• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Using the Edge Insight CTS 2

Hawk777

Sep 27, 2015
Truck Year
Hello all new to the forum, just purchased used (27K mi) 2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn, and of course did most of my homework after the purchase due to the deal coming up fast out of the blue. Waiting on CTS2 with the idea of mainly maintenance alerts and monitoring the Regen cycles. In regard to the latter, do you need to install anything extra to monitor the temps involved? As far as turbo temps as well? In the manual it indicates the amount of time you should idle after running under various conditions but does not indicate the temps the turbo should be under. Can this be monitored without any add'l work to the truck and what are those temps? Forgive the barrage of questions and if they seem like they're coming from someone clueless about cars in gen and diesels in particular, they are...Hawk

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I don't have a CTS 2, but from the website it gives you the following factory PIDS (paramaters).
  • EGT1 Turbo Inlet
  • EGT DOC Inlet
  • EGT3 DPF Inlet
  • EGT4 SCT Inle
Those are factory sensors that are suppose to be read via the CTS.

Hawk777

Sep 27, 2015
Truck Year
Thanks BoostN for the reply. I would rather not do any aftermarket modifications to the exhaust system and it was unclear if the parameters pertaining to the turbo and the DPF Regen requires drilling holes. I have read somewhere that even monitoring and not tuning may void the warranty and wondered if anyone had experience with this. I'm reluctant to call Dodge as I think their default will be to say farting in the cab will void the warranty...

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I believe the monitoring devices can be useful, however, as I've said before, Ram engineered these trucks to be user friendly. And they truly are. Cool down periods & common sense driving until she heats up are about the only things to worry about. IMO, all these gauges do is satisfy curiosity.

Hawk777

Sep 27, 2015
Truck Year
Thanks fellas for your replies. Like the parent of a new first born, I feel like I wanna smother the ED with attention and in the end I'll probably be like "how silly that was"...

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Glad I got my Edge CS2. before the Canadian Loonie died in value. I monitor all EGT1 to EGT4 temperature and ERT (Radiator), must have when using winter covers. ODII is a consumer option. You aren't modifying anything, so no warranty issue, but like the honesty of VW, they will try anything to cheat the customer. The only area, where you can pay, is the connection, should your EDGE monitor blow up, catch fire, then EDGE should be responsible and/or your insurance.

You have a greater chance of getting hit by lighting, I would think.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
OP, did you ever get the Edge? Thoughts?

3 months since I posted in this thread, I did a 180 and ordered the CS2. Oh well, what can I say, I'm curious...

My question is, can anyone recommend a pillar mount? Specifically a part number? I've searched around and am drawing a blank as to which ones fit or not. Same as for a '15 2500?

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I do have the CS2 and don't use any mount. I ran the cable between steering wheel and Evic. Doesn't block the truck EVIC and stays in place. I may have posted a picture of it awhile back

Hawk777

Sep 27, 2015
Truck Year
Gobrowntruck21:
Why, yes I did buy the CTS2 insight. Love it! It's very useful in that I will not turn off the engine until the turbo temp is below 400 (Ithink it's EGF2, CMIIW), and most importantly I can anticipate a regen (when soot% is >72% or so), and even initiate a manual regen. Yes, you heard right. You can initiate a regen...I've learned that you can do the manual regen in about 10 min, in the driveway by keeping the rpm around 2500. Also I did get a mount. It's a pillar mount and they sell it at insight...hard to get the screw in but what really helped me is one of those mirrors, almost like small round mirror that dentists use but the Home Depot type...

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I did post more info in another thread. I notice REGEN occurs at 65% for me, if it doesn't, it because the EGT 3 & 4 can't reach the temperature of over 1000 F, plus the Radiator temperature is too low at the time (at least 180 F was the coldest point before REGEN occurred, normal temperature is 220 F). Also outside weather temperature, during winter time or not using Winter covers can delay the REGEN cycle. If it takes too long, you may get the EVIC message 80 % Filter full alert.

One will never get any REGEN started if those temperatures are not met. If a person was to ignore it, I believe at 90 percent it will tell you to go to dealer right away. Pass that, I believe it will cost, as they may consider it as failure on one's part to provide proper maintenance.

Mounting the way, I did, there is no damage/marks on the dash and low profile, makes it less visible to the public eye. At trade in time, nothing to repair/hide.

I personally prefer not to do a force REGEN, especially reaving the engine rpm to 2000. First, it lowers the fuel economy. One of the main reason people buy the EcoDiesel.

Also, it doesn't make sense for FCA to force newbies to diesel to do this. So, it important for them to have the truck firmware take care of it without customer intervention as much as possible. Can be a turn off to diesel newbies, I would think.

Last edited:

Hawk777

Sep 27, 2015
Truck Year
Seiko:
Agreed, won't initiate regen manually if I can help it but as others may attest, having a job where your "on call" on certain days necessitates predictability and control. Last thing anyone wants is running into a hospital emergency and the regen initiating right in the parking lot..

