.

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
They declined my warranty claim so I fixed it myself. All I did was replace the oil cooler and the reservoir then flushed everything about 5 times. Now it depends on how much water got into the oil system but usally if it's enough to wash the bearings it well also cause crankcase pressure. That well cause a cel immediately in my cause I didn't get any cel.
Why was your warranty not honored?

TDRAM73

Sep 16, 2017
Truck Year
Because I tuned and deleted my truck.
Sorry I know this post is old but I'm a newb to the forum and ED. I purchased a used 2014 laramie longhorn in April with 149,000 miles and a GDE tune that has been in since 132,000 miles. Just got a cel and when checked it was the coolant bypass valve stuck code. Upon lifting hood noticed the coolant recovery tank looked nasty with obvious contamination. Not sure what to do first. Still replace bypass valve or do new cooler, valve and flush system?

TDRAM73

Sep 16, 2017
Truck Year
Welcome, sorry to hear that a problem prompted your post!

The bypass valve code may be a red-herring. I would replace the cooler and flush the system and see if that code returns.
Ok. I was going to stop at dealer this morning and try to get an estimate for cooler. Do you have one recommended? Or has OEM one been upgraded? Any ideas on cost? Just parts even? My dealer is fairly small here in the northwest and last time I stopped there to ask them about possibly changing tranny fluid they acted like they haven't seen hardly any ecodiesels in their service department. Certainly none with the mileage I have.

TDRAM73

Sep 16, 2017
Truck Year
Whoa, that is way cheaper than the aftermarket air cooler I was looking at for $700. I did make an appointment for a diagnostic on my truck next week. They said an hour flat rate regardless of how long it takes. I feel like a guinea pig though because service department guy again said they knew nothing of this issue, found no service bulletins or recalls so I'm being put in the hands of their resident cummins mechanic. I used to be a motorcycle mechanic before I had to take a job that pays the bills so I'm just curious if replacing oil cooler with factory part is something I can do on my own and follow flushing instructions I noticed someone else posted in this forum? I almost feel like I would be no more in the dark than the dealership will be? Thanks for replying to my posts and all info. so far I really appreciate it.

TDRAM73

Sep 16, 2017
Truck Year
Just curious if I should stop driving truck also? I have a motorcycle to get to work but we've been getting our first week of rain and I'm on the fence as to which to do. I have really no idea how long the oil has gotten into coolant but it has a thicker pasty consistency, not just a slick on top of coolant. I have put close to 2500 miles on truck since I got it in April and all I know is it was not present then. Haven't opened hood religiously because I'm about 15% away from next oil change and it has been performing flawlessly.