• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil in coolant.

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
The dealership "resident cummins expert" is usually the guy that gets stuck with Ecodiesels, even though they share nothing in common. Typical dealership crap.

I would stop driving the truck. The oil in the cooling system is drastically reducing the coolant's ability to transfer heat, so I would worry about hot spots etc. The oil is also affecting the viscosity of the coolant, which will have an impact on its ability to flow into and out of tight passages.

The pastiness is typical when coolant and oil mix together. There are some chemical interactions which results in a gray slurry.

Oil cooler is actually VERY easy on this thing. There is a lot of room on that side of the engine, and the assembly is only held on with 4 bolts IIRC.

TDRAM73

Sep 16, 2017
Truck Year
The dealership "resident cummins expert" is usually the guy that gets stuck with Ecodiesels, even though they share nothing in common. Typical dealership crap.

I would stop driving the truck. The oil in the cooling system is drastically reducing the coolant's ability to transfer heat, so I would worry about hot spots etc. The oil is also affecting the viscosity of the coolant, which will have an impact on its ability to flow into and out of tight passages.

The pastiness is typical when coolant and oil mix together. There are some chemical interactions which results in a gray slurry.

Oil cooler is actually VERY easy on this thing. There is a lot of room on that side of the engine, and the assembly is only held on with 4 bolts IIRC.
Ok so I took truck to dealer yesterday and told them my oil cooler was suspect. As I figured they called me 4 hours later and told me that yes it was the oil cooler and they want about $200 for cooler and $500 to install/ flush and refill system. That's no new tank but does include the already spent $105 for "diagnosis" lol. I do feel like I can probably accomplish this for less as I did see that the part has now dropped to $125 which recoups some of my "diagnostic" fee. But trying to find ultimate flush solution has me baffled. Some say wrong dish detergent etches aluminum and it looks like flush is an all day ordeal. Thinking about getting cooler, installing self and paying another shop (someone I know on my route, I'm a local UPS driver) to flush and theoretically saving at least a few hundred bucks?? Your thoughts?

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
I would suggest flushing the system with distilled water only. I don't like any sort of cleaning chemicals in the system. Any contaminants in the cooling system will cause internal corrosion over time. Flush as best you can, refill, drive and monitor. You might want to drain-refill in a few thousand miles if there was some oil that was still in the system.

TDRAM73

Sep 16, 2017
Truck Year
I would suggest flushing the system with distilled water only. I don't like any sort of cleaning chemicals in the system. Any contaminants in the cooling system will cause internal corrosion over time. Flush as best you can, refill, drive and monitor. You might want to drain-refill in a few thousand miles if there was some oil that was still in the system.
So I took truck last Thursday and had my mechanic swap out cooler/filter unit and then he put some macs radiator flush fluid in and after I drove home I flushed/drained it out. Ended up spending all day Friday pulling upper, lower radiator hoses and bypass valve out cleaned all hoses and tank off of the truck but did use dawn however rinsed profusely. It just appeared all hoses were lined with at least an 1/8" of oil paste. Pulled out thermostat and cleaned and flushed both directions thru motor and heater hose lines. Put everything back filled with just distilled water and poured in some more macs flush agent. Warmed up, pulled petcock plug, but still have a lot of oil in system. I'm curious is there an in-line filter I can get or remote filter kit to try to continuously filter coolant system?

arnie

May 11, 2017
Truck Year
There is a food item that makes water and oil mix together but cant think of its name .Most food industries use it and some people take it as a supplement .Will look for name . Its called Lecithin .

bianca demers

Sep 17, 2019
Truck Year
Have a 2016 ECO DIESEL ,Does anyone know it the coolant 3 way code p26ab.part of the engine. for warrenty.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I believe it is best to check with the dealer they deny most every thing

Aleman

Dec 7, 2020
Truck Year
I just found out that my engine oil has infiltrated into my coolant reservoir. How much did it cost you all to fix it?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
In some cases its New Engine, Its extremely difficult to remove all the Oil that has leaked in the Coolant, Worst yet if Coolant leaked into crankcase.

Aleman

Dec 7, 2020
Truck Year
In some cases its New Engine, Its extremely difficult to remove all the Oil that has leaked in the Coolant, Worst yet if Coolant leaked into crankcase.
How would you know if it leaked into crankcase?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Its the Pressure, the Oil exchanger has failed, Generally the Oil pressure is much higher then coolant pressure, So Oil leaks into coolant, when no pressure exist, it possible with engine off for the coolant to leak into oil. I take it the 2015 is out of warranty.

Aleman

Dec 7, 2020
Truck Year
Its the Pressure, the Oil exchanger has failed, Generally the Oil pressure is much higher then coolant pressure, So Oil leaks into coolant, when no pressure exist, it possible with engine off for the coolant to leak into oil. I take it the 2015 is out of warranty.
Yes it is and the dealership is charging me 6k. The part is less than $200. I might change it myself.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
$6000.00 high IMO. I take they are replacing the entire coolant system including the radiator. I would Stop any repairs until Oil sample is taken and send to lab for Analysis, If coolant is found in triple digits PPM Most likely wear has resulted and if wear is found in the sample the engine is on it way to the recycle pile.

Aleman

Dec 7, 2020
Truck Year
$6000.00 high IMO. I take they are replacing the entire coolant system including the radiator. I would Stop any repairs until Oil sample is taken and send to lab for Analysis, If coolant is found in triple digits PPM Most likely wear has resulted and if wear is found in the sample the engine is on it way to the recycle pile.
They just said they were replacing the hoses and the oil cooler.

Aleman

Dec 7, 2020
Truck Year
They just said they were replacing the hoses and the oil cooler.
I didn't agree for them to start any repairs on it, I have a buddy of mine who has his own shop and works on semis so it is no biggie for him and my uncle has been working on engines his whole life. Plus you guys are a great help. I'm just trying to figure out this whole situation.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Do the OA before repairs. Its just extremely difficult to get all the lube out, Just about everything needs replacing, Hoses, Radiator, Exchanger, 3-way Valve, Etc, and Hours of flushing out of engine.

Aleman

Dec 7, 2020
Truck Year
Do the OA before repairs. Its just extremely difficult to get all the lube out, Just about everything needs replacing, Hoses, Radiator, Exchanger, 3-way Valve, Etc, and Hours of flushing out of engine.
I'll definitely look into it.