• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil Spec Recall/TSB - Grounds for Class-Action?

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
In late July FCA changed the oil specification for our trucks. All unsold 2016 were to be drained and refilled immediately before sale and any truck that was in for service is to be drained and refilled as well. Without any type of explanation we're left to wonder why all this happened.

I'm thinking that there are grounds for a class-action lawsuit against FCA for this under these two scenarios.

1) The oil specification that was originally used was discovered to be grossly under-protecting internal engine components. This means that for years owners and dealers used a recommended oil that was actually very harmful to their engines. Since engine damage resulted directly from the requirements put forward by FCA, it is my belief that FCA should compensate owners who suffered engine failure and bore the cost of engine repair or replacement AND should compensate all those who used oil according to their recommendation with monetary compensation for future repairs made necessary by increased internal engine wear and/or extended warranties for these owners.

2) The oil specification originally used is fine, however, FCA changed the specification for inventory simplicity and or cost savings. Notably, the new specification for 5w40 has a negative impact on engine efficiency and accordingly fuel economy - these trucks got their EPA numbers under the requirement that they used a high-efficiency 5w30 oil. By changing the oil specification the MPG numbers of this truck have been lowered below their EPA estimates, and FCA should compensate owners for their increased fuel consumption in accordance with previous settlements with other manufacturers such as Hyundai who also needed to adjust their MPG numbers downward years after selling the cars in the US market.

Last edited:

flying7

Jul 15, 2014
Truck Year
Well, it makes me wonder why they changed the spec all of a sudden with no explaintion. Perhaps the opportunity is there but its to early to tell if the switch has caused or will cause any problems for us

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
Well, the class action would hinge on discovery. The goal would be to force FCA to turn over internal documentation about why they made this change. If they knew it caused damage but actively sought to prevent that information from coming out, that would come out in discovery.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
Not completely related, but I have the 5w-40 in mine now and haven't noticed a difference in economy

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
The thing that concerns me is why drain the oil out of the unsold trucks, that to me is the concerning part about this whole deal.

flying7

Jul 15, 2014
Truck Year
Something to do with oil cooler failure maybe.. or maybe something worse (internally)??

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
My guess is it had something too due with FCA going away from Pennzoil and lowering maintenance costs. Personally I switched to 5W-40 myself before the change with no noticeable change.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
My guess is it had something too due with FCA going away from Pennzoil and lowering maintenance costs. Personally I switched to 5W-40 myself before the change with no noticeable change.

That was my first impression. But, if they are draining non-sold trucks oil and replacing it with the new spec that really takes away from the "cost saving" theory.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
I know the trucking industry is already having a hard time with these newer, lighter oil formulations, saw a pic from a kenworth with a newer Cummins engine in it, had been running 10w-30 synthetic blend in it since the first change, cam was completely shot and needed an overhaul at 300,000 miles and it wasn't in town hauling it was OTR, because they drained the oil and replaced it from unsold trucks leads me to believe there is a deeper problem than cost, maybe they had a gigantic mess up at the factory and filled em all with 5w-30 gasoline engine oil, switch to 5w-40 and alleviate a lot of that kind of confusion

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
I was thinking more on the line of lowering maintenance cost for customers. But ive seen enough clean oil analyst with the 5W-30 to be confident that it was a good oil.

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
What is FCA? And, does anyone have a link to this information? I bought a new ecodiesel 3 days ago and I'm wondering if I should change the oil. I don't trust that the dealer did it.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Fiat Chrysler America. (FCA)

you should have the correct oil since it was purchased 3 days ago, but it wouldn't hurt to ask your dealer to confirm.

just mention TSB NUMBER: 18-078-16 and or RAPID RESPONSE TRANSMITTAL (RRT) 16-064.

Attachments

• TSB-18-078-16 Oil Spec Change.pdf
    110.3 KB · Views: 136

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
Fiat Chrysler America. (FCA)

you should have the correct oil since it was purchased 3 days ago, but it wouldn't hurt to ask your dealer to confirm.

just mention TSB NUMBER: 18-078-16 and or RAPID RESPONSE TRANSMITTAL (RRT) 16-064.
Thank you

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
What is FCA? And, does anyone have a link to this information? I bought a new ecodiesel 3 days ago and I'm wondering if I should change the oil. I don't trust that the dealer did it.

Welcome to the forum!

Mr Reed

Aug 27, 2016
Truck Year
Question: If the service bulletin states this is under warranty, shouldn't my first oil change be free? Just asking opinions before I take my truck in. I bought it new the last days of June and now have 5k miles on it.
The dealer I bought this from sent me a service reminder and I have asked about this service bulletin, but have not gotten a response yet. I dont want to walk into the service department blind.
Thanks

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
Everything except the oil filter is covered