• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Turbo water coolant feed tube failure

Texascherokee

Mar 27, 2019
Truck Year
CR128 My 2016 Jeep GC EcoDiesel is at Dealership right now with a coolant leak at the back of the motor, my guess is same Turbo Feed Line you discussed. New to this forum, have you found a solid work around for this Rubber Hose problem?

cbaldwin

Mar 21, 2019
Truck Year
I just completed replacing the rubber portion of the turbo water feed hose on my 14 ED with 137k. EGR delete and GDE at 98k. I used high temp 3/8 power steering return hose. You can see the hose was swollen and split in several places. Cutting the 2 pinch clamps, removing the 22mm banjo bolt was the easy part. Reinstalled the hose with 2 worm drive clamps, make sure the excess feed on the clamps is trimmed out the way and reinstall banjo bolt with new copper washers from Mopar. Removing the intake is a 9 on a 10 scale for the average mechanic. I have been in the auto repair business for 28 years and this job is unusually tough because of access. Does not require a lift but a topside creeper is an absolute must in my opinion unless you are 7 ft tall. Lots of wiring harness and connectors to remove, all the injector hard lines and fuel rail on the driver side, turbo elbow, throttle body must be loosened but will not come out unless you remove water pump. I was able to remove the front intake bolt removing the throttle body and not removing the water pump. There are not coolant passages in the intake so no need to drain the coolant- that is about the only bonus in this job..
The intake is very tight between the heads- a lot of time moving it around trying to get it out of there. Definitely the most difficult intake I have ever removed. 11 intake bolts total- 2 in the back are tough and will take some skill with a mirror to guide the bolts back in place with magnetic socket. Make sure you tape up your intake ports, intercooler and turbo opening while making the hose repair..
The job would be pretty easy with the cab lifted up- issue is most shops do not have the recovery equipment yet for the R1234YF freon- Ram was very early using this as most manufactures did not pick it up until 17,18.
I ironic part is Napa gave me the 2" section of hose, spent about a $100 at the dealer for intake gaskets and some orings.
You will not be able to install a new hose assembly from the dealer unless you lift the cab off the frame, but removing the intake will allow you make a solid repair. The complete turbo has to be removed in order to install a new hose assembly- that is why it is so expensive at the dealer.
10-12 hours labor is fair for an experienced tech doing this repair for the first time- could prob do it in 6-8 hrs the second time with no interruptions.
I really hope there is not a second time for me!

Attachments

• IMG_1284.JPG
    IMG_1284.JPG
    332.1 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1282.JPG
    IMG_1282.JPG
    366.5 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1281.jpg
    IMG_1281.jpg
    457.3 KB · Views: 148

Texascherokee

Mar 27, 2019
Truck Year
Hello all. I am new to the forum. I recently had my first major issue with my ecodiesel and felt like I should share it with you all. Maybe some of you have experienced the same thing. So at 72k miles my engine decided to spring a major coolant leak. I first noticed the leak when backing into my driveway, noticed a trail of water. I jumped out of my truck to investigate. Water was running from the back of the motor and down the trans bellhousing. By the time I shut the truck off there was almost no coolant left in the motor. I'm lucky it happened when it did. I spent a few hours trying to diagnose where the coolant was coming from. With no avail I chose to have to have it towed to the nearest dealer. It took the mech a few days to diagnose what failed and allowed me to come to the shop to check it out. As some of you may know there is a coolant line that is in the valley of the motor that comes from the drivers side head and feeds to the turbo or formally called the turbo water feed tube. This tube is made up of two hard lines that are connected by a rubber heater hose. The heater hose split! To access this absolutely terrible engineering design the intake manifold had to be removed. Now why would they put a standard heater hose in one of the most hottest parts of the motor? I understand they need flex but they could have used something of better quality, maybe something that could withstand heat better like a silicon hose or designed the hose to run on the outside of the motor. Best part yet fca declined a warranty claim because it's considered rubber it is not covered under warranty past 36k miles. 2 weeks and $2100 later I finally got my truck back. I wrote this to give a heads up to the ecodiesel community of what could happen to you and what to expect. during this whole dilemma I couldn't find anyone that has experienced the same failure. No aftermarket manufacturers or shops that I contacted heard of this or make a bulletproof kit yet. I live in az. summers are hot and I tow. What do they think will happen to rubber over time in those type of conditions? Maybe my environmental conditions cause the failure sooner then others. I was able to keep the old part. How is this part not covered by warranty when you can't maintain this part that is in the valley of the motor without tearing the motor apart to replace it? The rubber hose is dry and brittle. I cant imagine that i am the only eco that has had this happen. Let me know if you have had this happen. Maybe we can ban together and open a class action agenst fca for this poor engineering design. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
View attachment 1629
Now mine is leaking, dealership asking for $2,600 to replace. OUCH Why is this part not covered?

