• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P203e code

Lynn Thompson

Jun 18, 2017
Truck Year
Anyone out there have experience with the p203e code. It's "reductant level sensor circuit intermittent/erratic" I reset the code and I've drove about 30 miles with it reset ,CEL hasn't come back on but it is pending so I know it's about to.I put another 2.5 gallons of DEF in and the gauge didn't move so the level sensor definitely has some kind of issue.
Any ideas?
How do you reset code
I'm not debating this It just makes no sense on what is suppose to be a closed system could get the air for the crystallization to happen and with DEF fluid being mostly distilled water why didn't having a full tank dissolve any crystallization plus keep air out. The other deal is the gauge isn't a manual gauge it's from everything I've read or service department I've talked to a RF. From my experience working in a oil refinery we use RF gauges on tanks that have the nastiest thickest stuff because it has no moving parts to get hung up and the RF will see right through any accumulation on them. That being said I'm not arguing your point because it worked and I'm glad it did. Just wish the gauge was removable so I could have actually seen what the deal was plus would be cheaper to replace just a gauge rather than the whole tank. The whole problem may come back at some point and I'll probably do the same procedure before I take it to a dealer or spend any money on it after all $7 for distilled water beats a couple thousand any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/Q

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Idk 52,000 miles, light has come and gone twice in ownership, only once known for that code but it went away on it's own. Haven't had any problems

Chris Stultz

Nov 12, 2017
Truck Year
I have a 2014. 87k. About 3k ago the cel came on. I put two boxes of Dec in and the gauge didn' move. Now I'm getting the message that the engine will not restart in 500 miles. Seems like this is a recurring issue. It should be a recall. I am bringing it to the dealer tomorrow. Sure hope it' not $2k

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I have a 2014. 87k. About 3k ago the cel came on. I put two boxes of Dec in and the gauge didn' move. Now I'm getting the message that the engine will not restart in 500 miles. Seems like this is a recurring issue. It should be a recall. I am bringing it to the dealer tomorrow. Sure hope it' not $2k
At that point I would try draining the def tank and cleaning the sensors, also the def injector in the exhaust could be restricted. Should all be simple stuff to do yourself. I had seen some def crystallization on the exhaust injector causing problems when I was researching low temp def years ago.

Chris Stultz

Nov 12, 2017
Truck Year
Draining the def easy? Dropping the tank simple? I've looked and haven't found much. Sensors easy to access? I heard you have to replace the whole tank.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I haven't looked but I wouldn't think there'd be much to it. The exhaust sensor is easy to access, and the tank I've read some success with just flushing it with water to clear the deposits

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Not saying it'd solve your problem but in my opinion it'd be worth putting the time into to play with it before eating a dealership bill. IF you drain out the tank I'd just flush water through the fill neck a time or two or three. drain it out again and see if the gauge registers a change in fluid level to empty, before dumping any def in it.

Maybe disconnect the battery to reset the computer while you're screwing with it also?

Chris Stultz

Nov 12, 2017
Truck Year
I'l do the battery tonight. They did say there is a recall that' unfulfilled on a sensor. Doubt it' this one. I'l see what they say. My def is overflowing. I just put more in. The gauge is dropping like crazy though. It would suck to have the truck think I ran out and not start.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I'l do the battery tonight. They did say there is a recall that' unfulfilled on a sensor. Doubt it' this one. I'l see what they say. My def is overflowing. I just put more in. The gauge is dropping like crazy though. It would suck to have the truck think I ran out and not start.
Yea that would suck.. good luck and let us know what you figure out if you do decide to dive into it yourself!

