• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil in coolant.

Ecobummer

Feb 13, 2016
Just had the engine light come on today in my 2015 ecodiesel. It just hit 22,000 miles. I found your forum and yep oil in the coolant. Is there anything that can be done while the oil is minimal in the reservoir or is the damage done?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
At this point, I'm not sure if anyone knows exactly how much oil is getting into the coolant.

Either way, oil is oil and needs to be fixed. If you want to get the codes read, go to the autoparts store (they read codes for free) and post the actual code.. but just don't clear them so it's stored for the dealer to read.

Keep us updated!

Ecobummer

Feb 13, 2016
I went yesterday and could not find anyone that has something to code out this new of a truck. Is there such a place that has a non primitive device? Recommendations? I definitely would like to pull some codes before I take her in as I do not trust the dealerships. Thanks for your replies.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I went yesterday and could not find anyone that has something to code out this new of a truck. Is there such a place that has a non primitive device? Recommendations? I definitely would like to pull some codes before I take her in as I do not trust the dealerships. Thanks for your replies.

Any OBD 2 reader will pull the codes. Major auto parts stores like autozone or O'Reilly do it for free.

Ecobummer

Feb 13, 2016
The only code it gave was P1296 no d+c definition found. Both places told me the truck was too new and they couldn't tell me what the codes meant? This one seems to me mysterious? Nobody I talk to knows what it really means? Any thoughts. My main concern is the oil slick that is floating at the top of my coolant reservoir. Not sure that the code is even related?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
The only code it gave was P1296 no d+c definition found. Both places told me the truck was too new and they couldn't tell me what the codes meant? This one seems to me mysterious? Nobody I talk to knows what it really means? Any thoughts. My main concern is the oil slick that is floating at the top of my coolant reservoir. Not sure that the code is even related?

It's probably not, that's my guess.

Weird they can't read the codes. Nothing is different that I know of on these new Rams from any other modern truck with a OBD plug.

John

Nov 13, 2015
This was posted on another forum

P1296 - EGR system slow response.

This means that the EGR mass flow rate is changing too slowly compared to what the setpoint value is asking for. Since you don't have any EGR valve position faults, then likely the EGR system is sooted up or obstructed.

As a first step we would check to ensure that all the hoses from air box to engine and all of the intercooler hoses are properly attached and not loose, since this can impact the EGR mass flow calculations and thus impact the diagnostic.
If your driving up until the trip was predominately short trips in the city, then soot fouling could be a real issue.

Ecobummer

Feb 13, 2016
This was posted on another forum

P1296 - EGR system slow response.

This means that the EGR mass flow rate is changing too slowly compared to what the setpoint value is asking for. Since you don't have any EGR valve position faults, then likely the EGR system is sooted up or obstructed.

As a first step we would check to ensure that all the hoses from air box to engine and all of the intercooler hoses are properly attached and not loose, since this can impact the EGR mass flow calculations and thus impact the diagnostic.
If your driving up until the trip was predominately short trips in the city, then soot fouling could be a real issue.

Ecobummer

Feb 13, 2016
That sounds about right. My truck seems to be doing more regen cycles being that it's colder. I'm pretty sure the loss of fuel economy is linked too. I've always let my deisels idle in the cold as opposed to shutting them down for just a few minutes. These new def motors seem to be a different beast. What's the best procedure for warming them up so not to build up residue in the exhaust system? My block warmer does next to nothing.

John

Nov 13, 2015
You could get one of those GDE tunes and eliminate the EGR. GDE is on my short list. Presently your bigger problem is the oil in the coolant that might warrant an engine replacement.

Ecobummer

Feb 13, 2016
Thanks for the info John. I'm going to take it in tomorrow and see what they say about the oil in the reservoir first off. Then I will worry about the regen problem.

Sadecodiesel

Jan 12, 2016
Truck Year
my personal experience. The error codes is the least of the problem. Oil in the coolant if continue to drive truck will eventually cause engine failure. This is what happened when dealer read codes and said continue to drive unless light flashes red. Never saw red just high temps and engine shutdown. 70 days later finally got truck back and still dealing with oil residual in coolant. Good luck

RoninRam

Feb 20, 2016
Truck Year
Well, looks like I've just joined the club this afternoon. Clearly oil in the coolant and now the engine is starting to overheat. The check engine light came on last week and I was holding off for an oil change scheduled for next week. Looks like it will be more than that...

2015 EcoDiesel
Manufacture Date: December, 2014
Purchase Date: January, 2015
Mileage: 20,000

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Man that sucks. Being as my truck is a January built '15 with 13,500miles on the clock, I start to question not IF, but WHEN this problem will bear it's ugly head. [emoji17] But until then, Ima drive the snot out of it....

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Oil in coolant, that is major issue. Need to bring it to dealer and get FCA involved asap. Sure would like to know what the cause is. Some one suggested, it corrosion or chemical reaction with coolant and or poor soldering/welding. Never was able to confirm.

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
I don't really think coolant type could be a factor beings that even OAT coolant is designed to protect metals etc. I believe it is a poor built unit and the heat is the biggest issue. Hot to cold too many times with regularly seeing oil Temps at 220-230 will make a poor built unit brittle and crack. Couple that with cold oil pressures of up to 80+ psi it has to be very well built to withstand those temps/pressures. Rollingsmokediesel.com is currently in testing on their air to oil unit which is a remote cooler like a radiator. They have seen much lower oil Temps and don't have the issue of combining/contaminating systems.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
So it seems someone has an idea what going on. Now we have to wait and see if FCA will come up with a fix and start a recall before more engine oil/coolant issues. While under warranty, I don't plan on doing any third party mods, unless sanction by FCA and they pay the bill.

Those temperatures 220 seems to be normal and 50 psi is normal, and hitting 80 when cold, that seems to be in normal range. Something, FCA would have designed for, I would think.

We need a whistle blower in the FCA ranks, so we get rid of the guessing or learn the causes.

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
Normal they seem to be on these engines but that doesn't make them ideal conditions for a poorly built component.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I agree, something is failing and it sure would be stupid on FCA to build under spec, those specs would be given to the parts manufacture.
It is possible the parts contractor has screwed up badly. But under such a long production run?
Thats known to happen.
I'm thinking it something else?
I'm still stuck on the temperatures the engine produces under mild load, 1500 F easy to attain, too close to melt down, and probable cause.