• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ram EcoDiesel Oil Change Information

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Posting just for reference for our members.

Needed:
1 1/16th Socket | 27mm in metric.
Drain Plug Size: 13mm
Mopar 6822 9402AA, Engine Oil Filter
Pennzoil 550023013-6PK Ultra Euro L 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
--or--
Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP Synthetic Motor Oil

10.5 QUART OIL CAPACITY

***UPDATE***
New Requirement as of July 2016
You can now use 5W-40 synthetic engine oil such as MOPAR or Shell Rotella that meets FCA Material Standard MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 or ACEA E9/E7 or ACEA A3/B4 engine oil category is required.

See this thread for more info:
http://www.ecodieselram.com/forum/t...tion-requirement-for-ram-1500-ecodiesels.820/

ecodieseloilfilter.jpg mobile1 esp.jpg pennzoil-ecodiesel.jpg

Fuel Filter Part #:

Last edited:

Ramconvert

May 25, 2015
Truck Year
Thanks BoostN!

Can't wait until Amzoil formulates a suitable oil. Also can't wait for this to become common enough to pick up locally.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year

Bruce

May 28, 2015
Truck Year
Just picked up a 6pk of Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W-30 for $36 to the door from Amazon Warehouse Deals. Score! I guess the original packaging fell apart, the description stated it would ship in new packaging from Amazon.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Just picked up a 6pk of Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W-30 for $36 to the door from Amazon Warehouse Deals. Score! I guess the original packaging fell apart, the description stated it would ship in new packaging from Amazon.

Very nice score Bruce

Jambrose711

Jun 14, 2015
Truck Year
Hastings LF696.PNG ECO GUARD.jpg I've collected a TON of information today. All of it...a bit confusing. I've read a lot and spoke to a lot of people about the interchange of filters between JEEP/RAM. Lets see what you guys have to say.

Hastings Filter # LF696
2014 Jeep 3.0L V6
Notice how it replaces Chrysler OE# 68109834AA which is designated to the JEEP not RAM.

Chrysler OEM # 68229402AA is for the RAM 1500 Eco.

Now obviously you'd come to the conclusion that I did...they're not interchangeable. Im making that assumption based on there being two different part numbers. But a very reputable shop and 30+ year family friend from up North says he uses the LF696 on his Ram Eco. Claims there hasn't been any issues and that's what he recommends at his shop. He pays $28 at NAPA.

I've located that filter on ebay for $12.45...mind blowing, I know! Here's the link...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/191589...%3D711-117182-37290-0%26rvr_id%3D867078602626

On that page you'll notice if you click VIEW DETAILS and then scroll down to ITEM SPECIFICS you'll see it says "Interchange Part Number: 68109834AA" meaning they work on either or.

He also sells a 3 pack of part 68229402AA for $29.34

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/171805...%3D711-117182-37290-0%26rvr_id%3D867067154525

Now around me in the Pittsburgh area, a local Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep shop has a sale right now for $130 specifically for the EcoDiesel.

And then I found a website that sells a package deal 1 Mopar filter and 11 quarts. Here it is...
http://idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4255

Lastly, Kendall oil sells a GT-1 Full synthetic Euro 5W-30 blend for $77 after shipping/tax that meets Chrysler specs. Here that is...
http://www.petroleumservicecompany....m9GHOMUD3az7_CUAT4bqbr_Pv7aya3P3z_BoCeS_w_wcB

Amazon has the Pennzoil Ultra euro l 5w-30 (6- 1 quart bottles) with a $10 coupon for $35.94 shipping included.

Hope we can help each other on this. Thanks

Hastings LF696.PNG

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
The oil filter with the o ring near the bottom is not compatible with any ram engine. It only worked for the 2014 jeeps. I helped design the champion filter. The o ring near the top is for all engines now. Using the o ring filter near the bottom of the neck in a ram engine will allow all dirty oil straight into the engine. It does not seal at all. Fca had canceled that design and is only using and making the o ring filter near the top for all engines. They only use 1 design now for everything to eliminate confusion and engine damage.

Jambrose711

Jun 14, 2015
Truck Year
The oil filter with the o ring near the bottom is not compatible with any ram engine. It only worked for the 2014 jeeps. I helped design the champion filter. The o ring near the top is for all engines now. Using the o ring filter near the bottom of the neck in a ram engine will allow all dirty oil straight into the engine. It does not seal at all. Fca had canceled that design and is only using and making the o ring filter near the top for all engines. They only use 1 design now for everything to eliminate confusion and engine damage.

They haven't eliminated to much confusion because I'm still lost. I can't tell in the pictures I see if they're old, new, top, or bottom. Between Mopar, Hastings, Baldwin, ecoguard, and the one you posted I can't tell the difference. It's a very simple design and I don't see why there's such a heavy price for them. That's why I referenced part numbers to clear up any confusion.

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
If you are still confused you need to go to your dealer and they will give you the correct filter. Problem=solved

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed

Before anyone hangs me I actually use Rotella t-6 oil 1qt full synthetic lucas and the oil filter from automotive parts superstore, all together my full oil change is under $70.00
Rotella is the highest rated E-9 oil for diesel engines and aftermarket treatment systems, however the oil is a little thicker on the high temp range (40w) but I subject my engine to massive stresses every day pulling its maximum trailer weight and payload capacity. I found the OEM oil gets really thin under all conditions for me after 5000 miles, it literally all just runs off the dipstick even when cold, and theres no viscosity, The rotella has zero long term degradation. And I used liquid moly oil that oil change cost me $200 every oil change and it had virtually zero soot holding and absorbtion capability and caused massive increase in aluminum detection, Blackstone warned me to change my oil immediately and retest due to imminent engine failure. So im going old school back to my roots and using Rotella.
The liquid moly since it did not hold or capture soot until 7500 miles caused massive soot formation and oil sludge in my engine and I had to do a sludge cleaning service at 105000 miles. :( don't waste your money.

AzRamDiesel

Jan 2, 2014

Before anyone hangs me I actually use Rotella t-6 oil 1qt full synthetic lucas and the oil filter from automotive parts superstore, all together my full oil change is under $70.00
Rotella is the highest rated E-9 oil for diesel engines and aftermarket treatment systems, however the oil is a little thicker on the high temp range (40w) but I subject my engine to massive stresses every day pulling its maximum trailer weight and payload capacity. I found the OEM oil gets really thin under all conditions for me after 5000 miles, it literally all just runs off the dipstick even when cold, and theres no viscosity, The rotella has zero long term degradation. And I used liquid moly oil that oil change cost me $200 every oil change and it had virtually zero soot holding and absorbtion capability and caused massive increase in aluminum detection, Blackstone warned me to change my oil immediately and retest due to imminent engine failure. So im going old school back to my roots and using Rotella.
The liquid moly since it did not hold or capture soot until 7500 miles caused massive soot formation and oil sludge in my engine and I had to do a sludge cleaning service at 105000 miles. :( don't waste your money.

Rotella isn't technically approved for this motor right?