• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P019100 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor "A" Circuit Performance-

trace2008

Sep 21, 2016
Truck Year
I got this code in my 2014 on a cross country trip over Christmas. It CEL came on, went to the nearest dealer on my trip and had codes read and cleared. They said random code and that I didn’t need to worry about it. The CEL stayed out for 60 miles then came back on.

Next dealership gave me the print out and told me it was a communication error between modules having to do with a fuel pressure sensor. Said it may come back, but that it was nothing to worry about. Over the next three weeks the CEL would come and go. It would be on for 2 or three days then go off for a day or part of a day.

Performance? Great ! Pulled the grape vine with a 19ft toyhauler on the back at 65. MPG avg at 70 towing 13 in tow/haul mode. Now that I am back and no longer towing the CEL still comes and goes. Any clues out there?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Dia-electric pressure sensor (Back of Rider side rail) Dia-electric electronic Rail relief valve (Driver side front of Rail).

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
What part don't you understand ?

trace2008

Sep 21, 2016
Truck Year
So I should suspect the sensors as the code claims or a communication issue as the second dealer claimed?

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
Its either one of the sensors is acting up, or you have a loose/poor connection like tc mentioned, or your pcm, thats the main possibilities.

John

Nov 13, 2015
I think he's trying to say apply dielectric grease to both sensor connectors,. As usual. it's hard to grasp what Todd is conveying.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Trace2008 , both Sensors are sensitive to conditions. Bosch did change the style on the Cummins 6.7 in 2014. The 3.0 has the same Pressure sensor form 2003 to 2013 Cummins, Some Snow pullers will get the same code when snow dust enter the cavity area of the connection.

trace2008

Sep 21, 2016
Truck Year
After a two weeks of no CEL I do believe the dielectric grease on both the pressure sensor and pump controller have fixed this problem. I put a dab on each contact in each connector and a light bead on the seal to make the seal better.

It will make the job much easier on the passenger side if you remove the air intake hose from the filter (boot and hard hose) from the air box to the back of the engine as well as the metal EGR pipe (This would be a great time to clean that as well) I also unplugged the last injector to get that wire out of the way.

On the driver side I removed the air pipe that runs over everything but it is probably possible to get to the pump controller without doing so. I wanted more room and to remove the foam block.

The connectors both have a push down lock that must be lifted before the connector can be released. The pump controller connector on the front driver’s side has a yellow lock. A small straight slot pushed in at the top with a slight twist pops it up. The pressure sensor on the back of the passenger side of my truck faced so that I could not see the lock and took quite a bit of effort to get up.

I hope this helps someone.

Attachments

• fuel.jpg
    fuel.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 130
  • egr.jpg
    egr.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
After a two weeks of no CEL I do believe the dielectric grease on both the pressure sensor and pump controller have fixed this problem. I put a dab on each contact in each connector and a light bead on the seal to make the seal better.

Good news Trace!

Hopefully it continues to be trouble free now.

Charles Rowe

Oct 9, 2016
Truck Year
I had the P0191 and had it into the dealer several times under warranty. They said they replace the fuel rail pressure sensor. Drove for a while CEL came and went. Took it back to the dealer they did not fix the issue. Then at 35500 miles the CEL came back on again, same code. I took a picture of my mileage with the CEL on, called the dealer to schedule service. I was not able to get in for a week. By that time I had passed the 37000 mile mark. After having my truck for over a week the dealer calls me and says they have bad news for me. The said I had contaminated fuel and it would not be covered by warranty. They wanted $1000 to flush the fuel system. I refused to pay that. They then said they would speak to STAR and see what they would do. I got the system flushed for $350 dollars and the fuel pressure sensor was also replaced.

This past week they called me to say that did not repair the issue and I was now getting a P0087 and would have to pay $9000 to have the entire fuel system replaced.

I picked up the truck and the CEL was off for about 2 miles. There was only about 2 gallons of fuel in the truck and the paperwork indicated taht ther fuel filter had been changed. My cruise control didn't work and the truck indicated that I needed an oil change.
I had an oil change a week prior to taking the truck to the Dealer, and yes I did reset the oil light at the time of the change. Please help.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Charles Rowe Call Me......763-228-7121.

trace2008

Sep 21, 2016
Truck Year
Still good here. Sorry to see you get jerked around by the dealer.

Floyd sabit

Sep 22, 2018
Truck Year
I too got this code P0191 and after reading all these posts and trying a few things which have not worked for me, I got to thinking, oh the mileage on my truck is 180,000km, wonder if the soot built up inside my engine and exhaust system have anything to do with it? since my ecodisel loves to rev around 1500 rpmssit gives the engine no pressure to clean itself out. I thought to myself...before I start putting money into this engine I am going to drive for 50km down the highway with my engine reving at 2500-3000 rpms and see if the engine light will go away...sure enough the engine light went away and has stayed off since. So I am making it a habit to give my eco diesel some high rpm s for a self cleaning once in awhile. Anyway just thought I would share this and hope it works for you. Thanks for reading.

coorsman2005

Mar 1, 2019
Truck Year
So trace. How is this truck doing now. Im going to try the dia grease tomorrow and see if thats the culprit. Thanks

Charles Rowe

Oct 9, 2016
Truck Year
Well, I traded the 2014 eco and now own a 2016 eco. And guess what? I am getting the p0087 on this truck also. I have the new extensive warranty offered by the settlement so the same dealership has had my 16 for the last 30 days. Again they( engineers at Chrysler) are blaming the issue on contaminated fuel again. A STAR case has been opened on this one also. The dealership is telling me they do not agree with this diagnosis and they are fighting to get this covered so that I won't have to pay for the entire fuel system to be replaced. Same dealership and same diesel tech working on the truck. What do you think?