• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Turbo water coolant feed tube failure

Dbishop

Oct 13, 2020
Truck Year
Dbishop I here Ya, its just the complexity that surrounds the 3.0VM and the costly repairs....Sometimes I wonder if the Customer care people are X engineers.:mad:

Some Owners have had rentals for 4-6 Weeks, waiting for repairs. The Dealer (1st) did have plenty of Time to investigate the Matter, I hope the new one fairs better.

I just don't get, A little compassion would go a long way , FCA is loosing long term Customers over the 3.0VM issues many (NOT all) are having.
The first dealer had my GC for 5 days, this 2nd one has had it for about 3 weeks and will have it for at least 1 more.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Ok. I lost count on the Times, That say a lot.

DerekGallagher

Dec 20, 2020
Truck Year
My 2014 Ram eco-diesel had the same problem in June 2019. Commuting from work, coolant leaked out, truck over-heated, I had it towed home. I got a quote from Modesto, CA Ram dealership, they estimated cost to be $2700 to $3400 to replace the hose, since they have to practically dismantle the engine, remove exhaust manifold. Well needless to say, I call bullshit. Truck has been sitting since. Sucks! I agree that this is a design flaw and Ram should cover repairs. I do not know where to turn at this point, I can't afford the repairs since I'm paying $600 a month for truck payment and $450.00 for insurance per month.

Also, in April, 2019 truck had a def-pump failure. I ordered the parts and repaired that myself. There is Eco-diesel Class Action Settlement for this and I was paid $2460 for claim. If any of you have experienced the Def service dash light, take to dealer, truck will not start in 70 miles, check out www.EcoDieselSettlement.com 1-833-280-4748

DerekGallagher

Dec 20, 2020
Truck Year
They said they couldn't see it with a borescope at the 2nd dealership. The first one said they could see it so idk. They told me that it is the Turbocharger coolant return hose at the first place. They said that hose is not covered under the warranty, which is false. That's why I moved it to another dealership. The 2nd dealer said that that part is covered under warranty but they need to confirm that is the part that is damaged before they will submit it under warranty. And so I wait.
Has your truck been fixed? Was it covered under warranty? I am having same problem.

Dbishop

Oct 13, 2020
Truck Year
My 2014 Ram eco-diesel had the same problem in June 2019. Commuting from work, coolant leaked out, truck over-heated, I had it towed home. I got a quote from Modesto, CA Ram dealership, they estimated cost to be $2700 to $3400 to replace the hose, since they have to practically dismantle the engine, remove exhaust manifold. Well needless to say, I call bullshit. Truck has been sitting since. Sucks! I agree that this is a design flaw and Ram should cover repairs. I do not know where to turn at this point, I can't afford the repairs since I'm paying $600 a month for truck payment and $450.00 for insurance per month.

Also, in April, 2019 truck had a def-pump failure. I ordered the parts and repaired that myself. There is Eco-diesel Class Action Settlement for this and I was paid $2460 for claim. If any of you have experienced the Def service dash light, take to dealer, truck will not start in 70 miles, check out www.EcoDieselSettlement.com 1-833-280-4748

After almost 2 months I got it back finally. I had to have it towed to another dealership and it was replaced under warranty. It was the turbocharger coolant return hose. I took it home and the next morning it leaked all over the driveway. Took it back and the water pump had sprung a leak. 5 more days at the dealer and the pump was replaced under warranty. FCA finally reimbursed the cost of the tow from the first dealer to the 2nd. All of the turbocharger parts are covered in the settlement you mentioned.

Texascherokee

Mar 27, 2019
Truck Year
Dbishop. I understand your frustration and it has merit. I just want Owners to understand the The American branch of Fiat is not the Problem, Its VM Motori of Italy and Fiat WW.

The latest FAILURE in the Eco Diesel is the EGR cooler, it can get a micro crack leaking internally. You can't smell the coolant leak, and can cause a fire inside the INTAKE. Good lord what can fail next on this POS EcoDiesel from VM Motori of Italy. Crank Sensor??