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
So I finally finished the CS2 install on my last day of a too short vacation. For those that are curious, I'll post a quick summary. Pardon the subpar pictures and crap grammar...
-use a nylon pry tool to flip down the bolt covers of the A-pillar
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453762174.239266.jpg
-remove the 2- 10mm bolts; pull cover up and out
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453762356.312351.jpg
-measured 1-3/4" from center of cord placement to inside edge of closest tab keeper of trim piece; marked appropriately
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453762452.430627.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453762465.273597.jpg
-cut out trim piece approx. diameter of power cord (Dremel tool would've been handy, I used a razor blade
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453762564.924499.jpg
-route cord and feed down through dash; replace trim (rubber door seal is outside of trim remember)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453762669.018757.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453762684.732821.jpg
-bundle up remaining cord and zip tie under dash as high and securely as possible
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453762770.310807.jpg

I have AMP steps so my pass through harness shows, other then that it's a clean install using just the supplied suction cup mount.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453762858.829308.jpg

Any questions or comments just ask.

Edit- don't know why that last fuzzy pic is there, it's not deleting it for some reason.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453762889.392759.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453762889.392759.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Wow, you sure went to town on that installation. Interesting.... Good to know... I'm a ham radio operator and still thinking about how to install radios/antenna.

I'm still using this method for my Edge CS2, so far, it working okay and content with it so far..

I did try to do a REGEN via Edge, to see how it worked, but it didn't work, just lock up and I had to unplug the unit and plug in. I have sent an E-mail to Edge to see what they have to suggest. I still miss the REGEN distance, that feature disappeared when last firmware update by FCA, according to Edge it was removed. I notice recently that on the highway trip, I manage to only have 1 REGEN per tank (1000 km). The REGEN distance would be nice, so I don't have to track it.

I'm glad that I can see the Soot levels and the EGT1 to EGT4 temperatures, it is revealing.

IMG_1594.jpg

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Is the EGT(#) for turbo inlet the PID used to monitor turbo temps for a sufficient cool down period?

What is an acceptable turbo temperature for shutdown? Yes, I've read the cool down chart in the manual, just would like to relate that to real world experience.

There is a lot to learn with this new gadget. So many EGTs, it's hard to comprehend exactly what means what.

Really like seeing what's going on with soot and the DPF%. Interesting.

My RegenDist is listed at approx. 460miles. Not sure what to make of that.

Haven't tried a mobile regen yet. Don't think I'll have to. It's been seamless for the 12,800miles so far, I'll just watch for now.

Last edited:

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
If your REGEN Distance is saying 460 miles, that means you have run your vehicle for 460 miles since your last REGEN. Once you complete a REGEN, it will reset to zero.

EGT3 and EGT4 will go up in temperature, when it calling for a REGEN cycle. They will climb to 1250 + F and 1100 + F. Give or take, but normally it runs at about 500 or so F. when no REGEN cycle is occurring. However, when going on a highway trip, it will run around 800 degrees F and at this temperature, even though no REGEN is occurring, your Soot percentage will climb much slower.

Those figures will vary, depending on outside temperature, speed you are driving and load.

If you are in REGEN cycle, not finish yet and want to stop and shut off the engine, I would wait until it drop to about 800 F., some wait until it drops to 500. When you start up the vehicle, your Soot level may fall 20 to 40 percent. If it was completed, it should read about 9 percent.

The EGT1 and EGT2 can climb to 1500 degrees F. The harder the vehicle is working, pulling, passing, it will climb very fast from about 500 degrees F to 1500 degrees F.

I haven't allow it to go pass 1500 degrees. I experience that, only when towing my trailer in the mountains and/or fighting heavy winds, at the same time trying to keep with the speed limit.

I use winter covers and have an alarm set for 230 F., for my Engine Coolant (ECT) normally the highest temperature is about 220 F. Even when it about 10 Celsius and colder, the coolant never goes above 220 with the winter covers fully closed.

With the winter covers, the truck heat up faster, half of the time, which results in improve DEF usage and on the highway, it seems I can go 1000 KM, about 1 tank full of Diesel on one REGEN.

I'm also testing a new diesel fuel, Shell V-power that seems to improve fuel economy a little and Soot levels climb a bit slower it seems. Also it protects against fuel nozzle built up and rust, that can improve on power and fuel economy. Only my first tank full, too soon to make conclusions.

This is my current observations and perhaps in time, I may make any correction or additions.

Here are the list of PIDS

Accel Pedal Position
Ambient Air Temp
Barometric Pressure InHg
Battery Voltage
Comp. Inlet Density
Corrected Speed
Distance Bewteen Regens
DPF Soot Mass %
Engine Coolant Temp
Engine Load
Engine Oil Temp
Engine RPM
Fuel Rail Pressure
G Force
G Force Calculated
G Force Lateral
Gear with Reverse
Gear with TCL
Horsepower
Intake Air Temp
Manifold ABS Pressure
Mileage Avrg.
Mileage Coach
Mileage Instant
Percent Grade
Run Time
Time 0-60
Time 1/4 Mile
Torque
Trans Temp
Trip Odometer
Turbo Boost
VGT Actuator Position
VGT Actuator Commanded Position
EGT1 Turbo Inlet
EGT DOC Inlet
EGT3 DPF Inlet
EGT4 SCT Inlet
Intake Manifold Air Temp
Current Torque Output

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
One thing I've noticed is EGT4, (turbo inlet temp), doesn't cool down nearly as quick as I thought it would.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I notice during REGEN cycle, it is the last or the slowest to climb to 1100 F or so. Didn't notice it take longer to cool down, it seems to be close to EGT3.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
So do you watch a certain EGT before shutdown, if so which one? What is your comfort zone degree wise?

Appreciate all your posts Seiko. You're an asset to this forum.