• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What's the best ecodiesel tune today for "EGR shutoff" but keeping equipment installed?

SkolUMah

Mar 10, 2021
Truck Year
Hi, I'm new here. I've been reading quite a bit lately about delete and tuning, but I'm skeptical that Minnesota may soon require emissions testing for vehicle registration. Is the a quality tune out there which bypasses EGR without full delete? Or shuts off DEF and satisfies DPF sensors? I want something that can easily be converted to stock tune for inspection if necessary. From what I gather, GDE was once the best choice but now they don't fully 'shut off' EGR, still sending some soot through engine. HD Diesel seems to have a tune to do what I'm looking for, but does that then plug up the DPF? I'm interested to learn what is most preferred and proven to eliminate issues and promote longevity of the engine. As I stated, I'm new to the ecodiesel and would appreciate some recommendations for best oil and filter, how often to change, etc. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Great color! Do your due diligence and research before pulling the trigger in a tune. Plenty of reading material here on the forum.

scoffman

Aug 21, 2019
Truck Year
Sofa King Tuned allows you to switch back and forth between your stock OEM tune and the one you buy from them, in case you need to take the truck back into the stealership, or get it emission tested, etc.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
And I believe SFT is on sale again.
SFT is a great tune. Be sure to get their tranny tune as well

Mesatoneman

Dec 27, 2020
Truck Year
If interested in sft, check there Facebook page on occasion. I don’t do Facebook but can still look at there page. They post there sales on there. I think the sale JJ was referring to was a one day thing for ST.Pat day and might be expired. If you think your area may go to emm testing, And you used sft, You may want to go with a stage 1 toon. I believe Stage 2 requires exhaust mods and would be a red flag if they noticed the non factory exhaust mid-pipe. When I got sft it came with Stg1 and Stg2 and are both on my Touchscreen. If I decide to go stg2, it’s just a matter of installing exhaust parts and reflash with stg2.

ironhead

May 15, 2019
Truck Year
SFT all the way(y). I was broke down 400 miles from home on vacation and they worked very hard to get me a stage 2 tune to get me back on the road. I was very impressed with the customer service. also they have there tune updated if you had the W58 recall done for crankshaft position sensor. I don't know at this point which companies have there tunes ready if you did the recall. I would do the recall and go with SFT

Mesatoneman

Dec 27, 2020
Truck Year
Does the GDE toon decommission the eqr and allow you to leave all the related parts on your engine ? Can you switch from one toon to another in a matter of minutes with GDE?

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
As far as I know, gde does not remove egr functionality but they do or will offer a touch screen tuner for storing tune on file and reverting back. Speaking of which I need to see if Jimmy at SKT can put my engine and trans tunes on one handheld now!

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
As far as I know, gde does not remove egr functionality but they do or will offer a touch screen tuner for storing tune on file and reverting back. Speaking of which I need to see if Jimmy at SKT can put my engine and trans tunes on one handheld now!
They put both on one for me. So now I have a useless tranny touchscreen in a drawer.
I can't remember if there was a charge or not.
I also have a useless pre touchscreen device in the same drawer

Ronald Doupe

Mar 18, 2018
Truck Year
I have a 2017 bought new, drove it for 15000 miles stock, the factory tune was awful, hesitation, lack of power a common issue then, I bought the SFT engine trans combo about 2 years ago, at first I liked it, a little more power more snap when you take off, I wasn't all that happy with the trans tune, seamed to shift to soon and on a hill at slow speed couldn't find a gear it liked, then came the 2 recalls one was the tone ring trans re-flash, the other was the EGR replacement, so I contacted SFT for return to stock then was going to reload it after the Dealer trip, SFT did nothing, no reply, then what did I use to load the SFT program 2 years back, I told them no reply, so I take it in all done in 2 hours, pick it up it has never run so well, my opinion the new factory tune is the one I like and will leave it alone, others may have other opinions, EGR soot or not it just runs great now

Bruno55

Apr 7, 2021
Truck Year
There are a few from what I’m seeing here.. GDE, SofaKing, and HD Diesel for those of us in Canada... I think all are simply done using the flash tool, no removal of parts unless you go for full delete, then it’s just several pieces of exhaust pipe that are changed, EGR remains but electronically shut off

jcj1576

May 6, 2018
Truck Year
The non-compliant GDE tunes electronically disable the EGR. These were available before April 2020 or so. If you had a non-compliant GDE tune and then had the W58 completed and bought the $50 update from GDE and reflashed your ECU, you now have the compliant version that does not disable the EGR anymore.

When I had V08 and W58 completed, I removed my GDE trans tune and re-installed the factory ECU. When I got the truck home, I bolted my non-compliant GDE ECU back on and reinstalled the trans tune. No problems or errors since and truck runs like a million bucks again.

jpezz

May 26, 2021
Truck Year
I have been running the SFK tune for 4 days. I did the EGR delete. My DEF gauge has been disabled since the install. I had half a tank of DEF when I installed the tune. Now the gauge doesn't move at all on start up. It just sits at the bottom and is dead. Has anyone else had this happen? I am working with Frank at SFK but he has not provided an explanation and does not seem to know why this happened. Apparently it is not normal.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Yes mine is the same way. I had a full tank now it’s on empty. Wondering if it’s because I don’t have tank unplugged and removed.

jpezz

May 26, 2021
Truck Year
Yes mine is the same way. I had a full tank now it’s on empty. Wondering if it’s because I don’t have tank unplugged and removed.
How long have you been running yours like that? Has it caused any problems?