Dbishop

Oct 13, 2020
Truck Year
The latest FAILURE in the Eco Diesel is the EGR cooler, it can get a micro crack leaking internally. You can't smell the coolant leak, and can cause a fire inside the INTAKE. Good lord what can fail next on this POS EcoDiesel from VM Motori of Italy. Crank Sensor??
It absolutely was a fault involving FCA. They had my vehicle for almost 2 months and you know how many days of a loaner or rental I had? 0. And I had to pay out of pocket and move my vehicle to another dealership because the first one said it wasnt a part covered by my warranty. I was yelled at and told I didnt know how to read the warranty. They said they wouldn't release my vehicle to the tow company. FCA customer service was useless because they asked the dealer if it was covered under warranty. They told me it wasnt an item covered under warranty but couldn't give me the list of exactly what was covered because they called it a "proprietary list" of warranty items.

Twolittle2shy

Jan 9, 2021
Truck Year
Hello all. I am new to the forum. I recently had my first major issue with my ecodiesel and felt like I should share it with you all. Maybe some of you have experienced the same thing. So at 72k miles my engine decided to spring a major coolant leak. I first noticed the leak when backing into my driveway, noticed a trail of water. I jumped out of my truck to investigate. Water was running from the back of the motor and down the trans bellhousing. By the time I shut the truck off there was almost no coolant left in the motor. I'm lucky it happened when it did. I spent a few hours trying to diagnose where the coolant was coming from. With no avail I chose to have to have it towed to the nearest dealer. It took the mech a few days to diagnose what failed and allowed me to come to the shop to check it out. As some of you may know there is a coolant line that is in the valley of the motor that comes from the drivers side head and feeds to the turbo or formally called the turbo water feed tube. This tube is made up of two hard lines that are connected by a rubber heater hose. The heater hose split! To access this absolutely terrible engineering design the intake manifold had to be removed. Now why would they put a standard heater hose in one of the most hottest parts of the motor? I understand they need flex but they could have used something of better quality, maybe something that could withstand heat better like a silicon hose or designed the hose to run on the outside of the motor. Best part yet fca declined a warranty claim because it's considered rubber it is not covered under warranty past 36k miles. 2 weeks and $2100 later I finally got my truck back. I wrote this to give a heads up to the ecodiesel community of what could happen to you and what to expect. during this whole dilemma I couldn't find anyone that has experienced the same failure. No aftermarket manufacturers or shops that I contacted heard of this or make a bulletproof kit yet. I live in az. summers are hot and I tow. What do they think will happen to rubber over time in those type of conditions? Maybe my environmental conditions cause the failure sooner then others. I was able to keep the old part. How is this part not covered by warranty when you can't maintain this part that is in the valley of the motor without tearing the motor apart to replace it? The rubber hose is dry and brittle. I cant imagine that i am the only eco that has had this happen. Let me know if you have had this happen. Maybe we can ban together and open a class action agenst fca for this poor engineering design. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
View attachment 1629
My truck went into limp mode and dealer says losing coolant from back and can’t locate so cab needs to come off so I’m thinking it’s probably same thing

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
I'm really hoping that my turbo coolant hose fails while I'm under the AEM warranty. Currently, I've got 93,000 miles on the truck.

gkunzelman

Mar 18, 2021
Truck Year
Our's had been pretty rock solid for past 58,000 miles til this past Friday ... while just sitting in it with the engine running whilst talking to a neighbor steam starting coming out from under the vehicle and hood ... got it home in under a minute and coolant was dripping from the undercarriage. Towed to dealership - tech stays turbo cooler lines leaking. As noted by others this seems to be a real design failure (or possibly a planned failure to facilitate future repair work demand ???). I am aware of the EGR Cooler recall and hoping they can do that work at the same time. Anyways, a couple questions as this appears to be a pretty involved repair in which it seems to me they have to take quite a bit of the top of the engine off to get at the cooler line AND have to actually detach the body of the vehicle from the frame to create enough room to take the top portions(s) of the engine out (WTH?). So other questions:

(1) does anyone know if they are using the same freaking stupid part to repair or have they upgraded the part to something more durable?; and,

(2) since they are going to be doing a substantial amount of work already - is there anything else that should be done while they are taking apart the engine that I should have them do while they are already in there (hopefully at a reduced labor cost)?

(3) are there other complications that dealer should be assessing as a result of this defect in Jeep's design (coolant getting somewhere it shouldn't have; other potentially overheated parts; etc....)

Thanks for any thoughts / tips you care to pass along ... dealer should hopefully have parts in next couple of days. Fearing what could happen next with the dealer having to take so much apart to get at this stupidly designed part.