Texascherokee

Mar 27, 2019
Truck Year
Hello all. I am new to the forum. I recently had my first major issue with my ecodiesel and felt like I should share it with you all. Maybe some of you have experienced the same thing. So at 72k miles my engine decided to spring a major coolant leak. I first noticed the leak when backing into my driveway, noticed a trail of water. I jumped out of my truck to investigate. Water was running from the back of the motor and down the trans bellhousing. By the time I shut the truck off there was almost no coolant left in the motor. I'm lucky it happened when it did. I spent a few hours trying to diagnose where the coolant was coming from. With no avail I chose to have to have it towed to the nearest dealer. It took the mech a few days to diagnose what failed and allowed me to come to the shop to check it out. As some of you may know there is a coolant line that is in the valley of the motor that comes from the drivers side head and feeds to the turbo or formally called the turbo water feed tube. This tube is made up of two hard lines that are connected by a rubber heater hose. The heater hose split! To access this absolutely terrible engineering design the intake manifold had to be removed. Now why would they put a standard heater hose in one of the most hottest parts of the motor? I understand they need flex but they could have used something of better quality, maybe something that could withstand heat better like a silicon hose or designed the hose to run on the outside of the motor. Best part yet fca declined a warranty claim because it's considered rubber it is not covered under warranty past 36k miles. 2 weeks and $2100 later I finally got my truck back. I wrote this to give a heads up to the ecodiesel community of what could happen to you and what to expect. during this whole dilemma I couldn't find anyone that has experienced the same failure. No aftermarket manufacturers or shops that I contacted heard of this or make a bulletproof kit yet. I live in az. summers are hot and I tow. What do they think will happen to rubber over time in those type of conditions? Maybe my environmental conditions cause the failure sooner then others. I was able to keep the old part. How is this part not covered by warranty when you can't maintain this part that is in the valley of the motor without tearing the motor apart to replace it? The rubber hose is dry and brittle. I cant imagine that i am the only eco that has had this happen. Let me know if you have had this happen. Maybe we can ban together and open a class action agenst fca for this poor engineering design. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
View attachment 1629
We here is the photo from Tech at Dealership I ask him to put some "heat shield" over hose, The other coolant line is broken just like your CR128 Repair has taken 2 weeks at cost of $2,626 plus $420 for rent car. Hope to get my 2016 Grand Cherokee EC back today :)

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0.jpg
    imagejpeg_0.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 110
  • Turbo Coolant Repair.pdf
    30.7 KB · Views: 86

Neil young

Apr 11, 2019
Truck Year
View attachment 1629
So I’ve just experienced the exact same issue. This is only four months after having the entire coolant system and exhaust system replaced in my 2015 jeep grand Cherokee eco diesel, as a result of the design flaw associated with the EGR valve. Are you all aware that there is a class action suit being settled within the next three weeks for all of us eco-diesel owners?

Texascherokee

Mar 27, 2019
Truck Year
Yes. I registered at https://www.ecodieselsettlement.com/ . My 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Turbo Coolant line failed at 44,000. Today Geico Insurance paid for the repair, very happy about that guys. Took the Dodge dealership 18 days to repair. The pulled the intake and wiper assembly

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I see no connection for Geico to pay for repairs....its a failed coolant house, Does Geico pay for new tires also.