Nutt

Feb 20, 2015
Truck Year

I hate to hear your having this problem I fought it for a year or longer. The gauge is built into the tank so there is no replacing just the gauge. I removed the tank and filled with distilled water to get it to work once ,but even then it was picky ,if I filled it up the code would return. I could drain some back out without removing the tank and it would work correctly. When I got the 500 mile message again last month I drained the def removed the tank and soaked in distilled water again for a day to no avail. I finally had to just man up and have the tank replaced. Pulled into the dealer with 30 miles left to go on the restart message. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it was $2k and some change. I posted the procedure I used to clean mine on this thread when I started it about a year ago you could try it and maybe it will work it’s worth a shot after all $8 worth of distilled water beats $2k any day. Draining and removing the tank isn’t all that difficult. I think the video someone else posted shows how to drain it really well. Removing the tank I removed the cross bar then the skid plate on the bottom of the tank then unplugged all the wires and the vent line then the two bolts that hold the tank straps on and then it will come out or fall on you if your not careful so make sure you drain it first. The fill line seems to have a flap inside to act as sort of a check valve so if you do remove it when you go to put the distilled water in make sure the funnel is small enough and long enough to push it in. Best of luck to you on what ever you decide to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I hate to hear your having this problem I fought it for a year or longer. The gauge is built into the tank so there is no replacing just the gauge. I removed the tank and filled with distilled water to get it to work once ,but even then it was picky ,if I filled it up the code would return. I could drain some back out without removing the tank and it would work correctly. When I got the 500 mile message again last month I drained the def removed the tank and soaked in distilled water again for a day to no avail. I finally had to just man up and have the tank replaced. Pulled into the dealer with 30 miles left to go on the restart message. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it was $2k and some change. I posted the procedure I used to clean mine on this thread when I started it about a year ago you could try it and maybe it will work it’s worth a shot after all $8 worth of distilled water beats $2k any day. Draining and removing the tank isn’t all that difficult. I think the video someone else posted shows how to drain it really well. Removing the tank I removed the cross bar then the skid plate on the bottom of the tank then unplugged all the wires and the vent line then the two bolts that hold the tank straps on and then it will come out or fall on you if your not careful so make sure you drain it first. The fill line seems to have a flap inside to act as sort of a check valve so if you do remove it when you go to put the distilled water in make sure the funnel is small enough and long enough to push it in. Best of luck to you on what ever you decide to do

I would definetly do a vinegar solution flush to take out the urea and mineral deposits. Also there's no sense using distilled water for the flush in my opinion, it's just in and out so the garden hose would do just fine.

Capt Tim

May 7, 2017
Truck Year
Sorry - with all due respect and the Jags one in OT; but I didn’t read the long post. This exact thing happened to my ‘14 at 24k. I dogged the Hemi they loaned, while my truck got a new DEF injector - tech reported a “rusted” injector. 51k later never another problem. What about 95% of DEF is water anyway, sounded reasonable to me.

Nutt

Feb 20, 2015
Truck Year
I would definetly do a vinegar solution flush to take out the urea and mineral deposits. Also there's no sense using distilled water for the flush in my opinion, it's just in and out so the garden hose would do just fine.
Distilled water over night will break down the urea without putting in any foreign contamination in the DEF tank and making a bad situation worse ,who knows what’s in the tap water. Since DEF is 65% distilled water 100% distilled water won’t hurt the gauge or contaminate the system as far as the vinegar goes I’m sure the acid will clean the mess out of it but I’d be weary of what else it could harm unless you flushed it out with distilled water. The process I used with the distilled water over night is not something I just came up with it’s from a TSB that I can’t find anymore and the dealers don’t want to do it because it’s easier and more profitable to replace the tank since the process doesn’t always work , but in a last ditch effort I guess one could try just about anything. I have the old tank from when they replaced it ( had to argue to get it but I got it) I plan on cutting it in half one day just to see what exactly that gauge looks like. Was also told I could replace the tank myself even found the tank on a mopar parts sight for $1500 but I learned that the tank gauge has to be calibrated be either some sort of equipment at the dealer or witchcraft by the dealer neither of which I have. I dealt with this problem for a year and with time ,aggravation and distilled water I would have been way ahead to just gotten the thing replaced and been done with it and I loath having anyone work on my equipment other than me. What ever you try I hope it works and let us know if what you did works.

Chris Stultz

Nov 12, 2017
Truck Year
You would have just replaced the tank for 2k? Did the distilled water cause the gauge to read better? Has it dome it again since?

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
You would have just replaced the tank for 2k? Did the distilled water cause the gauge to read better? Has it dome it again since?
He said it was a temp fix and within a year had to replace the tank. But he was under Warranty at the 24k miles, you obviously are not