Texascherokee

Mar 27, 2019
Truck Year
My 2018 WK2 Eco Diesel blew the Turbo Coolant hose at 42K miles I think, they remove the wiper blades and air intake grill at base of windshield to access it at the back of the engine. I ask the Tech to wrap the hose part with heat shield material. I ask the dealership to install a better quality aftermarket braded stainless flex hose and they wouldn't even if I paid for it. Now I drive a WK2 Jeep with 5.7 Hemi Good Bye Eco Diesel

Attachments

• Turbo cooler tube.jpg
    Turbo cooler tube.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 23

gkunzelman

Mar 18, 2021
Truck Year
My 2018 WK2 Eco Diesel blew the Turbo Coolant hose at 42K miles I think, they remove the wiper blades and air intake grill at base of windshield to access it at the back of the engine. I ask the Tech to wrap the hose part with heat shield material. I ask the dealership to install a better quality aftermarket braded stainless flex hose and they wouldn't even if I paid for it. Now I drive a WK2 Jeep with 5.7 Hemi Good Bye Eco Diesel

Thanks for your information ... sent your pic to the dealership that is working on ours to see if they think its a good idea and whether it would have any negative effect on the warranties currently covering our 2014 ... I had asked the same question as you about putting a better quality connection in there (fully metal or something), but was told the same thing you were :mad: (totally ridiculous ... its clearly a poor design that needs to be rectified).

While I appreciated the Class Action and what it provided in the way of some $$$ and the extended emissions warranty that covered this problem ... it should have been like the VW action where there was a choice to turn the vehicle back to manufacturer and have purchase price refunded - that was the route I was hoping for and would've taken. Will have to consider dumping this vehicle & move away from the Diesel (had really liked the vehicle and its better gas mileage ... but, now with the regen issues, this issue, and California putting an extra 20 cents per gallon tax on diesel fuel ... its just not making that much sense anymore).

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
(1) does anyone know if they are using the same freaking stupid part to repair or have they upgraded the part to something more durable?

As far as I know, they are still using a rubber hose. Several people are replacing the rubber hose with a high temperature silicone hose like the one the in this link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C9L9LP9/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

(2) since they are going to be doing a substantial amount of work already - is there anything else that should be done while they are taking apart the engine that I should have them do while they are already in there (hopefully at a reduced labor cost)?

How many miles are on your Jeep? Is your Jeep tuned? If you're near 100,000 miles with a stock tune, then I would have the intake manifold replaced.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

vwvanagen789

Mar 20, 2021
Truck Year
Can you just replace the hose material for the turbo coolent line and re use the other parts ?

Karl

Last edited:

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Can you just replace the hose material and re use the other parts...

Karl

Yes. Here's what you'll need:

slail29

Jan 2, 2020
Truck Year
Long story but here is the short version.

EGR was replaced under warranty but they found this(circled yellow in the attached picture) to be leaking coolant. They said it’s not the turbo coolant feed tube but rather a o ring that failed...Which isn’t covered under warranty. I hadn’t checked the coolant level in awhile, probably since the last oil change which was 2 months ago, opened the hood and it was low a half gallon.

1. What is it called?
2. How long should it take the dealer to replace it, they want $1800 on top of the repairs to the EGR which has the intake already off under warranty/recall.

Ive been thinking about leaving as is and trading but I’m worried they will bolt it back up and it will spew coolant so bad I can’t trade it.

Attachments

• BD8A3847-D291-451B-8E58-4A3E9732119B.jpeg
    BD8A3847-D291-451B-8E58-4A3E9732119B.jpeg
    387.9 KB · Views: 35

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Are they still using the rubber hoses on the Gen 3 engines?

I haven't seen pictures of the third gen engine with the intake removed, but I wouldn't be surprised if the turbo coolant hose has been removed from the engine valley.

ZYoung

May 5, 2021
Truck Year
Hey guys, I’m new to the site. What is everyone using for a wrench to remove the oil line on top of the turbo - to back of the block in order to remove and gain access to replace the turbo coolant feed hose? I’ve heated a few wrenches and bent and am still fighting it. I’m thinking about just replacing the bad hose only with a silicone hose with nice clamps.0CA57230-72E4-4368-9767-32CF24D6E1A3.jpeg

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
I’m thinking about just replacing the bad hose only with a silicone hose with nice clamps.

If you don't want to source your own parts, refer to post #195. I know an engine builder who has used those parts on a few engines.