Big Boyz Guns

May 14, 2019
Truck Year
The approved settlement at www.ecodieselsettlement.com includes all hoses related to the turbo system in the extended warranty to 10 years/120,000 miles. I would submit a claim to FCA for reimbursement for any repairs to this hose. I am currently in the dealers shop for the intercooler hoses being cracked? They tried to get me to pay $771 to repair it and $110 for diag. I emailed the federal court letter to the service advisor and am awaiting a response. On page 15 of the letter it clearly states any hoses related to the turbo or turbo system along with any diagnostic charges for a check engine light shall be covered even if the failed part is not a warranty item.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The approved settlement at www.ecodieselsettlement.com includes all hoses related to the turbo system in the extended warranty to 10 years/120,000 miles. I would submit a claim to FCA for reimbursement for any repairs to this hose. I am currently in the dealers shop for the intercooler hoses being cracked? They tried to get me to pay $771 to repair it and $110 for diag. I emailed the federal court letter to the service advisor and am awaiting a response. On page 15 of the letter it clearly states any hoses related to the turbo or turbo system along with any diagnostic charges for a check engine light shall be covered even if the failed part is not a warranty item.

Correct, I verified this Yesterday...All Dealerships have the info on this, You should have No problem with this being covered in any competent Dealership.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
It is a great catch! Note that it is on page 208 of 224 of the settlement agreement. One other thing to point out is that the dealer cannot charge you for a CEL diagnosis.

The turbocharger system including all related hoses and pipes, all sensors and actuators. Additionally, the Extended Warranty shall cover the cost of any OBD Diagnostic Scan for malfunctions that trigger the OBD Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL), regardless of whether the malfunction is attributable to a part that is covered under the Extended Warranty.

If anyone has a problem getting warranty coverage of any of these covered repairs it will be interesting to see how Hagens Berman (the law firm) and Judge Chen handle it. One thing I can say is that the law firm and the EPA did a good job of taking care of us owners. I for one appreciate what they did for us.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
CS, its NOT in the settlement for FCA regulate Dealership Functions, If any Dealership refuses to cover the stated components, You can bring the matter before FCA, Most likely FCA will instruct to go to another Dealership, Your dispute is with the Dealership NOT FCA.

Hagen Berman did little for Owners, It clearly was the DOJ/EPA prosecution that aided Owners, IMO it did NOT go far enough, FCA broke Laws and clearly sold the ED in bad Faith.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
CS, its NOT in the settlement for FCA regulate Dealership Functions, If any Dealership refuses to cover the stated components, You can bring the matter before FCA, Most likely FCA will instruct to go to another Dealership, Your dispute is with the Dealership NOT FCA.

Hagen Berman did little for Owners, It clearly was the DOJ/EPA prosecution that aided Owners, IMO it did NOT go far enough, FCA broke Laws and clearly sold the ED in bad Faith.
If you go to a dealer and they refuse a covered repair and you call FCA and open a case and FCA tells you the dealer is their "eyes and ears" and go pound sand, a letter to Judge Chen, Hagens Berman and the EPA gets you your money. On the other hand, taking the consent decree and your bill into small claims also gets you a refund. (case against FCA, not the dealer).

I think they did ok, TC. this was not a suit about the engine failures - that suit is yet to come. Have no doubt though - it is in the works.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
FCA cannot force Dealerships to perform work/repairs. FCA will authorize and reimburse the dealership for repairs/work.

I have not look into Hagens Berman compliant on engine failures.... Case 3 17-MD-02777-EMC FILED 11/9/17 SF CA, REPRESENTS INDIVIUALS.

2 17 CV 11633 ,FILED IN MI 5/23/17 IS THE DOJ/EPA USA ,IS THE SETTLEMENT CASE.

I see others like 2 17 CV 12168 7/3/17 FCA/ Cummins that the complaint mentions the Ecodiesel.

Texascherokee

Mar 27, 2019
Truck Year
Unfortunately My Turbo Coolant Line failed 2 weeks before the EcoDiesel Settlement went active. Now I am a "class member" in the claim and YES BIG BOYZ the Turbo Coolant is covered in the Settlement along with so much more. YES ! !

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
CS, what is your background? Just curious what kind of credibility you have. You write as though you are an authority on every subject.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
CS, what is your background? Just curious what kind of credibility you have. You write as though you are an authority on every subject.
ha ha! Doubtful! I read a lot and have done my own work. Professionally I do Contracts Law and personally I am a shade tree mechanic. When I post a video from Youtube it is where I have done it myself first.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The intake Plenum is NOT covered, However it is covered under 100K miles / 5 years, IMO make sure you get'er covered and replaced before 100k miles and 5 years is up.... It will be sooted up bad and will eventually cost in long term ownership.

Texascherokee

Mar 27, 2019
Truck Year
After I hit 120,000 miles and run out of this extended warranty, first thing I'm doing is EGR delete. That should keep things cleaner and run much better