• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Transmission issue

marcm

Dec 5, 2015
Truck Year
I'm having an issue with my tranny downshifting when coming to a stop. Just as your coming to a stop it jumps/surges downshifting hard. Anyone else have a problem. It goes in to shop Wednesday. It's a 2016 with 4100km.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I'm having an issue with my tranny downshifting when coming to a stop. Just as your coming to a stop it jumps/surges downshifting hard. Anyone else have a problem. It goes in to shop Wednesday. It's a 2016 with 4100km.

I've not come across anyone having transmission issues that I can remember. Hopefully it's a easy fix.. If you have any codes to read that might point us to some ideas, other than that we'll have to wait to see what the dealer says. Keep us updated!

marcm

Dec 5, 2015
Truck Year
Never did it before and of course it stopped doing it the day before it went into the shop and hasn't done it since. Service advisor said that they had heard of complaints of "surging" when stopping but found it was because there are no baffles in the fuel tank causing the fuel to slosh around. so if your tank is 3/4 to 1/3 full they found that was when people tended to notice it but it stopped after fueling up. They did end up changing my back up camera while there, guess some salt water got in and it has been acting up off and on. hopefully the tranny issue was a one time thing.

Buggy-Bumpers

Feb 21, 2016
Truck Year
Are you running with it in Tow/Haul Mode? this causes hard down shifts, which is actually good for the engine and tranny.

Stan Laurel

Aug 3, 2015
Truck Year
You can't run tow/haul mode unless you have a trailer hooked up to your 7-pin connector.

Buggy-Bumpers

Feb 21, 2016
Truck Year
Stan that's not true. You can run Tow/Haul anytime you want to. Just push the button, they would not call it Tow/Haul if you could not use it when Hauling heavy loads. It would be called Tow Mode.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Never experience that issue, nor even thought of it. The only time, I hear downshifting, or engine holding back, happen only when I have cruise control on and going down hill.

My shifting is smooth, no jerks, very quiet. It one of the nice features of it. Also, regardless of fuel amount, no such effect, so that isn't likely your problem.

bowhntrsd

Feb 8, 2016
Truck Year
I have the same issue occasionally. The 2010 silverado 1500 6.2L I had before this did this also. I think its normal

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
On the bases of mine and other I have tested, I don't think that normal for this truck. I can't stress too much, the shifting is so smooth and unnoticeable. I'm also use to have the Camry Hybrid, with no shifting, it has a continuous tranny type.

Not familiar with this transmission, as to any adjustments or sensors, but the older unit did have bands to adjust, etc. Give FCA a call and perhaps they can verify if that normal.

Unless, I have an unusual good transmission.

Mar 13, 2016
Truck Year
Are you running with it in Tow/Haul Mode? this causes hard down shifts, which is actually good for the engine and tranny.

Buggy....can you explain why you say that "causes hard down shifts, which is actually good for the engine and tranny", not HATING, just curious?

marcm

Dec 5, 2015
Truck Year
it wasn't in tow/haul mode and hasn't happened again since. On the bad side my backup camera they changed is already doing the same thing, didn't last 24hrs.

Buggy-Bumpers

Feb 21, 2016
Truck Year
Buggy....can you explain why you say that "causes hard down shifts, which is actually good for the engine and tranny", not HATING, just curious?

Using the Tow/Haul when driving around town, stop and go slow traffic will cause the engine's exhaust to warm up faster and stay hotter longer. This will help with REGENs and engine and Transmission warmup. Also the firmer the shift the less amount of slippage in the Tranny.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I have the same issue occasionally. The 2010 silverado 1500 6.2L I had before this did this also. I think its normal

GMs are notorious for driveline/transmission clunks. Every one I've had did it. Everything always checked out with them tho so I just accepted it. I think it was just the combo of aluminum tailshaft and steel yoke....

NC-RAM

Nov 29, 2015
Truck Year
I get too get that little bump, took to the dealer back in 2015 and they told me it's just the way these 8 speed trans handle.
I only notice in stop and go traffic, it will bump from 2nd to 1 gear. . Other than that, it very smooth accelerating with no issues.
Going down some steep grades 35 -40 MPH it will down shift for me.
so not real issue in my book.

But I do have one question. Nothing in the manual tell us to change the transmission fluid. I guess it good for the life of the truck ? Any thoughts on that?
60,000 miles.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
NC-RAM,

The tranny does not need oil added or filter & oil change for "life of the truck".
All the "experts" say that FCA considers life of the truck to be 100,000 miles.

NC-RAM

Nov 29, 2015
Truck Year
Dang , i was hoping for at lease 300k, but hear you, 100k change it all.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Dang , i was hoping for at lease 300k, but hear you, 100k change it all.
Would like to address a couple of points brought up on the thread. My 2014, only transmission related glitch is when slowing to a stop if I do not come to a complete stop, California rolling stop, when I get back into the throttle I experience a hard shift from 2nd to 1st, which was disconcerting the first few times it occurred I now make sure I come to a stop.
This ZF or Corp. ZF have capability of torque converter lock up in all 8 speeds, so hard downshifts may not be as beneficial as older transmissions. The Tow/Haul Mode does employ an engine brake function by retarding the turbo which serves to assist the brakes and extend their life, but raises EGT's.
Manufacturer does recommend that fluid lasts "the life of the truck" and then in Service Manual recommends fluid flush minimum at 100K. Several posts on a different thread do complete filter and fluid change at 100K, the oil pan and filter are a one piece assembly and has a wide range of cost dependent on source. The ZF and Corp. ZF have a very specific fluid level check procedure requiring fluid be at a specific operational temperature and you need to remember the capacity of 9L of fluid. Also that ZF uses a proprietary synthetic fluid, although there are a couple of aftermarket synthetic ATF products available so be picky. I have experience with fluid flushes at 100K on ZF transmissions in several manufacturer platforms as well as FCA and it works out well.
Enjoy the truck.

Zachary

Oct 22, 2017
Truck Year
For those thinking of servicing your transmission, here are the instructions I received after reaching out to ZF. I have serviced mine, it isn't hard just very specific. I replaced my pan with an aluminum one with replaceable filter and I plan on servicing it every 50k miles. Keep in mind that you can't fully flush the fluid since about half stays in the torque convertor. http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a24a265dcb75/ZF Trans Service Instructions.pdf

Attachments

• ZF%20Trans%20Service%20Instructions.pdf
    714 KB · Views: 37